Sign in to follow this  
C.Smith

CSTools: Free C4D Goodies

i got an issues with using the helix spline with line grow. As soon as you move the helix or modify the various properties the arrow goes nuts. it just goes all over the place...

Thanks Chris for the tools and thanks Nick for the tutorials. I've finally decided to take up c4d after using maya for quite a long time. Excellent work guys!

Edited by Nerra

this is amazing... have you released this yet? any beta floating around of it?

If any one happens to be interested , I'm posting a test movie of a new tool "BuildOn". It takes a complex model and scales and rotates every part to assemble it with springy effects. Here it is used on a low poly turbo squid model:

MOVIE

this is amazing... have you released this yet? any beta floating around of it?

I have not, but here's an early version. Albert Omoss jumped in to help me with it so we added Position animations as well as rotation and scale. However that one needs a few fixes. But here is my original. In general to have sucess, before linking your model hierarchy to the tool:

Un nest everything and make sure all the axis to each object is centered to itself. You can do this quite easily but selecting your model's top object, Select 'select all children'. Then select 'extract groups'. Then hit opt-G to regroup them all. At this point every object should be out of their nested folders and grouped under one master null. lastly, make sure all objects are selected and select 'center axis to' so that the axis is automatically centered on each object. Then lastly link that top null to the CS_BuildOn tool and hit play.

You'll see that the order it builds on is the hierarchy order of the objects in the group. So rearrange them to change the sequence of build. Good luck.

LINK

incredible! thanks! can't wait to start playing with it!

I have not, but here's an early version. Albert Omoss jumped in to help me with it so we added Position animations as well as rotation and scale. However that one needs a few fixes. But here is my original. In general to have sucess, before linking your model hierarchy to the tool:

Un nest everything and make sure all the axis to each object is centered to itself. You can do this quite easily but selecting your model's top object, Select 'select all children'. Then select 'extract groups'. Then hit opt-G to regroup them all. At this point every object should be out of their nested folders and grouped under one master null. lastly, make sure all objects are selected and select 'center axis to' so that the axis is automatically centered on each object. Then lastly link that top null to the CS_BuildOn tool and hit play.

You'll see that the order it builds on is the hierarchy order of the objects in the group. So rearrange them to change the sequence of build. Good luck.

LINK

just had a quick play

I like it Chris. It might be possible to get this effect with a Mograph Fracture object, and various effectors, but I know that this is easier!

Would it be possible to get BuildOn to work with a Mograph Cloner object, without converting it?

Edited by basilisk

This awesome! Although on first glance you'd think you could do this with the fracture object and the delay effector, actually this does exactly what i've been looking how to do for ages, it only struck me when i saw basilisk's example. I can finally get a whole bunch of objects to popup in sequence! i havent been able to figure out how to do that with mograph for ages.

MEGA PROPS!

just had a quick play

I like it Chris. It might be possible to get this effect with a Mograph Fracture object, and various effectors, but I know that this is easier!

Would it be possible to get BuildOn to work with a Mograph Cloner object, without converting it?

Yeah, I'm sure. But like my rant in the C4D conundrums thread, mograph confuses the hell out of me. Stoiqa showed me the Max plug-in "Grow" and asked me if I could replicate it so that was my first try. I ended up using it for real the other day. We have a job going and I have an AE artist here who wanted 3D theater seats all growing on sequentially to build a movie theater. So I grabbed a seat model from the squid and tried animating it in mograph for him. Could not get the effector falloff to make it grow on sequentially so I dumped it and this tool solved the problem in a couple minutes. I know there's a way to do it in mograph, but apparently it's over my head.

YAY

Cannot wait to play with this.

Anyone try it with a rigged model yet? ...can you?

It only works on the objects one hierarchy step below the parent null. SO whatever is in groups beyond that get treated as one object being animated. So for a better effect you ungroup as much as possible.

It only works on the objects one hierarchy step below the parent null. SO whatever is in groups beyond that get treated as one object being animated. So for a better effect you ungroup as much as possible.

Gotcha.

Can instances of BuildOn be nested inside one another? Or does that tear a hole in spacetime?

Gotcha.

Can instances of BuildOn be nested inside one another? Or does that tear a hole in spacetime?

You know. I'm not sure what would happen. If nothing else, two different BuildOns may be trying to control the PSR of the same objects and one will win I bet. But if you assign a sub group to a different build on, it is not seen by the main buildon so it may work for subgroups.

I finally just started using these today - (been doing MAX jobs lately) - and I have one quick question.. is there anyway to use the SpringNull to add springy-ness to something thats not PSR like say the Offset on a SplineWrap?

I finally just started using these today - (been doing MAX jobs lately) - and I have one quick question.. is there anyway to use the SpringNull to add springy-ness to something thats not PSR like say the Offset on a SplineWrap?

Hmm. Interesting thought. I suppose you could do some simple Xpresso tying something like the Y value of the springNull to the input of the Offset of the wrap thru a Range Mapper so it scales the way you want. Which is the same process as just doing the Set Driven command.

I just did a quick test for you to look at. I tied it to an Extrude instead of a Wrap but you'll see what's going on. Works pretty well.

Move the offset null in Z to set where you want the extrude to end up. And of course mess with The SpringNull values to your liking.

http://sugarfilmproduction.com/SpringToExtrude.zip

EDIT: Interesting thing, when mapping the Global.Z of the springNull to the "To" of a SplineWrap, I needed to Divide by 100 before it got to the SplineWrap. It was reporting (using a Spy node) properly as say 52.323, but in the actual SplineWrap, it was setting the To to 5232.3 - bizarre, but compensated for... thanks again

original post:

This is awesome, you didn't have to do that, but thank you very much!

I just did a quick test for you to look at. I tied it to an Extrude instead of a Wrap but you'll see what's going on. Works pretty well.

Move the offset null in Z to set where you want the extrude to end up. And of course mess with The SpringNull values to your liking.

http://sugarfilmproduction.com/SpringToExtrude.zip

Edited by mankeroo

neat, this seems like an easier thing to use than using a spring constraint on a null and reading it's Y position. This works when scrubbing too. Cheers.

I wish expresso had a springy node. that would make life so much easier.

neat, this seems like an easier thing to use than using a spring constraint on a null and reading it's Y position. This works when scrubbing too. Cheers.

I wish expresso had a springy node. that would make life so much easier.

It could be made very easily with a coffee node in Xpresso with the right expression. On any of my springy stuff I use variations of the same expression I stole from Dan Ebbert's AE site.

Hm... i'll have to look into that. But i have like no coding experience watsoever. (except using the elastic command in flash AS2)