Sign in to follow this  
The Crabster

Hard drive down...

So I recently had a main main disc fail on me... Nothing too major on there that is work related, but it did hold all of my personal data like pics and music... So anyway, I tried to use Disc Utility and it sees the disc but can't reinstall the OS... Disc Warrior doesn't even see the disc... So I reinstalled the OS on the secondary drive... Now when I boot up, it tells me that a drive has been inserted that cannot be recognized, "Do I want to format or ignore?"

Anyway, I would like to recover my music and pics if possible. Does anyone know somewhere in Vegas or LA that I can take my drive to try to recover my info? Or any other steps that I can take at home to try to do it myself?

Thanks in advance...

Professional data recovery usually costs a small fortune.

One last resort, and this probably doesn't work much, is to freeze(put it in the freezer) the drive for an hour or so, then take it out and using some methods to reduce condensation, connect the drive and try to get data off of it then. I heard that it worked in some cases...although it is dangerous both to your drive and your computer, so perhaps use an external HD enclosure.

If its clicking thats usually the end, although I have been able to get drives to stop clicking enough to get data off by power cycling.

Freezing your drive? Sorry, i never heard from any advantage of this method. Sounds to me like trying to cure a cold with an axe ;)

Commercial recovery is your best bet, prices are high though, but most services offer a low cost analysis to tell you what is recoverable. The actual recovery is pricy though.

Cheers

Björn

I see the freezing method on many sites. The logic is that in the world of nanometers, it may condense the materials enough to unstick the head (or other). I've tried it on 2 drives in the past as a last ditch effort but it didn't have any results. I wouldn't personally do it until the next step is dumping it in the trash.

You could send it to Drivesavers. They will at least look at it and give you a prognosis and estimate.

We have used the freezer method on a laptop drive. In other cases, we've had a local shop do some miracle data recovery on drives that were unrecognized by any sort of hardware we tried to use on them. If you have a local computer shop you trust, give them a try. If some guys in a little shack in North Dakota can pull it off, there's no reason someone there in the world can't.

Best of luck on the recovery effort!

Cf

I have heard that data recovery is expensive... But I am sure that it would be cheaper than me buying all the music that I am going to lose... I spent years downloading individuals songs, making sure to get every song from the albums and then putting them in the correct order with album art... If only I would have backed it up... Damn...

I will look into data recovery...

bummer dude!

i've heard the freezer method works too. never tried it myself.

you could try it on a computer with another OS, putting it in a different enclosure (try both USB and FW), and connecting it internally... i doubt that will work but worth a shot.

two things that have worked for me:

- data rescue

http://www.prosoftengineering.com/products/data_rescue.php

- hooking the (external) hard drive to my old os9 machine and then using disk warrior or just backing it up from there before reinitializing/discarding the drive. it'll usually recognize drives that my osx machine won't no matter what shit i try. sounds ridic, but it's worked numerous times for me.

Edited by jaan

i remember erasing accidentally my "work" folder at work, losing all the data, i almost kill myself, the tech support guy run a various software but he did not could recover anything valuable, your case its different, its a hd failure, maybe you still have chance, in your situation i would try anything, even the freezer method

Edited by javier g

If I'm understanding correctly, you are using OSX. If you've got someone with an apple laptop or another apple desktop nearby that does work, then you can try this...

1) Connect both computers via Firewire.

2) Power on your friend's apple machine.

3) Start up the messed up computer holding "t"

This will boot your messed up computer into "Target Disk Mode" and connect your computer's hard drive automatically to the working computer- just as it would an external firewire hard drive. If this works, you should take the opportunity to back up all your stuff onto his hard drive :)

There's a small chance this could work, but it sounds like your disk is totally done. Still worth a try.

I used to have a PowerBook G4 that had a disk go bad. When the hard drive started dying, it wouldn't start up. Target Disk Mode + my boss's PowerMac was my saving grace for the contents of my PowerBook's hard drive. Whew. After 3 years of abusing it, the hard drive was in such bad shape that I actually had to hold the PowerBook at a 30 degree angle in order for it to read at all across the target disk mode! If it were laying flat on the table, it wouldn't even read- it would just sit there and cry.

Edited by JonAndesign

Man sorry to hear your main disk went bad.

I had some bad experiences when I upgraded to OS-X way back, so I reinstalled the OS on my scratch disk partition. It turned my main drive into just another drive (instead of boot drive). One alternative if no one has mentioned it before-

go out and get another hard drive that will suit your rig. Install OSX on your new drive, access the old drive and move your data over.

Don't know if that will help but would like to think some of the junk I had to noodle out could help someone.

Good luck

Triad