Sign in to follow this  
tbmotion

Recommended After Effects Plug Ins

Hey Folks,

I'm looking for recommendations on AE plug-ins. I just started at a company who is creating a mograph department from the ground up, and wants to purchase a nice collection of useful, quality plug-ins that cover all the bases. I say useful because some of these collections are stocked with effects you might only use once a year to justify the price of the package. I know of Tinderbox, Trapcode, Boris Continuum Complete FX, and Digieffects Delirium. What's your thoughts on these and any others in comparison?

Thanks

Hey Folks,

I'm looking for recommendations on AE plug-ins. I just started at a company who is creating a mograph department from the ground up, and wants to purchase a nice collection of useful, quality plug-ins that cover all the bases. I say useful because some of these collections are stocked with effects you might only use once a year to justify the price of the package. I know of Tinderbox, Trapcode, Boris Continuum Complete FX, and Digieffects Delirium. What's your thoughts on these and any others in comparison?

Thanks

There's been quite a few threads similar to this:

http://mograph.net/board/index.php?showtopic=8304

http://mograph.net/board/index.php?showtopic=6039

http://mograph.net/board/index.php?showtopic=5476

http://mograph.net/board/index.php?showtopic=9649

Like everyone's said before - the Trapcode plugins are very handy, especially 3D Stroke and Particular. Knoll Light Factory is also very nice. But it really depends on the type of work you're doing. There's lots of specialized plugins (such as many of the RE:Vision ones) that are very useful for certain situations. Many of the other collections (BCC, Delirium) contain alot of canned effects that usually look better if you do them "by hand" or use stock footage (for example, creating fire or smoke). Definitely try out the demos for the plugins before you buy anything...

I never know which plugin collections are going to be on computers from job to job. I've developed a stable mental equilibrium that I think of as 'make do without anything but Trapcode.' And then it's birthday if I discover there's anything more than that.

My heart flutters a little every time I sit down and see GenArts Sapphire suite installed on a machine. As a freelancer, I've learned to live without tons of 3rd party suites. Oh, and if Gen Arts is too much $$, at least get Composite Wizard, I think Red Giant has released it under a different name now, but it's edge treatments and blurs are excellent.

ReelSmart Motion Blur I find a bit of a life saver in situations where I have to render 3D stuff without having time to apply Scene Motion Blur. It isn't the real thing, but it is definitely better than nothing. If you don't do 3D then you probably won't need it.

ReelSmart Motion Blur I find a bit of a life saver in situations where I have to render 3D stuff without having time to apply Scene Motion Blur. It isn't the real thing, but it is definitely better than nothing. If you don't do 3D then you probably won't need it.

Reelsmart is also sweet for applying to matte passes from roto.

I recommend Boris BCC filters, and all of the Trapcode filters.

They're the only 2 companies that upgrade their filters on an ongoing basis.

Composite Wizard is a great one too.

Edited by bart

- Reelsmart Motion blur is a real ass saver. The pro version with the tracking points is really nice when you want to spend the time. The non-pro version is really nice for a down and dirty way to give things a helping hand.

- Knoll Light Factory is great.

- Trapcode's Particular is fantastic. Maybe some Starglow too for when you need a little bit extra. 3D Stroke can be nice, and you can even use it as a matte to do 'write-on' effects

- Composite Wizard stuff is realy nice.

thats about it for me.