Sign in to follow this  
eric

Morphing freeform cigarette smoke to form an image

Aloha,

What are some ideas that achieve the effect of turning random smoke into an image- Preferrably using AE and/or C4D

Is RE:flex/twixtor a correct option or is there an easier/cheaper way to do the same thing?

i wouldn´t know exactly how to achieve that, but if i have to try i would try with particular, and layers as emitters, might be tricky, dont´t think there is a one click way to do that

Edited by javier g

i've had to do it once, and the easiest way was to film the cigarette, shoot a background plate, mask out the smoke a couple of inches above the cigarette, and replace with 3d particles (i used particle flow in max)

the magic ingredient for a lot of challenging thingees in AE that can't quite be achieved by preexisting techniques or plugins is: mesh warp + training/skill in traditional animation + elbow grease.

though that may sound jerkmouthy, it's sincerely meant to help. best of luck.

I know you said either c4d or ae but Maya comes to mind when i read this.

You can emit fluid particles from the luma info of an image...

so you will be starting with a particle image that roughly looks like your original...

then using forces make it swirl and dissipate...then in ae reverse it so the image forms from the smoke...

then i would add a little after effects love to ease and add intrest to the transition from the fluid image to the actual image...

secondary particles over it in after effects will help also.

Hope this makes sense... I have been working 16 hours straight today. hehehe YIKES.

I did this a while back as a test of the fluids... only spent about 10 mins on it or so...just a playblast.

Fluid Test

This one had the gravity all the way up...but for yours you could keep it low and really crank the turbulence and swirl attribs to get silky smoke curls

-Nate

Edited by nhowe