Sign in to follow this  
splatcollision

I'm putting it out there...

Howdy mographers... long time daily lurker, known to chime in occasionally...

So it's time, I'm trying to get a new website up, and want to get some freelance mograph work from it.

Right now i'm fulltime in an internal video/multimedia department at a largish corporate place. This is where I've pushed myself to go from static web design and web programming with a knowledge of how After Effects works, to starting to think of myself as an animator, over the past 4 years.

The bummer is that i've got no other recent work, other than for my company. How does this look to prospective clients? How does my reel work so far?

Link:

Splat Collision Industries - Reel

Don't hold back! Do I need to throw in some older and not as tight work that happens to have other corporate bits in there? Comp some stuff up for other companies just for the reel?

Ok, thanks for the replies all.

The general rule of thumb:

Put the kind of work you want to do in your reel.

Do you want to continue working on corporate videos? If so, it's fairly effective, with the exception of the intro image/text, which are a little out of place with the rest of the reel.

If you want to freelance on more commercial and agency jobs, or broadcast jobs, your current reel will probably do very little for you. Take some time off, and make a few personal projects that reflect the kind of work you want to get.

i agree completely. one of the best pieces of advice i ever got was "the kind of work you put out is the kind you'll get more of."

i decided about 5 years ago that i wanted to do edgier work, but i didn't have any in my portfolio. i spent a few hours every day jamming on personal stuff after work, on the weekends, etc, and put some stuff together. i shopped that around, and eventually got people to pay me to do more of the same.

if you want to transition into doing a different kind of work, make some personal projects. they could just be 5 second animations, whatever. just jam on them, then eventually you'll have enough to make a reel out of the best parts- if it's only 30 or 45 seconds, that's fine, as long as it's good.

thx Sermon...

Yeah, agree with that - have to take some time and do more interesting stuff. This board has been a big inspiration so far...

How does everyone like the work I've got so far? Any comments - I know "corporate" is kinda a bad word around here, but I've got some decent creative freedom here, we've got "Brand Guidelines" but they're for print, so I'm just rocking out whatever I can get away with...