Sign in to follow this  
Tread

Surprised no one has started a thread yet. Maybe it has, and I didn't see it.

Saw it last night. I loved it, but I'm an easy sell. The acting was a little dodgy for me, and the story itself felt a tiny thin, but I quickly forgot about that once the amazing visuals kicked in and the battle scenes started. Absolutely sick. I'd pay to see it again in the theaters. How can you not like copious amounts of blood and heavy metal music?

discuss...

Guest Sao_Bento

Saw it last night too. It was a good time. I guess I wasn't expecting anything more than eye candy - and it delivered on that. Some of the dialogue is way corny, but I only noticed one key that was bad enough to distract me. I'd highly recommend it.

Guest Sao_Bento
sao, is it true that the movie has an pro-iran invasion undertone? miller is a nut so this wouldn't surprise me.

I wouldn't say so - In the entire movie, there is one Persian guy - Xerxes. He's a giant who looks like the gender non-specific bad guy kid from the Stargate movie. There are some archers in middle eastern dress, but the army is largely composed of monsters rather than men. The combat styles, costumes, and weapons draw from all the cultures that were ruled over by Darius - Xerxes' father. That includes pretty much all of Asia, so I wouldn't say it's anti-Iranian at all - anti people of color - now that might be another story.

The movie fucking rules. Story light, visuals heavy, but it delivers. Violent, 92% slow motion, not much bull shit. Liked it better than Sin Titty. The middle of the movie is great. People who read into imagining than it has anything to do with American politics are idiots. They are fighting the Persian empire... it's actually a historical fact that Sparta went against Xerxes and the Persian Empire. Having said that, this is not really a historical movie and more of a fantasy movie. In my opinion the best fantasy movie made yet (LOTR suxs). Another good way of describing this movie is as a Frazetta painting come to life. Also, you might call this the movie version of Las Vegas.

Bottom line: almost as good as a great video game. If you've beat Gear of War and are waiting for Bioshock or Assasins Creed... check it out for sure.

Miller wrote this closer to the first "war" in iraq, desert storm. if theres any relation to the current situation, its purely coincidental.

loved the movie, delivered everything you wanted. the main actor suprised me - he did a really great job. same for the lotr guy who played the storyteller - liked him way more in this.

i want a 90 minute version with the subplot they added to the book removed, and some of the slow motion sped up.

better than i thought? yes - i hated zack snyder's direction on dawn of the dead. do i think he's good enough to direct the watchmen? no. but i'm pretty picky.

After watching 300 I immediately went home and did situps. This morning my neighbor gave me crap about parking in his space, so I kicked him into the soon to be bottomless pit I was digging. (BTW, the hardest part about digging a bottomless pit is finding a place to but all that dirt.) When his wife came looking for him I stabbed her through the chest with my shovel. After that I realized my beard grew an extra 2 inches.

300 spartans standing up to the overwhelming force of the worlds greatest superpower? The Taliban should be showing it to their recruits.

this is exactly what makes the movie creepy... the overbearing irony of the story. not bad or evil, just creepy. as fuck.

and if it makes anyone feel better about their self image, i can guarrantee you that those abs were enhanced on-set via airbrush makeup techniques.

I keep having to add blood to everything I do related to this film (which ain't much). Not just blood, but their blood, hero blood, rich in mead and the raw flesh of the foe.

I only saw the trailer, and visually it is fantastic, as was Sin City. The question is, is the "look" inseparable from the content; can it only be used for stereotyped, cartoon book macho violence, or will we see it being used on stories about fwuffy bunny rabbits?

Went and saw it last night! Fucking movie blew me away, visually. The plot was decent and the acting, wasnt great, but better than I expected. Finding out that although it wasnt totally realistic with the beasts and monsters. The fight between what the movie showed as 300 had actually happened with 1000. WIKI INFO...but all and all great movie. I liked it a hell of a lot better than Sin City.

Guest Sao_Bento
actually it was 300 spartans and 700 Thespians, which the movie is true to.

It's ironic that the Thespians had to be played by actors.

cut out all the dialog and 'setup', leave the 30 mins or so of fight scenes: that would be a movie i'd recommend. it would only be fair considering that's clearly where they spent the most time and money.

After they did such a good job sticking to the book for Sin City I was horribly disapointed with how they lamed up the movie with all the extra crap about the wife going before the council. It was a visually stunning film but they crapped all over the story & the dialogue every chance they go.

As far as the political undertones go, the movie is an underdog story. you could apply any number of political sinarios to it... that doesn't mean it was the intent of anyone involved.

After they did such a good job sticking to the book for Sin City I was horribly disapointed with how they lamed up the movie with all the extra crap about the wife going before the council. It was a visually stunning film but they crapped all over the story & the dialogue every chance they go.

As far as the political undertones go, the movie is an underdog story. you could apply any number of political sinarios to it... that doesn't mean it was the intent of anyone involved.

interesting that the whole thing about pleading with the senate to send in more troops was added... because i felt that was by far the most pertinent (remotely) propaganda-ish thing in the whole movie. keep an eye out for a bush speech that's verbatim, except with "sparta" replaced with " 'merica". then hopefully some senator will jump up and accuse him of being a man whore too.

just saw it tonight... i don't care enough to go into too much detail, but basically i thought it was the most racist, jingoistic piece of shit i've seen since, well, an Army commercial.

the part that struk me the most was the dehumanization of the persians into bloodthirsty, crazed beasts- for example, the masks, xerxes' voice, the giant in chains, etc. this is a standard tactic in wartime propaganda with implications for the iraq war that i think are obvious.

the VFX and other visuals were absolutely stunning, some of the best in history without a doubt.

That's laughable. Obvious implications for the Iraq war? IMO it's easier to argue that the spartans were the bloodthirsty ones. The guys in the masks, I'm not sure they were even necessarily supposed to be proper Persians... the Persians had conquered everyone else within reach, and Leonidas even commented halfway through the film that he'd slain more slaves than warriors. The mask guys were referred to as immortals, whatever that meant.

SPOIILER-

What sort of wartime propaganda portrays the enemy as scary-ass motherfuckers that are ten feet tall and will chew your ear off like a dog? I don't think that would have the effect you imply is intended. Not only that, but the Persians defeated the heroes of the film in the end (even if it did end on a slight uptick). Sounds like shitty propaganda to me.

I just gotta laugh when people find Iraq war parallels/cultural warfare/imperialism in a shallow action movie like this. I was even halfway shocked when Ahmadinejad said it.

All in all it's a decent flick. I went in expecting bloodshed and eye candy and got that tenfold. They could've left out all the shit with 'queen whore'.

the part that struk me the most was the dehumanization of the persians into bloodthirsty, crazed beasts- for example, the masks, xerxes' voice, the giant in chains, etc. this is a standard tactic in wartime propaganda with implications for the iraq war that i think are obvious.