Sign in to follow this  
seffil

Feedback for my demoreel

Hi guys, here is my motion graphics demoreel that I put together to show some of the projects that I had the opportunity to work on. I wrote (co-wrote in some of them), modeled (2D/3D), animated and composited them. I also took the liberty to wrote the soundtrack and most of the sound FX. The 3D modeling was done in 3Ds Max 6.0. The compositing was done in After Effects 6.5 (along with the VFX). And for final editing for the demoreel, I did it in Premiere Pro. Feel free to give me any feedback. If you are interested to see online portfolio go to: http://seffil.50webs.com

http://mirror.video.blip.tv/Seffil-demreel...solution409.mov

PS: I am not good with typography but you know some website that could help me, I would much appreciate that.

Thanks

I thought there was some good stuff in there, particularly the BFL segment. Some recommendations-

The frame rate is 10fps, way too low to accurately represent the motion here. Most reels I've seen recently

are 29.97, the absolute minimum would be 15fps, and even that's marginal. Consider two seperate reels, one for

mograph, one for VFX. Yours runs long, and the camera tracking/modeling stuff at the end isn't a strong sell.

As for type, the flaming/beveled/outer glow SED and Bank Gothic-ish text are bad news. There's tons of typographic

resources on here, do a search and you'll be busy for days. It's a solid start, but not very many nail it on their first try.

Keep choppin'.

I thought there was some good stuff in there, particularly the BFL segment. Some recommendations-

The frame rate is 10fps, way too low to accurately represent the motion here. Most reels I've seen recently

are 29.97, the absolute minimum would be 15fps, and even that's marginal.

ditto the frame rate killed it, their were a few nice things but it was way to long

Hey Salah ,

I was wondering why it played back so choppy, yeah must be a frame rate issue. I see you've got some newer work in there. I gotta say, the newer stuff looks better than your other stuff, especially the BFL. I would also agree with the other comment about splitting up your work into seperate reels, one for mograph and one for VFX. Since you've added in this new motion graphic work, the VFX work(tracking, etc..) and human torch doesn't really seem to fit anymore. I would take those parts out of this reel, and just work on getting more mograph work in there.

That's what I'm trying to do myself, now that I've got more work completed, split my work up into multiple reels. That way you can send the appropriate reel to the position you're applying for, since chances are you won't be doing mograph and VFX work at the same position.

Take care bud

are 29.97, the absolute minimum would be 15fps, and even that's marginal. Consider two seperate reels, one for

mograph, one for VFX. Yours runs long, and the camera tracking/modeling stuff at the end isn't a strong sell.

As for type, the flaming/beveled/outer glow SED and Bank Gothic-ish text are bad news. There's tons of typographic

resources on here, do a search and you'll be busy for days. It's a solid start, but not very many nail it on their first try.

Keep choppin'.

Thanks Drnz, I appreciate your feedback very much. I will definitely split the mograph from the vfx project. Regarding the SED logo, I had designed it for my first reel which emphasized on showing off my VFx skills. But I will redesign a new one that will be more appropriate for my mograph demo and I will also make sure that the frame rate is at least 15 fps (it was originally a 5Gb file compressed into a 26 Mb file).

Edited by seffil

Hey Salah ,

I was wondering why it played back so choppy, yeah must be a frame rate issue. I see you've got some newer work in there. I gotta say, the newer stuff looks better than your other stuff, especially the BFL. I would also agree with the other comment about splitting up your work into seperate reels, one for mograph and one for VFX. Since you've added in this new motion graphic work, the VFX work(tracking, etc..) and human torch doesn't really seem to fit anymore. I would take those parts out of this reel, and just work on getting more mograph work in there.

That's what I'm trying to do myself, now that I've got more work completed, split my work up into multiple reels. That way you can send the appropriate reel to the position you're applying for, since chances are you won't be doing mograph and VFX work at the same position.

Take care bud

Hi Rudy, thanks very much for your feedback :) . The reason why I put the VFX work on my reel is because a lot of client have been interested in my services after seeing my VFX project (even though the projects they offered me were all mograph). But I will try to separate both categories. I would like to ask you and everyone a big favor; I am going to put together a montage of numbered potential clip for my demoreel, and I will need your help to let me know which clips would work for my demo. I will have the montage ready by next week. I thank you all in advance :) .