Sign in to follow this  
nextexit

Soft stuff

Hey I was just wondering if you guys had any pointers about how to get this kinda soft diffused look using Cinema 4D....

head.jpg

I've tried a bunch of different lighting, material and render combinations but with no success.....I'm pretty new to C4D so go easy on me... :unsure:

Cheers

m

You can use the glow channel in your materials, but it is probably best not to do this in C4D. In photoshop (or After Effects) you can duplicate the layer and blur it and adjust transparency, and try different modes (screen, normal, hardlight, overlay - depends what you want). There is also the AE glow effect.

Thanks basilisk, yeah I knew I could fake it in After Effects but was thinking that there was some kind of global illumination colour/light 'bleed' thing going on.....that would give it a more superior feel to the quick and dirty AE method....hmmm......will keep trying.

Cheers

M

Edited by nextexit

I agree with basilisk that this was likely done in AE or PS with blurred layers. The giveaway is that there is actually no color bleed between letters, just an even halo around them. The glow isn't really the obstacle IMHO. The biggest issue is getting the controlled falloff of the color gradient, but any time you need something like that... think Cheen. Here's a quick example I stirred up in v10.

SoftRender.png

Scenefile here

-m

Edited by the_Monkey

I agree with basilisk that this was likely done in AE or PS with blurred layers. The giveaway is that there is actually no color bleed between letters, just an even halo around them. The glow isn't really the obstacle IMHO. The biggest issue is getting the controlled falloff of the color gradient, but any time you need something like that... think Cheen. Here's a quick example I stirred up in v10.

SoftRender.png

Scenefile here

-m

Looks good Monkey, thanks for sharing your file.

thanks to 'the_Monkey' for the sample file for the MODCAST sample but I opened the file and could no figure out how to make the extrudes glow as a lumenance wasnt assigned to the extrudes...what am I missing ?

thanks to 'the_Monkey' for the sample file for the MODCAST sample but I opened the file and could no figure out how to make the extrudes glow as a lumenance wasnt assigned to the extrudes...what am I missing ?

in the render settings dialog monkey added the glow effect, hope that helps.

coin

in the render settings dialog monkey added the glow effect, hope that helps.

coin

My best guess is that he doesn't have the Advanced Render Module (sometimes I forget that it's "extra").

I PMed him about it, but he hasn't replied.

-m

Guest Sao_Bento

Cheers Monkey for your help man ...sweet!

Thread from 2008? . . . Now THAT'S what I call "follow-through".