Sign in to follow this  
brandj

AIGA / BDA / GAG Membership

Are any of you members of AIGA, BDA, GAG? (or any other professional groups?)

Do you feel these groups are any use to you as a motion graphics artists?

Would you join a group that was dedicated to motion graphics / screen design (can we even define this? or how narrowly should it be to be relevent?)

and what would it have to offer you for to become a member or get involved?

Any thoughts on this welcome.

Thanks.

I was a member of BDA a couple of years ago .. and I might be going to this years conference. I wish it was more like it sounded like it used to be .. more geared towards designers. It seems a lot more management oriented now.

I really wish there was an organization that catered exclusively to motion designers. The AE West conference a few years ago sounded really good .. but there just isn't that much like that anymore.

I would totally join an organization that was specific to motion design. Maybe the BDA will get back to that one of these years :blink:

As for what it would take to get involved .. it would be cool to see sessions/conferences that were more hands-on .. or behind the scenes oriented .. taking you through the whole process .. tips and tricks.

The old "here's our work, let's talk about it" doesn't really work anymore since it's rare that you haven't already seen it on the web.

Edited by jasfish

Guest Sao_Bento

There have been several threads on this. The bottom line is that if your employer is going to pay for it, then go for it. If it's coming out of your own pocket, you can pretty much skip it unless your in dire need of networking within the industry. There are very few benefits to belonging to any of these professional organizations these days.

Guest Sao_Bento
But would you join one solely dedicated to motion graphics?

Or what would it have to do (its mission and responsibilities and benefits) for you to make you join?

There's just no point anymore. Back in the day you went to BDA to see all the sick work people had been doing. You'd come back all amped up and itching to go. Now you see all the same stuff on the web. Even if you didn't, few companies are willing to pay for travel and extravagant registration fees these days. I used to be a BDA member because they had this "members only" job listing service - which is something else you can access via the web for free now. - So what's the value proposition? The sessions were OK, but you would rarely learn anything. It's good for meeting other people in the business, but so is Mograph. There just isn't a need for those type of organizations anymore. Mike Goedecke, from Belief was asking around here last year, about what they could do to make people interested in BDA, etc. But I don't think he got much useful info.

Yeah, Sao I agree for the most part, if the only thing the organization is doing is putting together a conference, that still costs you $900 it's not worth an extra $500 to be part a "member." The consensus of people I've talked to say that it's not really worth it.

I do think there's still some value in conferences. Probably, mostly networking and meeting people. Maybe not to see NEW and "exciting" work since we get that daily via motionographer, feed, and here. And by the time it gets to a conference or award show it's gonna be past its prime. I don't think learning or picking up new techniques via a conference or someone's talk ...

I did go to AIGA's MOVE3 last year and was inspired by the non-mograph presenters (Laurie Anderson and Cory Arcangel) as well as some of the mograph / video work like the Adult Swim (I'd never seen that stuff before ...) and Casey Reas's presentation on Processing.

I also went to Inspire 07 and thought that it was great. Shilo screened new and unseen work. Psyop went in depth on the process behind the Crow spot. Jakob Tröllback showed years and years of well-thought out and beautifully designed work.

And I'm bummed that MOVE is not happening this year, so it got me thinking about the fact that there is not a goup or organization that is soley dedicated to motion graphics (not just TV network promotion) that actually does anything for the community. I do think more could be done by an organization dedicated to this part of the industry.