Sign in to follow this  
Guest say*uncle

Apple Motion Released

Guest pixel_pimp

The new issue of Res Magazine, the DVD that comes with it had Demo Tutorials of Motion features. Seems pretty COOL I have to try it to almost retrack my previous comments about it. The Real-Time stuff is so COOL. To have your seq. looping and to tweak setting and have it update and keep running is super COOL. Haven't checked out all the demo's that came on the DVD, but the intro one was enough for me to stop and look for the "Educational Version" that maybe floating around. Hell $300 may just buy it.

Guest parallax

Don't get your hopes up just yet. I went to a demo recently, and i was a bit dissappointed.

Motion might be nice as an addition to AE, but it can in no way replace it yet for full-blown motion graphics. Its to much template based. For simple titles, its pretty nice. And i like the interactivity.

So all and all, pretty good work for a 1st release, but no AE killer by a longshot (or i must have mist a good part..)

Yes those Apple folks are pretty good at skewing the truth. The guy actually acted like editing progressive PAL footage was a phenomenal, and quite the achievement compared to regular interlaced dv :)

1st he put 8 streams of 1080p on a FCP timeline on a fully specced out G5(wich IS amazing btw; using DVCPro-HD) then he put a single 720p in FCP on a powerbook: "Look, amazing, real-time HD editing on a laptop! That is totally impossible on any other comparable system!"

:)

Guest N8

I totally agree with parallax that it is not an AE killer. I went to see a demo too, and realized it still won't replace After Effect just yet. However I am hoping that future incarnations will be. I am very fortunate to work on a G5, and I am happy as hell to see that after investing in one that there will be software that will actually use the machines hardware to the max. It’s a lot like buying a nice sports car then never taking it to the autobahn.

Guest govinda

I have a two-part theory about Motion that's either really stupidly obvious or really earth-shatteringly smarty-pantsy and deserving of high praise for cogent cogentousness.

1) It's always going to be the iPhoto of the motion graphics world. So it'll stay at this price-point. A weird price-point I think. Honey, we have a spare $299, should we buy a digicam cellphone, a lot of shoes or a new motion graphics program?

2) It's going to feature-creep up into the world of AE. It'll price-creep also. So this introductory price is a way to wedge into a market, then jack up into a full-featured Pro version that costs about what AE costs and does about what AE does and has the side benefit of making Adobe so furious you'll be able hear even in the Nederlands the sounds of John Warnock pinching off terra cotta in the Adobe men's room. Like the BMW 3-series, it's the appetizer dish. If you want to continue to the entree, you have to pay entree / 5-series prices. Supported by faster G5s, Motion rules the world and laughs that throaty 'I rule the world' laugh generally represented in millions of emails every day as 'mwa-ha-ha-ha' or 'bwa-ha-ha-ha.'

Or...neither? Govinda has been sniffing at what he thinks are the cracks of Delphi but are in fact the cracks of his own ass.

Apple Stores are having in-store product demos August 25, just like the one Parallax saw probably, except in NTSC land.

Guest finegrit

When we had our demo, it was with someone from the product development team. They were going around to studio trying to find out what Motion would need to fit into a production environment. The development team clearly has eyes on making this a full-feature set program.

Now, what management decides to do with it in another story...

Guest parallax

Now that you mention it Govinda, FCP started out pretty much the same way. Look where it is now.

Before you know it, you'll be bouncing and dodging your menu bar instead of ctrl-alt-deleting twice a day ;)

Guest babo

another thing is, that aldo you have a brand new G5 you probably won't be able to run the next version of Motion on your machine. Apple's programs are beginning to run only on the latest machines. And that by my opinion sucks a lot. So as I was utterly happy when I saw motion was to be released, later I began to lose all interest in Macs and their programs. I think the really exciting thing will be when some open source program reaches half way to AE.

Guest juicysauce

What applications are you talking about exactly? Apparently Motion will run very well on a dual 2Ghz G5 with 2 or 3 gigs of RAM. That's not their fastest machine, and it certainly isn't the max amount of RAM you can cram into a G5.

