Sign in to follow this  
jayne

Recent Grad: Senior Project

Hello

I just graduated last week and I thought I'd share my senior project. Its goal is to increase teen girls' interest in computing and technology. I focused on interesting projects women are working on in an attempt to dispel stereotypes about the field and people involved.

I'm coming from a heavily print based program and just getting started in motion, so I'm interested in some critiques and feedback from all you real mographers:

Women in Tech

Thanks!

Edited by jayne

Just getting started in motion? Errrrrrr really? Looks pretty nice, you have the whole fluid, one long piece thing working well with the transitions between each little scene, and the jazz flying out of the boxes. The design of it is definitely just right for the audience you're looking at, and the it holds the attention well in terms of length, amount of text, content and everything. Can I ask what software you're using? One thing I'd say is that you could probably push the movement of the objects/camera a little bit more. With cut-out style things like this you can get away with things moving around in kind of a crude, playful way, as if they're sort of stuck to sticks that people are moving with their hands. You also have the 3Dness of it which could look nice with a lot of really smoothed, eased movement. At the moment it's kind of halfway between the two. Apart from that one thing I'd say it's pretty spot on, I'm sure you got a good mark!

The design and palette is the strongest part of the animation. You can tell you're coming from a print background. The idea is great and works well for your audience. The animation lacks though. It's too slow in between the text and things hit way too sharply. If you're using after effects, try easy-easing your key frames to make things look a little smoother. Also, try some squash and stretch every now and then.

Thanks, it was all done in Illustrator and After Effects. I definitely agree with both of you about the movements. I'm finding the animation side of the process the hardest part to get right. Thanks for the feedback!

Just curious, where are you guys getting your animation chops? Mostly just on the job?