Sign in to follow this  
noen

ending credits with After Effects

hello, does anyone have experience doing end credits for a movie?

i am running into some legibility issues for the end credits of a shortfilm. The letters are strobing, and some of the partner logos are flickering as well. the format is the following: 2K frames, 24fps, *.TIFF, 16-bit. each credit title stays on screen for a bit less than 10 seconds. the credits are designed in Illustrator, animated in After Effects, then being brought to a lab for digital-to-film transfer. the lab technicians noticed the problem, and prompted us to correct the issue with the solution that the credit titles (which come out fine in the condensed slab font) are not running in intervals of 24 frames per second (ie. think of a ruler with intervals of 24 pixels), causing the titles to lose the integrity of their antialiasing due to subsample pixeling when the titles are not repositioning themselves on every other precise 24th pixel.. i'm not exactly sure what these means, heh, but i assume that i did not animated them in after effects properly.

currently, the credits are animated in after effects by moving, from bottom to top, an Illustrator file (continuous rasterize one) where I layed out the end credits. i'm assuming this is what is causing the strobing problem in the digital-to-film transfer phase, as After Effects is recalculating the pixels of the vector file (the film credits) for every subsequent frame. As a solution, would it be better to export the whole credits as one solid bitmap image, that way, each pixel has already been defined, antialiasing and all, after effects wouldn't try to recalculate the pixel, as it does with a vector image. It seems like a workaround. I will be taking into consideration the 24 pixels rule.

If anyone has any insight into the issue, that would be great. i'm sure others would benefit as well. I can't seem to find precise information and solutions about it on other sites at the moment. i'll post my findings if anyone is interested.

thanks

edit -

i found a plugin here: http://www.mercuryjones.com/aepresets.html called FlickerFree Credit Roll.zip - i hope it works with 2K resolutions!

Edited by noen

hello, does anyone have experience doing end credits for a movie?

i am running into some legibility issues for the end credits of a shortfilm. The letters are strobing, and some of the partner logos are flickering as well. the format is the following: 2K frames, 24fps, *.TIFF, 16-bit. each credit title stays on screen for a bit less than 10 seconds. the credits are designed in Illustrator, animated in After Effects, then being brought to a lab for digital-to-film transfer. the lab technicians noticed the problem, and prompted us to correct the issue with the solution that the credit titles (which come out fine in the condensed slab font) are not running in intervals of 24 frames per second (ie. think of a ruler with intervals of 24 pixels), causing the titles to lose the integrity of their antialiasing due to subsample pixeling when the titles are not repositioning themselves on every other precise 24th pixel.. i'm not exactly sure what these means, heh, but i assume that i did not animated them in after effects properly.

currently, the credits are animated in after effects by moving, from bottom to top, an Illustrator file (continuous rasterize one) where I layed out the end credits. i'm assuming this is what is causing the strobing problem in the digital-to-film transfer phase, as After Effects is recalculating the pixels of the vector file (the film credits) for every subsequent frame. As a solution, would it be better to export the whole credits as one solid bitmap image, that way, each pixel has already been defined, antialiasing and all, after effects wouldn't try to recalculate the pixel, as it does with a vector image. It seems like a workaround. I will be taking into consideration the 24 pixels rule.

If anyone has any insight into the issue, that would be great. i'm sure others would benefit as well. I can't seem to find precise information and solutions about it on other sites at the moment. i'll post my findings if anyone is interested.

thanks

edit -

i found a plugin here: http://www.mercuryjones.com/aepresets.html called FlickerFree Credit Roll.zip - i hope it works with 2K resolutions!

Are they white titles on black? If so, try dropping the white levels to about 92%

Are you doing any log to lin cineon conversion?

If so, set the highlight expansion (rolloff) on your conversion to zero

Try adding 2-4 pixels of vertical motion blur.

If you try the bitmap thing, make sure to break it up into several chunks or you'll likely get image buffer crashes.

Keep in mind that certain speeds are naturally stroby, if you have any leeway, try just slowing them down or speeding them up.

i added a slight vertical and lowered the level values, and it seems to work just great. i completely forgot about the blurring trick. the pixels seems to be alright now. thanks for the tips!

the credit titles (which come out fine in the condensed slab font) are not running in intervals of 24 frames per second (ie. think of a ruler with intervals of 24 pixels), causing the titles to lose the integrity of their antialiasing due to subsample pixeling when the titles are not repositioning themselves on every other precise 24th pixel...i'm not exactly sure what these means, heh, but i assume that i did not animated them in after effects properly.

I think it means that the speed that After Effects reports in the speed graph (graph editor) for the position property should be 24 or 48, 72, 96 (you get the idea) pixels per second.