Guest Nick

I saw a demo using a stock dual 2gig G5. 512ram and 64mb ATI. Started getting sluggish with 5 video clips. He added a filter to that and it dropped to about 2fps. Looks like when ram is full, no more Realtime! A Keynote slide he had read like this. "Ram is for Video, Videocard is for particles and effects, Processor is for physics calculations (throws, gravity, vortex, etc...)

A beta tester friend of mine said that his gig notebook g4 maxed out with ram was useable.

Guest babo

I ment Shake when it was released. You were not able to run it on a less than year old machine as I remember. I think two year old or year and half old machine was out of question for FCP 4. I know that couse we bought a mac few years ago and soon came Shake, but not for us. So that's why apple is not my favourite any more. Machines are expencive as hell, and in two years you can't run new apps.

Guest what?

i have a g4 466 and i can still run FCP 4 very nicely. shake 3 is another matter, u have to have a g4 over 866. but the version of shake before that runs cool.

Guest babo

hmm, don't know how you did it, but my friend can't run it on g4 733. It won't install. Requirements are dual 800.

Guest juicysauce

I didn't realize Shake was such a resource hog. :(

Man, I really, really wish Apple would find a way to lower its prices. I know they won't, but it's keeping their market share so small. Some would say it's an "elite" market, but I'd argue that you can have the elite AND the hoi polloi; there's no reason to be exclusive.

If my Mac hadn't been given to me for free, there's no way I would have bought one. They're just too damned expensive. I would have stuck with my homemade PC, never realizing all the great software I was missing out on.

Guest Sao_Bento

The main thing that's demonstrated with Motion is that Apple understands that improving workflow is the biggest advantage. Editing, Motion Graphics and 3D are becoming one in the same. The closer the integration between these areas is, the more polished your final product will be.

Being able to zap your FCP timeline into Motion for tweaking is a hugely important feature. SoftImage DS recognized all this long ago, as did Adobe when they enabled sequences from Premiere to be imported into AE.

That's the whole motivation behind all these "application suites" - you can't really look at Motion as a single application, you need to look at what it adds to your other applications. Eventually, you'll be able to pass unrendered projects from edit to graphics to 3D and back to edit again without having to be locked into anything. This level of flexibility allows for finessing the final image in ways that haven't been possible before.

Control freaks unite!

Guest govinda

Okay, so it's time to speculate on which 3D app Apple will be buying.

:shock:

I'm serious--it makes sense based on Sao's dead-on post. And particularly with Jobs' Pixar experience. And even more with 3D apps' pricing going down. The price drops could mean a lot of things, but to a conspiracy nut with an MBA it has tiny whiffs of 'market share grab' in hopes of making your 3D company look better as an acquisition target even at the cost of profit margin.

Of course, this kind of rumor is probably all over the web in forums I normally don't follow.

Guest firemind

An apple-exclusive 3d app would have no chance in hell at surviving. Alias has already found funding, that would have been my main bet 6 months ago when they announced departure from SGI.

Guest govinda
An apple-exclusive 3d app would have no chance in hell at surviving.

No kidding. I've worked at a major name 3DS Max shop and observed the vaunted Brazil pipeline--no way they'd swap out their 100 machines. I'm more thinking of '3D for the masses,' a type of app that'd match the original Apple populist market appeal. Can anyone think of a company that focuses on small studios with 6-box render farms, features a closed render engine, extreme ease-of-use, very mac-friendly, who uses a tagline much like that? Like...'3D for the Real World,' for example?

Oops, I left the gas on in the kitchen. It's making me light-headed and dreamy on public forum boards.

Guest govinda

Oops, thought about this in the shower just now and naaah.

People fear nothing so much as the Z. Not even public speaking or spiders are so frightening. Add a Z to an X, Y graph and people's eyes roll and tongues drop and mouths start making Urdu sounds.

The Z is antithetical to the kind of mass-market strategy that sold FCP and Garage Band. Even most editor-types shudder at the thought of a Z. So a 3D app, I'm saying, is a 'nice to have' feature for Apple that probably won't ever make the cut because people would balk at ever using it. Anyway, my mystery company would have to be in the US to make a buyout work, and it isn't--and we're all probably the better for it.