Sign in to follow this  
mcloud

My 2007 Demo Reel

Hello, this is my first time on this board but I have heard good things about this website and it's community

I am about to graduate from Columbus College of Art and Design in Columbus OH this spring and would like to get some constructive criticism on my 2007 spring demo reel. I am open to any suggestion on the work included or even the editing of the reel.

http://www.redmushroomcloud.com/footage/Andrew_2007_reel.mov

Thanks

nice! looks like you did some work at left channel. i love that 2.5d green over white thing they did.

it looks like you put all your good stuff in the first half... i'd either completely lop the second half off, or scatter the good stuff around more.

good to see more quality student work here lately.

Overall it looks pretty dope. I really dig the shakey bits of light you have in the intro and your seemless zooming transitions. I only have two bits of criticism: one is that you have alot of vectory stuff in there with a selective pallete. I think you could benefit from adding more texture and some unexpected bits of color to mix it up. Also, some of the things seem to quickly move and stop, like the soldiers and the houses that come right after. Even a subtle zoom or panning may be enough to make the motion feel a little more fluid. Also those vector pieces could make for some great track mattes that you could feather-in when transitioning from clip to clip.

Nice work, keep it up.

Thanks everybody

These are all great suggestions. I especially agree with the second post about spreading out the work a bit better (second half is pretty much my older stuff).

And yeah a lot of stuff I did while freelancing at Leftchannel.

Thanks again for the constructive criticism.

as far as editing/selection goes, i'd take out anything you don't think is very strong or representative of where you're at now. the best advice i ever heard was from stanley kubrick:

"put your second-best shot first, and your best shot last."

Thinking about staying in Columbus and working at Leftchannel for a while. Columbus isn't as art heavy as California or NY but its affordable and I like the people here a lot. But I have to keep an open mind of course.

I like it.

I've got to ask - at the beginning when "mushroom cloud" appears, followed by "2007" and then "demo reel" - you've got this shaky jerky motion thing going on. Are you creating this effect via an expression in AE?

I like it.

I've got to ask - at the beginning when "mushroom cloud" appears, followed by "2007" and then "demo reel" - you've got this shaky jerky motion thing going on. Are you creating this effect via an expression in AE?

I just used "the wiggler" function