Sign in to follow this  
C.Smith

CSTools: Free C4D Goodies

UPDATE 01/02/08: Spriticles is now multi-material. Download link as usual is in my sig

Thanks to ødb nagging about it (Just kidding). I added the ability to add up to 4 materials to Spriticles. When you open Spriticles you will see it now has 4 material drop boxes plus a new selector from 1 to 4. The selector is how many of the materials you want it to use randomly in the particle stream. So don't put the material on the Spriticles NULL itself like before. Add any materials in the USER DATA section where the other parameters are. If you look at it I have 4 temp materials being used. That should explain all.

For those wanting Opacity:

HUGE SIGH. I gave it a good go. But alas I can't seem to have enough control to make it an easy solution. The weird opacity-over-age effect ONLY works with keyframes. If I animate it through Xpresso, ALL particles fade at the exact same time as opposed to per the age of each particle. So my next thought is to add 4 keyframes to each display tag (or to animate between a blank alpha material to the user material) and set sliders which (through coffee) would move the keyframe positions. But ALAS from the research I've done there is NO WAY to move keyframe positions through COFFEE. I am sincerely hoping someone way smarter than me like Lennart will tell me that's untrue, but for now, if I can only use keyframes but can't move them through code, I have no way of making it easy on the user. Obviously you can add display tags to all the Plane objects you plane to use and keyframe it yourself, but that defeats half the purpose of having a tool. But whatever. At least enjoy the multi material function now.

Edited by C.Smith

UPDATE 01/02/08: Spriticles is now multi-material. Download link as usual is in my sig

Thanks to ødb nagging about it (Just kidding). I added the ability to add up to 4 materials to Spriticles. When you open Spriticles you will see it now has 4 material drop boxes plus a new selector from 1 to 4. The selector is how many of the materials you want it to use randomly in the particle stream. So don't put the material on the Spriticles NULL itself like before. Add any materials in the USER DATA section where the other parameters are. If you look at it I have 4 temp materials being used. That should explain all.

For those wanting Opacity:

HUGE SIGH. I gave it a good go. But alas I can't seem to have enough control to make it an easy solution. The weird opacity-over-age effect ONLY works with keyframes. If I animate it through Xpresso, ALL particles fade at the exact same time as opposed to per the age of each particle. So my next thought is to add 4 keyframes to each display tag (or to animate between a blank alpha material to the user material) and set sliders which (through coffee) would move the keyframe positions. But ALAS from the research I've done there is NO WAY to move keyframe positions through COFFEE. I am sincerely hoping someone way smarter than me like Lennart will tell me that's untrue, but for now, if I can only use keyframes but can't move them through code, I have no way of making it easy on the user. Obviously you can add display tags to all the Plane objects you plane to use and keyframe it yourself, but that defeats half the purpose of having a tool. But whatever. At least enjoy the multi material function now.

Thanks a lot for your obstinacy. This is really helpfull. I will dissect the expresso. At least one guy will really enjoy it.

Update: 01/10/08 CS_SpringNull

Here is an example movie of it being used.

From the docs:

25. CS_SpringNull

What for: All those flowers, buildings, words, and other things in mograph where things spring into place. Or of course simulating spring and bouncing movement. This tool has two modes "Bounce" and "Spring". Bounce is like the null is bouncing off a hard surface, Spring just oscillates till it decays. Just like all the other CS_Nulls, this is based around 0,0,0. So if you want to move it somewhere in space, parent it to another null or object and put that where it needs to be. In the EXAMPLES folder in the CSTools folder there is a demo file of CS_SpringNull being used.

Sliders:

Formula: Set this pull down menu to either Bounce or Spring

Framestart: Which frame the animation occurs

Position/Rotation:

Amount: How far away from zero the animation begins. This can also be set negative.

Mass: The frequency of the oscillation.

Bounce: How 'bouncy' it is.

Energy Scrub: This is a secondary decay so that over time, the decay is dampened more as though from friction. Most noticeable at the end of the bounce or spring.

Axis: XYZ (for position) and HPB (Rotation) Radio Buttons. What Axis the animation happens in. But again, you can move this null anywhere and to any axis by nesting it under another null.

