Sign in to follow this  
drnz

"Make it look cool..."

Ha! I encountered this same thing a few months back. I can confirm that nowhere is indeed on the left.

Also, text and logos can never be big enough.

There is actually a very good reason why those peeps define 'left' as "nowhere", especially in the west. People read from left to right, and lots of other stuff is based on the direction of the eyes from left to right. Coming in from the left is also common for "arriving shots".

Entering the frame from the lefthand side is more natural.

Guest Sao_Bento
There is actually a very good reason why those peeps define 'left' as "nowhere", especially in the west. People read from left to right, and lots of other stuff is based on the direction of the eyes from left to right. Coming in from the left is also common for "arriving shots".

Entering the frame from the lefthand side is more natural.

And when you show a plane flying from West to East, it should be facing the right side of the screen, East to West faces left, etc.

"make it like MTV", this is about as vague as "make it cool"

"make it look like SE7EN"

And you know if you even came close to the opening titles of seven, clients would freak out. I want to ask them when is the last time they saw the seven opening titles?

or say to them..."Nice buzz word, you must have to learn a lot them before you can get your position, you forgot "Mtv", "stylized" and "cool". But then security would have to remove me, as I kept making "air quotes" and yelling out all the buzz words i could think of... "ARTSY!"....."SEXY!"....."CUTTING-EDGE!"...."EDGY!".....

"make it cool, edgy, sexy"....I love it when they throw that at me. Basicly they just handed you near complete creative control of the project due to their lack of imagination. works for me!!

Edited by aspekt

"It needs to be graphisized"

"Organic"

"I don't want to over brief you"

"Have you got any new plug-ins?"

"Synergize"

"Move it down half a gnats, now back, split the difference... there!"

"Have you seen a website called Psyop?"

during the Quantel era:

"I don't like it on red" ..."that's just the stencil"

"The white on black is a bit harsh" ..."that's called a matte"

I've been getting the "can you make it look less crazy" comment lately....meaning, strip down all excess elements until all you have is white + logo + nothing.

I've also been known in extreme cases of frustration to hand over my tablet pen and tell them to "go for it."

Did loads of logo designs for this guy one time, eventually i did one he liked, it was ok, not my first choice out of the lot, but not bad...then he turns to me......'actually, can u make it 3d?, 3d logos are in right now you know'

Edited by PMC

my name isn't betty...that's the irony

This thread is great. Let's revive it.

It was just a few days after Halloween in 1998 and I was signing up for my very first AOL instant messenger account. I needed a name, and I was so dubbed Firebetty by my boss at my first ever production internship.

Backstory:

I was a coctail waitress in a bar in Chicago. My costume that year was "fire," corsets and body paint were involved. It's a long story.

I have been told that I look a little like Betty Page.

Thus the name... Firebetty

It has nothing to do with anything really, which is why I like it.

Edit: What's funny, is that I have a friend named Beth, who is a firefighter. So it would be totally perfect for her, for a completely different reason.