Sign in to follow this  
jmanstyle

After Effects On Mac Pro

Hi guys...

I am currently working on a Quad-Core Mac Pro, 2Gb Ram and I do a lot of work with After Effects 7.

The machine has been working fine till yesterday, when I went to render out a 2min video from after effects, it would get about a third of the way in the render queue and then crash.

I've been thinking it may be due to installing the update Quicktime 7.1.5 earlier that day... It was working fine with Quicktime 7.1.3.

Has anyone else experienced this? Is there a way to convert back to an older version of Quicktime on a Mac?

Any help would be fantastic... I've tried reducing Cache Size, Max Ram usage and purging every 5 frames in the secret menu, but sill not working well.

Cheers.

Would not rely on Rosetta emulated software... currently only ¨clean'way to use AE7 is in Windows.... recon running it trough Bootcamp... been using AE7 on Mac Pro for 3months and had no weird problems - that is using XP trough Bootcamp. You get your Adobe regs transfered to PC by calling them.... The next AE and CS3 will be universal on OS X.

Edited by FreeStyleR75

Guest Sao_Bento
Would not rely on Rosetta emulated software... currently only ¨clean'way to use AE7 is in Windows.... recon running it trough Bootcamp... been using AE7 on Mac Pro for 3months and had no weird problems - that is using XP trough Bootcamp. You get your Adobe regs transfered to PC by calling them.... The next AE and CS3 will be universal on OS X.

I think we've narrowed the problem down to the graphics card. Those of us using the ATI x1900 don't have any problems running AE7 under Mac OS X.

AE 8 will be announced at NAB, so you could probably expect it to be shipping towards the end of May.

anyone know where i can find one of them there ATI x1900 512MB'ers? they's like white gators or purple kangaroos or pagacorns or something.

we had similar problems on our quads. We found reducing the amount of ram allocated to 2 -3 gigs solved the problem. Why? I dont know but the issue seems resolved. good luck i hope it helps

Guest Sao_Bento
why is that one a $100 more than the one at the apple store? both 512MB, is there a difference in the two cards?

The "free market"?

Open up activity monitor ... see what other apps are currently running in rosetta , select them then click force quit process. From the research I did, there's something to do with Rosetta and its naughty memory sharing issues. I was finally able to render stuff that I hadn't succeeded just by quitting out of bknd applications and such that were still running in rosetta.