Edited by C.Smith

Hi Chris, Great stuff that is!

I am playing with it and whilst rendering and reading your blog ( :lol: ) I thought of an added functionality:

a "compression" slider that squeezes the object on the Y axis so that it becomes more of a cartoony animation.

Do you know what I mean?

Now thinking of that it would have to be squeezed from the bottom so that it keeps touching the floor.

Or translated back down by the squeezed amount.

Hope it makes sense.

FordFocus_small.mov

Thanks, dudes.

Antoine, out of curiosity, how long did it take you to animate the Ford Focus thing?

edit: Oh, Squash & Stretch. I played with it while doing it, but the UI sliders needed to give you options took it out of the 'simple and clean' stage. Also it isn't as simple as putting the same math into the scale parameters. Well, you can, but there are the issues of anchor points , where the "ground" in the bouncing relative to the size of the objects that will be squashing, etc. But what I may do is modify SpringNull, so it's geared more to squash and stretch.

Edited by C.Smith

Chris, the animation took next to no time, it was just made in a couple of moves playing with the options.

The lengthy part was playing with reflections, lights, etc...

I love the way you can control the "feel" of the animation, from rigid to really bouncy.

I'll be watching for the Squash & Stretch update then ;)

Thanks for your cool plugins, I'm using them more and more.

Here's something I'm working on, that's an early stage render using MoCam:

Flythrough_v1.mov

Chris, the animation took next to no time, it was just made in a couple of moves playing with the options.

The lengthy part was playing with reflections, lights, etc...

I love the way you can control the "feel" of the animation, from rigid to really bouncy.

I'll be watching for the Squash & Stretch update then ;)

Thanks for your cool plugins, I'm using them more and more.

Here's something I'm working on, that's an early stage render using MoCam:

Flythrough_v1.mov

Very nice. Thanks for that feedback.

Note on your animation: Are using using the "Target Depth" settings on the waypoint cams? For example, when the first move looks into the door, it's starting to look a bit early. You can change the target depths of waypoint 1 and 2 so that the camera doesn't look into the wall first before seeing in the door. The same goes for the move from 2 to 3. Unless you are trying to show the pictures on the wall on purpose. Many people miss the Target Depth settings and don't get the desired "Look at" animation they want. It's making me think I should tie the target depth parameter into the MoCam UI itself and call it something like "look at fulcrum" or something.

Antoine , I hope you don't mind, but I posted your clip and quote in the SpringNull CGTalk thread. I was getting grief about why you would use it when there is the mograph delay effector and the Mocca Spring constraint.

CGTalk Thread

Yeah that's cool with me. Anything to help you, I'd be superglad. It's already an honor you speak my name :wub:

Regarding MoCam's "Target Depth" setting, it took me a while to understand!

Now I get it but the problem I see is that if you give a high value to say Waypoint 2's depth, it will not only come in not looking at the target, but it will also leave it looking "out".

Big problem when I get to the door because it then goes through it!

Apart from that I didn't see the need here to use them - I wanted to see the pictures on the wall.

Also, this is what I'd love to do with CS_SpringNull Squash and Stretch Edition, but I'm sure you know that already.

FordFocus_squash.mov

Edited by Antoine

Yeah that's cool with me. Anything to help you, I'd be superglad. It's already an honor you speak my name :wub:

Regarding MoCam's "Target Depth" setting, it took me a while to understand!

Now I get it but the problem I see is that if you give a high value to say Waypoint 2's depth, it will not only come in not looking at the target, but it will also leave it looking "out".

Big problem when I get to the door because it then goes through it!

Apart from that I didn't see the need here to use them - I wanted to see the pictures on the wall.

Also, this is what I'd love to do with CS_SpringNull Squash and Stretch Edition, but I'm sure you know that already.

FordFocus_squash.mov

Yeah, that's the squash n Stretch I speak of as well. Usually by balancing both target depths on either side of a move (like way1 and way2 for first move) I can get it to do about anything, but I haven't tested it personally in a lot of cases. I usually do my own rule-of-thumb where you set the target depth out just far enough to touch the subject you want focus on. Then it usually does a pretty good move from that alone. But many people leave the target depths all at the stock setting which makes a stilted animation.

