Sign in to follow this  
Guest say*uncle

Apple Motion Released

Guest firemind

Govinda, I'd say Cinema 4D probably comes closest to a '3d app for the masses'. It's certainly intuitive enough for people using 2d apps to pick up. That still leaves a ton of terminalogy and concepts to wrap one's head around (polies, nurbs, subd's, vertices, isoparms, etc, etc, ETC ;P ) but then 3D isn't for everyone. People coming from Flash (or -gasp- print) to AE will have similar problems.

Discreet gave it a try with their (now discontinued) Plasma web-3d package, but a cut down 3dmax with a photoshop-style toolbar does not a killer app make!

Guest SermonOfMockery

incidentally plasma was by far the best solution for 3D Flash stuff... i had to do a fairly complex 3D scene in flash once (complex for flash anyway) and swift 3D made me want to chop off my hands simply so i could never use it again. plasma is a little tricky to use (like 3DS) but i liked it a lot better than swfit 3D. i think it's a shame that they discontinued it.

Guest firemind

Both Plasma and Swift3d give you the illusion of being able to do 3d without having to learn a real 3D application. Swift 4 comes with a modeller now, but reading how Eric Jordan would spend days tweaking animated spheres in older versions to get what he wanted just seemed so counter productive. Just bit the bullet and learn a decent 3d app already, vector export is available for most these days.

Guest SermonOfMockery

ha ha eric jordan and his spheres... i bet that guy dry-humps his copy of bryce every night before bed

Guest jeanorama

Motion is perfect for TV shows and

fast paced news environments.

It should replace the over priced priority

hardware being used now.

Guest PXM

3 problems I have with Motion:

1. No 3D, even though AE 3D is kinda goofy, at least it's there.

2. No 16 bit, which makes it impossible to use in the film industry.

3. Drag and drop preset effects tend to make animators lazy.