Sign in to follow this  
Guest vinteg

Which Motion Graphics Software do you use?

Guest vinteg

Hi Everyone,

I've been using After Effects for about a year now. I'm pretty comfortable using this software. I would say that I am fairly new in this industry but was looking at learning other packages. Which software do you guys use and recommend for motion design?

Guest firemind

Personally I use Discreet Combustion, but I'm looking into After effects as well, since it seems most companies still use that. I also use Cinema 4D and 3dsmax for 3D. And Flash for web ofcouse :)

Guest vinteg

Yeah I'm doing the opposite, I use AE but currently looking into Combustion and it seems very nice. I personally use Maya for 3D.

Guest firemind

Maya was a bit out of my range both with price and complexity.

Ofcourse now the price has drastically dropped and there are dozens if not hundreds of training vids for Maya, but I'm too used to C4D & max now. If only the changes had happened sooner ;)

Guest memyselfandi

After Effects is nice in the way that there's a big community and lots of plugins and stuff, but I find it way to slow when doing heavier things. I used to work with Rayz, and at times I still do. Still looking for a replacer that suits me.

Guest ged

I´ve been comping for about 7 years now and have to say that my dreams were answered the day I was introduced to Digital Fusion. You can tell it was designed by Compositors and not coders. It is node-based and resolution independent , evry tool is instantly available and can be masked directly, I can no longer work in AE because I get frustrated knowing how simple what I need to do would be in DF. ( by the way AE plugins work in DF)

My 2 bobs worth.

Guest grinner

I use Symphony, After Effects and Photoshop in every session. I like using Aura and SoftImage 3D when time allows.

Guest smedly

I use AE and Photoshop for most of the promos and endpages that I do. LightWave for all my 3D work. Very happy with LightWave. I like the sound of Digital Fusion though. Have to see if I can get that into the budget :lol:

Jay

Polyrich Forums

Guest firemind

There's a special deal for LW users to get DF+, the 'light' version of Digital Fusion. I'm on the DF mailing list and there's tons of LW users on there recently. So it sounds like the deal is working :)

Guest smedly

I hate "light" versions. I can never stop thinking that I'm missing out on something and I end up getting the full version. Good marketing I guess.

Sounds like a good deal. I hope to be upgrading to LW8 soon. Looks like it should be good.

Jay

Polyrich Media

Guest igoraki

DFX is "light" only in terms of color depth you can work in.DFX is 8-bit only and "full" DF is 16-bit and float.

Guest facial deluxe
There's a special deal for LW users to get DF+, the 'light' version of Digital Fusion. I'm on the DF mailing list and there's tons of LW users on there recently. So it sounds like the deal is working :)

I'm one of them :)

Hi all, first post here

Guest igorschmigor

hi facial, welcome. I saw your website. Not bad. I'm not a big fan of 3d-characters with realistic proportions but it's still cool.

Something different: by the url of your site i guess you're from france so i have a question to you. I've seen a lot of good french sites on domains like .free.fr , noos.fr is new to me. But both seem to be free domains and maybe free hosts. Are they? Because i'm looking for some good free webspace.

Guest facial deluxe

Hi Igor,

Noos is absolutely not free, it's part of a cable (tv+web) offert and include 100mb of personnal page space. those 100 Mb are split in 10 or 20 Mb, not very handy in fact....

Guest firemind

You can get decent hosting for $5 a month these days, domains for 8 bucks a year. Why would you suffer through shitty free hosting with banner ads on top of everything?

Guest Scorch

After Effects, Infini D, Lightwave, 3D studio, and of course photoshop & illustrator. It's a budget choice!

Guest igorschmigor

oh, noos is not free :(

I just thought so, because if it isn't you might as well choose a more catchy domain, like www.facialdeluxe.fr.

Yes, firemind, i know free space is available at 5$ a month, but to me as a student even this isn't that little. Especially if you consider that i have nothing to sell or promote, it's really just for fun.

scorch: when you say it's a budget choice, what exactly do you mean? Couse three 3d animation packages seems quite a lot to me, you could've bought Maya for the price of that. Which software would you have bought on a larger budget?

Guest pasto

Igor, Noos gives you free space with "non catchy" name if you take their internet connection. They are providers, not a hosting company.

pasto

Guest facial deluxe

Igor, yeo I know, gotta move my ass on that... Always something better to do than fixing my site :roll: