Sign in to follow this  
shioami

IDEA magazine

I'm looking into getting a subscription to IDEA magazine, which is it seems going to cost an arm and leg + maybe a head too. Yet I've heard a few praises about this magazine. Anyone have any opinions on it? Anyone currently receive it? I did a search on the forum for it but only one turned up which was about one issue (Saul Baas).

I'm looking into getting a subscription to IDEA magazine, which is it seems going to cost an arm and leg + maybe a head too. Yet I've heard a few praises about this magazine. Anyone have any opinions on it? Anyone currently receive it? I did a search on the forum for it but only one turned up which was about one issue (Saul Baas).

It's one of my favorites, but I don't stay up to date on it. The issues that I have from the early 00's are awesome though.

Just about everything in them still looks good to me today, and I especially like how they often focus on older periods of design and contrast it with the modern stuff.

I would just find a good bookstore and periodically visit it to browse the new ones and buy them if they look good, unless you have a lot of dough and are into collecting things - i guess it's one of those collectable type magazines.

Yes, thats one of many aspects I really dig about the magazine. Which brings me to my next question, you mentioned to find a good bookstore. Does anyone know of any good bookstore's in the Southern California area, that carries IDEA magazine?

"The issues that I have from the early 00's are awesome though"

ill back that. i remember being a budget student and foregoing food for a subscription. i didnt eat for a long time! my old crt is still covered with aqua build stickers too :)

i love it how you could look at some of their issues and see what every other rag was going to be covering in 6-18 months time, and with very intelligent editorial (better if you understand japanese).

Dunno how relevant to mograph it is per se, but if you like intelligent discussion on creative pursuits then it might be worth the price.