Sign in to follow this  
iceman

After Effects CS3

Here's a buried tidbit about expressions : "New in After Effects Professional CS3, you can sample actual pixel values to drive effects." That's pretty neat.

It is. ;o)

Mylenium

oh man, i have a feeling we're gonna see this all over the place next year... "look! i can make this photo of the side of my grandma's house seem like it grows into the sky for forever, and it only 82% looks like it's tiled! i dunno what that has to do with car insurance, but i'm definitely putting it in this regional car insurance spot i'm working on!"

yup, I also have that feeling.

Ye gods! They certainly aren't putting the weight of their monopoly behind coming up with better demo materials.

At least the number of noob posts here will go down now that they've finally added a plug-in that does the thinking for you.

LOL

oh man, i have a feeling we're gonna see this all over the place next year... "look! i can make this photo of the side of my grandma's house seem like it grows into the sky for forever, and it only 82% looks like it's tiled! i dunno what that has to do with car insurance, but i'm definitely putting it in this regional car insurance spot i'm working on!"

http://www.adobe.com/products/aftereffects/features/

Actually, if you watch the demo under photoshop and flash (which actually addresses after effects too?), you'd see that the vanishing point tool could be my camera mapping dream come true. You just use perspective points in photoshop on a still image and it builds the image in 3D as if you had camera mapped it! So much easier!

True, there are things that I am skeptical about, but there are some things that may actually be helpful, and not just gimmicks.

Edited by spritelyjim

Guest Sao_Bento
http://www.adobe.com/products/aftereffects/features/

Actually, if you watch the demo under photoshop and flash (which actually addresses after effects too?), you'd see that the vanishing point tool could be my camera mapping dream come true. You just use perspective points in photoshop on a still image and it builds the image in 3D as if you had camera mapped it! So much easier!

True, there are things that I am skeptical about, but there are some things that may actually be helpful, and not just gimmicks.

Yes, there are definitely somethings that will prove handy - like the fact that it can actually run on macs.

Is there ever going to be layer folders in Ae? I know that comps act in a similiar fashion to folders, It would be nice to click the icon and see all the the comps and pre comps in a single folder.

Guest Sao_Bento

Seems like it might be awhile. The press release says PS, ILL, etc. will ship in April, but the "Production Suite" will be released in the third quarter.

Is it me, or does it seem like a lot of people will get the short end of the stick as a result of the "bundling". If you have an Intel mac, you need apps now, but, since everything isn't out, you end up buying them piecemeal and paying a lot more.

Seems like it might be awhile. The press release says PS, ILL, etc. will ship in April, but the "Production Suite" will be released in the third quarter.

Is it me, or does it seem like a lot of people will get the short end of the stick as a result of the "bundling". If you have an Intel mac, you need apps now, but, since everything isn't out, you end up buying them piecemeal and paying a lot more.

They claim July '07 for the A/V apps and April 20th for the general suite apps (PS, Illus, ID, et all).

-gl

Nope, I don't think so. You cannot be afraid of something that you don't have the slightest clue about and it doesn't do you any good to...

when a big company like adobe goes out of its way to fund the revival of an irrelevant trampled program like premiere and develop a half-ass program in a field that's already flooded with established, solid options (soundbooth), there's gotta be a significant reason for it... and that reason is likely to be "hEy LoOk gUisE!!! u totEs dOnnEed fInaL cut oR sOunDtraCk or sHakE/MotiOn/mEgA-ApP, you cAn JeS bUY oUr bUNdLe aNd sAVE moNeyzZZ bcUz yOu ALreADy nEEdZ hoUr FotoShopzzZzz!!! kEwLL!"

edit:

i forgot to mention that i feel like a huge nerd for caring enough to type all that out, thus indemnifying me from said nerdness stigma.

Edited by jaan

Puppets creep me out. Who does puppetry in AE often enough to warrant an effect? Not that I'm complaining about new features...just perplexed. Let's just hope the program can hide by option+clicking the desktop again...

I mean, if they put that much work into it..you'd THINK they fixed the bugs from a previous version.

Ou est le guignol?

Edited by Firebetty

Puppets creep me out. Who does puppetry in AE often enough to warrant an effect? Not that I'm complaining about new features...just perplexed.

I think people like me have been asking for inverse kinematics long enough that this is their solution. I won't know if it's a good enough solution until I use it, though.

i ve been watching all the features tour of all products, there are nice additions here and there, lets just hope that also they resolve the old bugs that are present 9 versions ago.

huge dissapoinment to see the flash timeline exactly like flash 4, i was hoping a complete redesign of flash animation methods, kinda after effects timeline or something

Is there ever going to be layer folders in Ae? I know that comps act in a similiar fashion to folders, It would be nice to click the icon and see all the the comps and pre comps in a single folder.

I would love that! I would really like to be able to drill down into nested comps and still see onion skin of the comp it's nested in. Flash has done that for years with movie clips, but I guess it's probably a bit late in the game to start suggesting features.

it seems that after effects cs3 will be a complete irrelevant upgrade for pc users, it feels more like a 7.5

Whoa. Then you'll cripple yourself - seriously. Except for Shape layers, which are simply much-o coolness, there are a few other things that make AE better than ever. That "Enhanced performance" part for instance - it's really enhanced and you'd hate yourself for not upgrading.

Mylenium

Hey, Mylenium.

Do you ever sleep?

And did I tell you I love your optimistic side? :)

As he said, shape layers are not a feature: it's more like a collection of features. A whole arsenal of illustrator tools adapted to the needs of dynamic media. The Puppet tool is also way cool. It's the kind of thing that words couldn't do justice to. You have to see it. 3D text animators have been a top request since... text animators first appeared. I can also tell you there are many pages worth of little and not-so-little improvements. I am not sure if they're out in the open yet :)

CS3 is a deep, deep upgrade. Don't judge it by the marketing bits.

Hey, Mylenium.

Do you ever sleep?

I do. but I get up between 5 and 6 in the morning. ;O)

CS3 is a deep, deep upgrade. Don't judge it by the marketing bits.

Yepp, well said. CS3 is much better than the relatively "weak" update from 6.5 to 7 (that is, if you don't consider implementing 32 bpc a major thing). Especially as a motiongraphics kinda guy you will not wanna live without shape layers and a few other things once you got a taste of them.

Mylenium

I have just completed a tedious character animation project where I had to do all the character work in Flash, export as non-scalable PNG sequences and then import them into AE. AE 7 can't even handle SWFs better than AE 6.5. Now we will get not only SWFs with alpha, but shape layers and IK puppets as well. That is what I call an upgrade.

"Now we will get not only SWFs with alpha, but shape layers and IK puppets as well. "

It's not really IK, but rather a completely new development in terms of non-distorting image warping. Really deep scientific patents behind the scenes! It can be used for things that are like IK, but there are no bones structures or anything like that. It creates a vector mesh for the bitmap, but you don't even have to be aware of it.

Also, let me tell you something that is not getting the right exposure in the marketing docs: really improved, adaptive motion blur. AE so far was using 16 samples for MB, which as we all know, lead to very visible "steps". Now it will be able to calculate dynamically how many steps of MB it needs to produce super smooth looking MB. It can use hundreds of steps if needed, or less than the current 16 if that will be enough. And all these in the context of the same animation. Talk about a deep upgrade...