Sign in to follow this  
C.Smith

CSTools: Free C4D Goodies

Wow, very cool! It's getting very hard keeping track with your updates :-)

Yeah it really is, I didn't even bother looking at this thread since the last update because I thought there was no way you updated again already haha. Thanks again Chris, I'm throwing another +1,000,000 karma points your way, which of course means nothing.

way beyond the call of duty.

Thanks, man. But it's all good. Really doing these tools is a fun spare time project for the weekends. It replaces my old fascination with making stupid programs on the C64 or RealBasic stuff. Plus it helps me bang out animatics way quicker with them :)

NEW TOOL: CS_MoCam

Here is the latest CSTool. It is an 8 point motion graphics camera system. Used for those projects where the camera jumps from point to point in space and stalls at each location:

Here is the entry in the instructions for CS_MoCam. Download link in my sig

---

18. CS_MoCam:

What for: The common need in MoGraph where there is one continuous camera move that pops between angles and stays at each stop one for a while.

Directions:

First Things: After adding Mocam, twirl down the main null and you'll see a group of 8 "Waypoint" cameras. Each of these are for moving in 3D space where you want the start (Waypoint1) and the next 7 stops to be. In the C4D camera list you'll see the 8 Waypoints and the render cam ("MoCam"). The Waypoints can be moved out of the Main null hierarchy if you wish. In fact you can do whatever you want with them. For example, place one under a CS_Vibrate null and that particular stop will vibrate just like the Waypoint cam itself. Maybe attach one of the Waypoints to a CS_Movenull set to rotate around a graphic. When the MoCam gets to that waypoint it will take on the rotations of that waypoint before it moves on.

Use the "Target Distance": A very important part of the camera morphing between Waypoints is utilizing the camera's built in "Target Distance" as an orbiting fulcrum. The "Target Distance" is found in the "Depth" section of each Waypoint. It can be most easily grabbed in the viewpoint as the centered Orange dot sticking out of each camera. As the MoCam morphs between waypoints, it uses the distance of the "Target Distance" to rotate around to create curved flight paths. So as the MoCam transitions from one Waypoint to another , if you aren't liking how it "looks-at" on it's travels, change the "Target Distance" parameters on each Waypoint to change how it travels. A good rule of thumb is to set the Target Distance so it is touching the subject you want to focus on (like if you were setting it for DOF focus).

Mad Props: I want to send a couple of shout outs for this. First is Basilisk for talking me into making this and helping with ideas. And second a huge thanks to Lennart(TCA Studios) for not only helping me with a Rotation problem but also being cool that this cam system is very close in concept to his "SteadyGlide" where I got the idea for using the "Target Distance" as the orbiting point. If you want the fully krunkest Camera system, get his "SteadyCam Pro" package.

Sliders:

Global:

Waypoints Visibilty (checkbox): This globally turns on/off the visibility of the 8 Waypoint cams

Per Waypoint:

FrameStart: This is only on Waypoint1. Set this to delay when the animation begins.

Hold Frames: This is on Waypoint 2 onwards. At each stop this can be set positive so that the cam stalls at each waypoint for a while. But this can also be set in negative values for the MoCam to never really settle in. It will become a soft move passing by the waypoint the way a spline softly moves between B-Spline points. It's easier to just do than to explain.

Duration(sec): Set in seconds. Length of time of each cam move. All the Waypoints shift in time per each of the other's setting. So if you change the duration or hold frames of anyone of them the others shift in relation.

EaseOut: zero is linear. 100% is extremely eased. This is the curve leaving the current waypoint.

EaseIn: This is the ease of the camera arriving at the next waypoint.

Focal Length: Each Waypoint has it's own Focal length set here.

Active(Check box): The first 2 cams are always active but from Waypoint 3 on, this makes them part of the whole move. If you want less than 7 moves between 8 points then shut of the Waypoints you don't need. The Active switch also effects the visibility of it's respective Waypoint. If it's not being used, it won't be visible.

Match Prev Waypoint(Check box): This is the same as the "Lock E to S" in CS_EasyCam. It's mostly used so that when you want to move to setting the next waypoint it's easier to do it where you just dropped the last waypoint rather than from zero. When this checkbox is on, the current cam has the same rot and pos as it's previous waypoint (although does not share focal length or target distance

Target Distance: This is not in the UI, this is in each Waypoint cam itself. Drag the Target Distance widget in the viewport or set it in the "Depth" tab of each Waypoint cam. This is used for camera rotations as the MoCam travels from point to point.

