Sign in to follow this  
Benjamin Budzak

spring reel 2007

hey everyone,

i just finished my showreel and i was hoping I could get some feedback from you guys...do you think this kind of a reel would be acceptable for entry-level motion graphics freelance work? I'm in chicago, looking to do an internship/freelance work somewhere good this fall possibly...do you think I'm ggod enough to get started or do I still have a ways to go? I'm a total n00b on this, so thanks for your help in advance...

Reel Spring 07

some of your stuff shows great potential....

some of it's like, ummmm, yeah.

If I needed an intern or entry level mographer I'd give you an interview.

You could probably cut your teeth as a junior at a news station...making bumpers and stuff.

don't know how much quality freelance work you could get from this reel. Seems like you could benefit as an intern or in an entry level staff position.

- too much 3d stroke

Edited by mamurphy

Ben -

Nice effort, good for you for posting it!

Yeah, same like above, some clips have some good potential in there, lots is like OMG public access, but there's a place for that in the world...

Try to learn as much as you can about visual design and animation history, seems like an internship would be in your reach, but others might have a better idea about that.

(I'm one to talk - haven't put up my reel yet, will start a thread later...)

Hi Ben, I think you might need to work a little on your sense of design, you seem to know your way around after effects but I find your reel a little effects heavy. They seem to be the basis for alot of what is going on -because you know how its done- for instance that 3d write on to the left of your name at the start, it looks grand but like you just figured out how to do it, so just put it there, -its kind of idle decoration. I think you need to look at your camera work as well, the part where the two lines write on from that dude on the phone, you can really see each keyframe jerk, its not like one fluid movement. Have a gander at those eases. You made a start but i think you need to concentrate on design first, lose the 'fresh prince of bel air' graff stuff, and maybe contemporize it up a bit? Im a beginner myself so feel free to ignore me, but just my thoughts, good luck in any case man, and fair play for putting it up here!

thanks for the feedback...yeah i feel i'm at such a disadvantage because i haven't had any schooling in design (aside from some really useless classes in design for tv)...it's one of those things I really need to do one day, but I'm graduating in another year so hopefully a few good internships will straighten me out a bit...thanks again for the feedback...