Sign in to follow this  
Jonny

Apple announces Motion 3

http://www.apple.com/finalcutstudio/motion/

Its back...just announced today at the NAB. Pretty cool new features. Here is a list of some of the main ones:

EMBRACING 3D:

-multiple cameras and light sources

-intuitive navigation

-adding paint

vector based paint- particles, pics, etc.

-pressure pen, speed sensitive

-edit strokes in 3D space

-apply behaviors to strokes

MATCH MOVING:

-simple now

-automatically follows the path of any animated object

-suggests points and intelligently creates motion paths for video

-associate a path to an object, it handles it

-track, match, move on

RETIMING:

-retiming w/out keyframing

-hold frame, set speed and other creative timing effects

-slip and slide retiming effects

-isn't tied to the piece you started with, can apply behavior elsewhere

AUDIO BEHAVIORS:

-animations respond to the soundtrack

-control animations based on volume and frequency (After Effects already did some of this years ago, but was work)

-assign to any parameter on any object

Edited by Jonny

Seems like it can finally compete with AE to a degree with the 3D goodies. The curves editor looked nice, but the layers view looks like it still has those inch-thick ridiculous layers. (Can the thickness be adjusted?) Yay competition.

So did shake just get split up and features added to all the new FCP suite, or is there still some unannounced product?

Bit of both according to the internets. Probably their will be a new product eventually. I am very happy about the direct competition to AE. It will push adobe to improve stuff. I actually really liked some of the features in the motion 3 demo.

Guest Sao_Bento

Too bad they can't get the terminology right - calling motion tracking "Match Moving" is a super-amatuer blunder that damages their credibility. Maybe they're using the same exec recruiters as Adobe now.

Shake will be getting a remake and will come out in a next gen platform. When I bought Shake 4.5 for $500 the guy from Apple told me this is what they were doing. Look for that at Siggraph.

Motion 3 looks pretty sweet and since it uses core image, and when in October core animation it will run really fast. Motion 2 is damn near real time as it is.

Guest Sao_Bento
Shake will be getting a remake and will come out in a next gen platform. When I bought Shake 4.5 for $500 the guy from Apple told me this is what they were doing. Look for that at Siggraph.

Motion 3 looks pretty sweet and since it uses core image, and when in October core animation it will run really fast. Motion 2 is damn near real time as it is.

It's interesting that Motion can use Photoshop brushes, even if AE can't.

its a pretty big update by the looks of the videos on apple.com, would kind of suck for Adobe since they had to invent all these things and then someone else can copy and catch up in half the amount of versions.

its a pretty big update by the looks of the videos on apple.com, would kind of suck for Adobe since they had to invent all these things and then someone else can copy and catch up in half the amount of versions.

I dunno, I always thought that motion had the opposite problem. It seemed like Apple was trying to do things different for the sake of different-ness. A 15 minute focus group would tell you that we want 3d layers no matter the app.

Too bad they can't get the terminology right - calling motion tracking "Match Moving" is a super-amatuer blunder that damages their credibility. Maybe they're using the same exec recruiters as Adobe now.

LOL on this one. "Match Moving" sounds more expensive.

It seemed like Apple was trying to do things different for the sake of different-ness.

Yepp. If they could get that strange notion out of their heads, one day they might actually be doing really innovative software without forcing the users to grow a few eyes, ears and arms extra. Nonetheless, sounds okay-ish what they've done for v3.

Mylenium

Guest Sao_Bento
Yepp. If they could get that strange notion out of their heads, one day they might actually be doing really innovative software without forcing the users to grow a few eyes, ears and arms extra. Nonetheless, sounds okay-ish what they've done for v3.

Mylenium

I think the videos are very telling. Motion isn't meant to be competition for AE, it's LiveType +. The first thing you see is some guy putting light rays on something - that says "video editor" all over it.

Let's hope the "Phenomenon" thing really turns up the heat on Adobe, or actually offers a reasonable AE alternative.

I actually like Motion 3 very much.

