Sign in to follow this  
jaan

suggest music/audio mixing software?

hello my fellow tribesman and tribesladies.

just when i thought my project couldn't get any less profitable, it turns out that i will have to play music mixer/engineer. i need to just basically mix between different tracks within a multitrack song and i know squat crappity about music or audio.... so any suggestions for something cheap/free that can do such basic functions while also letting me slide around in tiny subsecond increments (ie. no video editors)? i'm looking into soundtrack, but just wanted to ask if anyone has a beaming recommendation for something else...

thankerz.

Soundtrack or Garage Band is probably going to be the best on the cheap and easy side of things. The higher end, you would be looking at Logic or Nuendo (Pro Tools is insanely expensive and requires connected hardware). I have used Soundtrack a lot in the past...and not being a musician of any sorts...it's pretty amazing and easy to use. I would probably give that a try first.

Guest Sao_Bento

just when i thought my project couldn't get any less profitable, it turns out that i will have to play music mixer/engineer. i need to just basically mix between different tracks within a multitrack song and i know squat crappity about music or audio.... so any suggestions for something cheap/free that can do such basic functions while also letting me slide around in tiny subsecond increments (ie. no video editors)? i'm looking into soundtrack, but just wanted to ask if anyone has a beaming recommendation for something else...

thankerz.

The beta of Adobe Soundbooth isn't too bad for free. UB too.

thankerz.

Digidesign used to give away an 8 track version of Pro Tools for free. But I haven't kept up with that in a while.

Vegas is pretty good most of the time.

Keep in mind if you got the Adobe Production Bundle, it comes with Adobe Audition(Formerly Cool Edit), which is a pretty good sound editing app.

I used Steinberg's CuBase SE for years for audio projects. Had the opportunity to do a sound track in it for a video. CuBase will let you have folder tracks that you can nest audition tracks into. I think that's a pretty cook feature if you have lots of tracks to keep organized. Also it is VST plugin compatible whcih ads a lot of flexbility IMHO.

Keep in mind if you got the Adobe Production Bundle, it comes with Adobe Audition(Formerly Cool Edit), which is a pretty good sound editing app.

(Deduces jaan is on Mac as he is "looking into soundtrack", therefore is unlikely to have the Adobe Production Bundle unless he has a prerelease version of the upcoming Mac version)