Sign in to follow this  
drnz

Final Cut sites/tips?

Howdy y'all-

Recently picked up a gig (yay!) as a production editor (meh.) Having been a PC/premiere guy for a minute,

I'm delighted and a bit baffled to be on a Mac. Wondering if anyone has some good spots/URLs for FCP knowledge outside the Cow. Did some searching but came up with a lot of jenk. Any help would be appreciated-

Thanks in advance!

DRNZ

Thanks y'all!!!!!!!!!!!!

Working at Brickhouse Mobile- hells fun so far.

Appreciate the links-good spots for some research.

Tried using the color corrector-think I'll hang out with levels and contrast for a while instead ;)

Tried using the color corrector-think I'll hang out with levels and contrast for a while instead ;)

I'd get "Colorista" by Red Giant Software for FCP and use that instead. The 3-way FCP CC has a way of making images look shittier very easily. It's garbage color math.

I'd get "Colorista" by Red Giant Software for FCP and use that instead. The 3-way FCP CC has a way of making images look shittier very easily. It's garbage color math.

Looks pretty pimp-I'll see if I can't talk the bosses into it.

Looks pretty pimp-I'll see if I can't talk the bosses into it.

Well, I say that then just saw that Apple dropped the Final Cut Studio 2 with the new app "Color". I could be wrong but if Color is using Shake's color math internally than it should be fantastic.

Guest Sao_Bento
Well, I say that then just saw that Apple dropped the Final Cut Studio 2 with the new app "Color". I could be wrong but if Color is using Shake's color math internally than it should be fantastic.

I thought it was using the Final Touch technology (previously 25k). 32 bit float, in any case. It should be good unless they really flubbed.

I thought it was using the Final Touch technology (previously 25k).

Damn, I didn't know that. Well kudos to Apple then. Now if they can integrate the whole thing into one super app without all the conversion nonsense.

Guest Sao_Bento
Damn, I didn't know that. Well kudos to Apple then. Now if they can integrate the whole thing into one super app without all the conversion nonsense.

The trick with software development is that it's very easy to paint yourself into a corner (see Vista). Apple's reluctance to combine all the apps into a single executable is their way of keeping things simple. As individual apps, it's much easier and faster to update them than it would be if they were one huge super-app.

The trick with software development is that it's very easy to paint yourself into a corner (see Vista). Apple's reluctance to combine all the apps into a single executable is their way of keeping things simple. As individual apps, it's much easier and faster to update them than it would be if they were one huge super-app.

I dig, but that's why I left the FCP workflow last year and got an Avid DS. There is no replacement to having everything integrated into one system with no BS. In the DS, I can edit in the timeline, turn any clip into a container and go inside that container where I have the equivelent of a Shake tree plus a very deep color corrector. And having it all in one system that has one project and a single archive solution is worth the cost difference. I keep thinking Apple would make the Apple version of DS for 120k cheaper. The funny thing is that the entire DS software (which is massive in scope) feels way lighter and faster than any one Apple app.