Sign in to follow this  
chicago

The glowy, colorful, photorealistic surreal look

Does anyone have advice on how to achieve the look of this kind of syle.

Pumped up color, light bleeds, graphic shapes over people.

There is a certain style popular now and this link is an o.k example of it.

http://spearcollective.com/jeremy-prasatik/

Think stardust.tv work too.

Just wondering how I should go about creating this type of physical surreal look.

Thanks

I recently tried this style on an album cover for a friend, with okay results:

Raw Material

killaz_raw.jpg

End Result

392643964_003d87fddd.jpg

I think its a combination of things. Light bleeds are a huge part and when shooting your subjects you can help sell this effect by back lighting them, and then throwing on various digital glows and lens flares. Adding light wraps and bowing out certain areas digitally also helps. Oversaturating your subjects makes things pop. Removing depth of field (but still having depth) gives it a realistic impression with a surrealistic feel. I dunno, im figuring stuff out as i go.

I'm not seeing anything other than "normal" graphic art with "decent" use of Trapcode Shine, and Starglow. Dare I say it, in the Tree/Rainbow shot he actually used Shine in a real context doing what Shine is ACTUALLY trying to simulate which is light rays.

Think about video games. PS2 versus PS3. PS2 had maps of color wrapped on objects. Looked nice but not overly realistic. PS3 has volumetric light beams and light blooms (which are easy as hell to simulate in 2D) and the realistic factor goes way up.

To me he's using "glowy" effects like AE's "Glow", lens flares, Shine, and Starglow to simulate reality and not just slop them on arbitrary shit like they are usually used for.

IMO.

I don't think it'll be too long before we see things like this glowyblowy look as the cinematographic style for a full film, considering how '300' has kinda set down a marker for graphics-as-video. But I think the posters and Stardust's and BNS's and Logan's version of what you're talking about are really different things. Some of those people being regular posters, maybe they'll relieve us from speculation. Except that we'd have accept it as the last thing we learn on this earth before they kill every single one of us.

i can't believe i'm saying this, but there was actually a good tutorial on this style by that Electric Heat guy in Computer Arts a while ago.

i think this style will age relatively quickly, though, so i don't know that it's worth investing a lot of time in right now seeing as how it's already kind of played out. but maybe i'm wrong.

Guest Sao_Bento
i can't believe i'm saying this, but there was actually a good tutorial on this style by that Electric Heat guy in Computer Arts a while ago.

i think this style will age relatively quickly, though, so i don't know that it's worth investing a lot of time in right now seeing as how it's already kind of played out. but maybe i'm wrong.

Yes, Electricheat.org is filled with this kind of stuff. It also reminds me of the Roni Size stuff the Attik did back in the late 90's.

ps brushes in overlay with saturated colors, surface blurred subjects, that will do the trick, electric heat work is cool, but it looks a lot like a personal style, not sure if i wanted to reproduce that

I knew it was only a matter of time b4 those dolphins showed up.

I can't wait till he comes back to change the mograph game for all of us.

Which reminds me of a tatoo shop i visited a few years ago.

They had a big wall display with common used images, and to my joy there was a smiling Dolfin with sunglasses riding a wave on his tail while giving thumbs up.

That image has been burned into my retina.

To answer Tim's question:

I think some of the clients would absolutely adore his works.

I wanna get back to the topic real quick and find out what the hell is going on in that album cover. Someone please let me know...

We have people working on the case as I type.....more information will be given as it comes to hand.

Keep calm and carry on.

Oh dude, I've been waiting to show off my new shirt. My grandmother got this for my birthday. (not even making this up). For once I feel ahead of the trends.

SLIGHTLY AMAZING!

An extremely talented young girl already has the prototype sketches of the Wolphin. Both artistic, glowy, animals in one conveniant beast:

wolphin.jpg

Guest Sao_Bento
An extremely talented young girl already has the prototype sketches of the Wolphin. Both artistic, glowy, animals in one conveniant beast:

wolphin.jpg

That could be the missing link from the time when wolves evolved into whales.