Sign in to follow this  
C.Smith

CSTools: Free C4D Goodies

One more SpringNull question - is there anyway to easily compensate for the offset that these nulls seem to introduce? I mean lets say I have an object that I've got moving into place at frame 20 and I want a subtle spring after it lands... so I put it under a spring null and everything is great, except for it offsets the starting position of animation - they land in the right place, but because the null seems to start at the apex of its spring it offsets at the start, and I'm just wondering if there is an easy way to counter that rather than manually adjusting my initial keys every time, depending on how much spring I want?

One more SpringNull question - is there anyway to easily compensate for the offset that these nulls seem to introduce? I mean lets say I have an object that I've got moving into place at frame 20 and I want a subtle spring after it lands... so I put it under a spring null and everything is great, except for it offsets the starting position of animation - they land in the right place, but because the null seems to start at the apex of its spring it offsets at the start, and I'm just wondering if there is an easy way to counter that rather than manually adjusting my initial keys every time, depending on how much spring I want?

Easy way, no. Coffee has had iffy results with getting data from keys if at all. In r11 they change the SDK a lil in regards to keys so I would need to check that out. What you really want I think is like the springy expressions for AE. The nulls are a one trick pony. They are nothing more than a sin wave being dampened by an Exp curve. So at the start is the sin or cosine at it's full wave. The best is if it worked like the AE expression but I would need to look into that.

You're too generous, Chris.

Question: how would I go about running BuildOn in reverse?

I'm sure you have plans for this, but I'll toss a suggestion out anyway: it would be killer to have an Animation slider so that we could easily animate from built to unbuilt states. Since you can scrub and play backwards with this, seems like it shouldn't be difficult?

Thanks so much for this thing.

You're too generous, Chris.

Question: how would I go about running BuildOn in reverse?

I'm sure you have plans for this, but I'll toss a suggestion out anyway: it would be killer to have an Animation slider so that we could easily animate from built to unbuilt states. Since you can scrub and play backwards with this, seems like it shouldn't be difficult?

Thanks so much for this thing.

Good idear actually. I was going to make it with 2 start frames and 2 durations so it built on then built off after. But an animation slider seems like a better idea. I need to get back and finish this, Albert Omoss added the functionality to minimize setup and added positions and i need to get that out the door. Luckily and unluckily I'm insanely busy right now so it will have to wait a few weeks or so.

Thanks for the good thought.

Awesome. Thank you, Chris.

I've been experimenting with BuildOn and a rigged model. Unfortunately, I couldn't get BuildOn to behave appropriately with a model with IK animation. It seems like it's writing coordinates directly to objects, without respecting expression priority? At least, that's the best I can figure after trying all sorts of ways to get IK animation to take priority over BuildOn.

What happens is that everything looks like it animates together fine in the editor, but at rendertime, my IK animation just doesn't render at all, while BuildOn's animation does (IK dynamics do render, oddly). Even weirder: this only happens if I render from the start of the scene (with my BuildOn animation beginning at frame 0). If I start rendering partway through BuildOn's animation, it lets the IK animation progressively "show through" and gradually becomes more accurate the later I start rendering from. If I render from the point where BuildOn has finished its animation, any IK animation after it renders fine. And most weirdly: if I render a still from any point in the animation, it renders fine, respecting both BuildOn and IK animation.

I tried animating BuildOn on and off, animating its affected object, etc. No dice.

I may have some screwy priorities or hierarchization going on here, so if you want to see the scene file, let me know. Since my main IK animation takes place after BuildOn has finished building my model, I've found a workaround is to create two copies of the model, and let BuildOn build the first copy, then switch visibility between the first and second copies of the model and continue the animation with the second copy, which isn't touched by BuildOn.

Haven't tried rendering the workaround version with GI and AO switched on yet, so hopefully no issues arise there. I did notice that the BuildOn model is offset a bit from the non-BuildOn model, but covered that with some VibrateNull2 action.

I'm also using other CS_Tools stuff in this scene, but taking them out didn't affect anything.

Anyway, just wanted to leave a little feedback here. Again, thanks for this badass tool.

I've been playing with the buildon script and its awesome, thanks Chris. Is there a way to slow down the pop up?

Yeah, just play with the mass and bounce settings. Put the mass high and the bounce high and it will go surprisingly slow and smooth.

Guest Sao_Bento

My CSTools presentation at the Maxon booth from a few weeks ago:

http://www.cineversity.com/tutorials/lesson.asp?tid=1569

Nice. I thought the "hero" music was for you at first - I didn't realize it was part of the spot.

I would have had them play "you are the wind beneath my wings" while I demonstrated how to check the "hierarchical" check box on the extrude nurbs generator.

could you throw that somewhere on vimeo or mediafire or something? coz it just does not load... Or even youtube would be better. I'm really looking forward to seeing this.

Well I saw it, it was awesome.

I got a question though. I'm currently working on a walk cycle, and your cs_walkcycle is AWESOME! only one issue, i cant line up the hands to move in sync with the steps. I tried messing with the xpresso to change the frequency to frames per step, but couldn't do it. Anyone care to try and push me in the right direction?

Cheers,

Vozzz

Edited by vozzz

Well I saw it, it was awesome.

I got a question though. I'm currently working on a walk cycle, and your cs_walkcycle is AWESOME! only one issue, i cant line up the hands to move in sync with the steps. I tried messing with the xpresso to change the frequency to frames per step, but couldn't do it. Anyone care to try and push me in the right direction?

Cheers,

Vozzz

Just so you know, Walkcycle is the only unfinished tool. It was only built for hips and feet for now. If you try and lock hands to feet or something they will move probably fairly incorrectly.

Ok, well all i wanted is to know at what rate the feet are moving and be able to set that up manually. but no matter, don't do much walk cycles. Probs gona go to XSI for character aniamtion anyway.

New question: Was just playing around with cs_build_onv3, and realised that all the objects that get built on, have their axis zeroed, which is to say the least a bit inconvenient. but assuming thee is no way of changing that behavious, is there any simple way to zero the axis of all my object before plugging them into the build_on object?

cheers

Ok, well all i wanted is to know at what rate the feet are moving and be able to set that up manually. but no matter, don't do much walk cycles. Probs gona go to XSI for character aniamtion anyway.

New question: Was just playing around with cs_build_onv3, and realised that all the objects that get built on, have their axis zeroed, which is to say the least a bit inconvenient. but assuming thee is no way of changing that behavious, is there any simple way to zero the axis of all my object before plugging them into the build_on object?

cheers

BuildOn isn't officially "released". I just posted it as an early look to friends here. The current version which I have not posted Albert Omoss has modified to remember what positions and rotations things were at so it needs far less setup.

That being said, You can set up an object fairly easily by doing this:

Take a complicated model. Select the top object. Select all children (command). Expand group (Command). Then regroup (opt-G). This will put all objects out of their sub nests and makes them all children of one master null. Assuming all objects are still selected do the 'center axis to' command and that will zero all the axis. If you want to zero all their coords , you can also use the ResetPSR command.

That is what's done on the ford model. Anything nested in a group gets treated like one object.