Chris,

thanks again for all your hards work on this stuff! i love CS tools.

2 things:

1. is there a way you could re-post a lot of the files you have linked to in this thread? every file i try and download doesn't exist anymore, and it's sure to be valuable info.

2. i am trying to take a camera i already have setup in c4d - and i want to animate it with easycam. problem is when i use the transfer function to get the cameras aligned, the actual focal length settings don't seam to be alterable. i am finding it impossible to match the camera due to this. is there a solution?

thanks!

Chris,

thanks again for all your hards work on this stuff! i love CS tools.

2 things:

1. is there a way you could re-post a lot of the files you have linked to in this thread? every file i try and download doesn't exist anymore, and it's sure to be valuable info.

2. i am trying to take a camera i already have setup in c4d - and i want to animate it with easycam. problem is when i use the transfer function to get the cameras aligned, the actual focal length settings don't seam to be alterable. i am finding it impossible to match the camera due to this. is there a solution?

thanks!

Hmm. I'd have to search through my comps and see if I still have any of that stuff. I'll see what I can find and post it. Is there anything in particular you want to see the most?

Camera:

Match the easycam focal length to the original Cam you were using?

The best thing I think is just note your original cam PSR and focal length and set the PSR of the Easycam start cam to the same numbers. Then in the Easycam tool itself, set the focal length (Which applies to the start and end cam).

If you HAVE to have the focal length change throughout the move, then use MoCam and turn off all the waypoints except 1 and 2. MoCam allows seperate focal length settings per waypoint.

Also there is Easycam2 which uses the MoCam system instead of a pathBend function. In Easycam 2, you set the target depth distances of the start and end cam to change how the camera path bends.

Hopefully i understood your question.

Glad you like the tools :)

maybe my problem was i was using easy cam 1.

i was able to easily match the PSR for the camera, but when i tried to manually change the easycam focal length, it kept changing back to what it was as default.

is this different in EC2? or am i changing the setting in the wrong place?

thanks!

maybe my problem was i was using easy cam 1.

i was able to easily match the PSR for the camera, but when i tried to manually change the easycam focal length, it kept changing back to what it was as default.

is this different in EC2? or am i changing the setting in the wrong place?

thanks!

Easycam 1 or 2 both have the focal length set in the Easycam UI (User Data in Attribute manager). If you try and change it on the cams themselves, the xpresso is going to snap the value back to what is set in the Easycam settings.

It's the very first parameter in the settings of Easycam:

EZCam.png

hi chris

don't ask me how i got this, but my camera i need to match has a focal length of 33.674 and a field of view of 56.252

when i get into easy cam2 and set the user data for the focal length to the number above, it snaps to 33 exact.

i have never understood the correlation between these 2 parameters - but is there a way to get an exact match?

thanks!

hi chris

don't ask me how i got this, but my camera i need to match has a focal length of 33.674 and a field of view of 56.252

when i get into easy cam2 and set the user data for the focal length to the number above, it snaps to 33 exact.

i have never understood the correlation between these 2 parameters - but is there a way to get an exact match?

thanks!

HERE I made you a custom version where it will accept floating point values for the focal length. I keep the normal Easycam as integers for focal length. I also set the focal length you specified as it's default. The FOV fell into place automatically as the number you mentioned.

It's a long explanation, but FOV and focal length in real photography are relative to the gauge size of the film. Or backplane.

For example in motion picture cameras, a 20 mm lens on a 35mm film camera is going to be approximately the same width (FOV) as a 10mm on a 16mm camera.

perfect thanks!

i can't recall what plugin this was, but either on your tools or steadycam there is a feature where you can tweak a like spline looking thing which alters the path between cameras.

is this mocam maybe that does that?

is was really simple to use whatever it was.

thanks

perfect thanks!

i can't recall what plugin this was, but either on your tools or steadycam there is a feature where you can tweak a like spline looking thing which alters the path between cameras.

is this mocam maybe that does that?

is was really simple to use whatever it was.

thanks

EasyCam 1 does that. But if you use the Target Depth settings on the cameras, EasyCam 2 is really easy to use. Read the MoCam instructions about using Target Depth. Easycam 2 is a 2 camera version of MoCam.