I am glad they're coming with a lot of cool features.

Of course, I think AE is still more versatile, deep and mature as a main motion graphics app for pro designers (as opposed to people with motion graphics needs), but as an AE lover (or creativity lover or whatever) I'm glad that Motion is getting better and better.

Govinda: I don't think Steve is worried. Just like he wasn't in 2004 when Motion came out.

Again, Motion is great, but as far as outclassing AE, many heavyweights have tried... :)

Guest Sao_Bento
many heavyweights have tried... :)

Hmm, I remember Denim and maybe Combustion (aka Denim). Who all has tried again?

Are you counting Jaleo or something? Video Toaster?

Certainly Combustion.

Motion can be very succesful in its own terms, and a very interesting option in creative terms (I certainly use it a lot) but it's quite evident that it is not dethroning AE or anything near that.

Boris Red (or Blue or whatever color they have now!).

And a few others that I prefer not to mention to avoid controversy :)

Sao:

Bottom Line is (and I'm sure you'll agree): I would love so much to live in a world where it wasn't this versus that all the time.

Jeez, if you have a passion for this, then you just want both AE and Motion. The new versions of both are excellent, according to their own set of rules each. They even get along pretty well, you know?

Just speculating here, but it seems that Apple is busy taking features from Shake for Motion (retiming, tracking, 3D space etc). Is it possible that we will end up with two versions of the same application, one with a layer based interface (Motion) and one with a node based interface (next-generation Shake)?

Is it me or is Motion's approach to layers confusing? Maybe I am too indoctrinated by AE's interface.

did adobe copyright the term "motion Tracking" maybe?

Guest Sao_Bento
Sao:

Bottom Line is (and I'm sure you'll agree): I would love so much to live in a world where it wasn't this versus that all the time.

Jeez, if you have a passion for this, then you just want both AE and Motion. The new versions of both are excellent, according to their own set of rules each. They even get along pretty well, you know?

The underlying theory here is that competition pushes people to work a little harder. Look at any large software company (particularly those who are in near monopoly positions) and it's easy to see that they're not trying too hard anymore. Take that monopoly away via competition and suddenly, they have to get back to work to stay in the game. That's just how business works - it's not about which company is the winner. The winner is the customer who has options and isn't forced down a specific path because there is no other way.

The underlying theory here is that competition pushes people to work a little harder. Look at any large software company (particularly those who are in near monopoly positions) and it's easy to see that they're not trying too hard anymore. Take that monopoly away via competition and suddenly, they have to get back to work to stay in the game. That's just how business works - it's not about which company is the winner. The winner is the customer who has options and isn't forced down a specific path because there is no other way.

That's all good and well, but it also depends on the long-term strategy of a given company. At the moment I'm simply more under the impression that Adobe is more concerned about the network-based technology war with Microslopp rather than being focused on the classical media. I guess it's good for Flash users as it pushes the app, but makes me cringe everytime since it sacrifices valuable resources that could just as well be spent on polishing up AE and other apps in other areas.

Mylenium

That's all good and well, but it also depends on the long-term strategy of a given company. At the moment I'm simply more under the impression that Adobe is more concerned about the network-based technology war with Microslopp rather than being focused on the classical media. I guess it's good for Flash users as it pushes the app, but makes me cringe everytime since it sacrifices valuable resources that could just as well be spent on polishing up AE and other apps in other areas.

Mylenium

Good point...AE sometimes feels like the red headed stepchild. I was thinking this morning that if they put 3d objects in PS, why not AE as well?

All the while, Flash has new platforms to launch from (adobe media player and apollo).

Also seems like Apple might be following the same path with the iPhone versus the "Mac core" (whatever that might be these days).

Guest Sao_Bento
Is this where we talk about the whole FCPStudio 2.0?

Is anyone else on fire about the new Color app (Including Shake-like node-ability) ?

Or the vast improvements to Compressor?

Has anyone else watched the movies?

-m

Yes, and the HDforIndies guy confirmed that Color is indeed Final Touch.