Sign in to follow this  
Beaver

DVCPRO HD on a PC with Raylight

Raylight decoder kicks some codec ass for $95. Worth every penny.

http://dvfilmstore.com/raylight-decoder.html

Decodes DVCPROHD for Quicktime and DirectShow on a PC. Used with Apple DVCPROHD Quicktimes on the Windows platform and also with CineForm HDLink in place of the Panasonic decoder. For Windows only.

New release 2.0 - Real-Time, Full-Screen playback in Quicktime Player when installed with the free Panasonic P2 Viewer

Allows you to work natively with the codec, or export to something else such as Animation. It's working well for me, I'm getting realtime playback and exports/converts seem to go pretty quick too.

beav,

are you using the DVCPro quicktimes directly in programs like after-effects and avid? or do you first have to render out animations and then bring them in?

I'd love some simple solution to passing these quicktimes around. my editor works on a mac and I'm doing all of our graphics and effects on a PC. on really large HD projects, this becomes a massive time-suck.

I just finished a commercial for a local shop using the Raylight Decoder on the PC. I personally thought that it worked great . . . and in response to your question, was able to use the DVCPRO footage from the P2 cards directly in AE without having to render them out first. I did get the occasional error of "Unable to decode thread" on my machine at home (But that was fixed by purging the memory in AE and I think more to do with working on an older system than the Raylight Decoder itself). I would recommend this to anyone who is working on HD footage on the PC. Also . . . if anyone out there knows of any drawbacks that I might have seen so far . . .. please let me know. Thanks!!

OMG...I've been waiting for a solution to this forever! I barely ever check other areas on this site besides the Mograph and Lounge and just noticed this!