Edited by C.Smith

Guest dumbo

nice work once again chris. keep it up!

edit: just had a play. that's so freaking easy to use, and perfect for 90% of the camera moves i regularly use (move, pause, move, pause etc) . bloody legend!

Edited by dumbo

Mad Props: I want to send a couple of shout outs for this. First is Basilisk for talking me into making this and helping with ideas.

No probs mate. Probably the best reason so far for me to sink 500 quid on the v10 upgrade...

nice work once again chris. keep it up!

edit: just had a play. that's so freaking easy to use, and perfect for 90% of the camera moves i regularly use (move, pause, move, pause etc) . bloody legend!

Awesome. Glad you dig it. I suggest also puting some of the way points under some of the other CS motion tools. It makes it interesting when it gets to a stop and aquires the motion temporarily.

You misunderstand me - I mean spondoolicks, wonga, oof, queenie papers...

Yeah, I know. It just sounded like calimari when I was hungry. Too bad our ends, bucks, greenbacks,and ducks are weak against your queenie papers.

C.Smith once again your tools amaze me, now I can throw away the whole multiple CS_Cam's I had keyframed in a Stage object, and finally do it with one object which is great.

Thank you VERY much, your contribution can't be described in words.

NEW TOOLS AND FIXES 8/30/07

**Download link is in my sig**

What's new 8/30/07

- Added new tools: CS_VibrateNull2, CS_Easycam2, CS_DocuCam, CS_ActionCam, CS_Cubes.

-CS_MoveNull now has a checkbox called "Infinite". When checked the movement lasts forever. When unchecked the framestart/Duration/Curve are used for a timed effect.

-CS_Daylight has a Shadow check box now for shadows (Hard shadow from the rim light).

-CS_Mocam had the Framestart and hold frame UI changed to number boxes instead of sliders with a min of -9999 and max of 9999.

-Added an Examples folder. I have one example for now but if anyone would like to add examples for others let me know. Keep the data low and try to not use any C4D modules that aren't core if necessary.

New tools part of the T.O.C:

19. CS_EasyCam2(NEW): Like original but using MoCam system and diff noise functions.

20 CS_DocuCam(NEW): Used for realistic handheld with snap zooms.

21. CS_ActionCam(NEW): Michael Bay algorithm attached to a cam.

22. CS_VibrateNull2(NEW): Uses turbulent function instead of noise. Allows channel mixing.

23 CS_Cubes(NEW): First tool based on Instance replication. Fun with cubes.

Docs for new tools (as well as in the included read me):

19. CS_EasyCam2

What for: Basic film moves from point A to Point B. Or in this case Start to End. However this version doesn't use the Path bend function like the original. This uses the Target Distances on the _S and _E cam to create a bent path. Read the details in MoCam to know how this is done. Also The Cam shake section is now based on Turbulence instead of Noise. So there is now a 'complexity' slider which is the Octaves of the turbulence. Setting the frequency-to-complexity ratio just right will yield some very natural movements.

Sliders:

Focal Length: Both cams share one setting

FrameStart: WHen the move begins

Duration(sec): How long in seconds the move lasts

EaseOut/In: Instead of a graph, this uses sliders like MoCam. The higher the number the more ease.

Lock E to S (Checkbox): When this is on, the End Cam is locked to the Start Cam. Set the start cam first, uncheck this box then set the End cam.

S&E Cam visibility(Checkbox): This makes the _S and _E cams visible in the viewport

Position/Rot Turbulence: Instead of ratio slider, there is now a mix slider for how much the turbulence affects the Positions and rotaions.

Frequency: Speed of turbulence

Complexity: Octaves of turbulence

Camera Banking: If you think about it, a hand held or shaking effect is mostly pan and tilt with little to no camera roll or dutching. This slider allows you to limit camera banking so the net result is more pan and tilt.

20. CS_DocuCam

What for: This one is fun. Just drop the object of interest into the Target Box and position this tool a ways away from the object. The camera targets it. No big deal, except this has a snap zoom "engine" as well as offsets and turbulence options. With a little tweaking this will make it seem like there is a handheld Documentary camera man capturing your target object. The snap zoom function decides to do a snap zoom based on your probability setting. When it decides to zoom, it picks a direction at random either tighter or wider. This is cumulative so the zoom may drift over time depending on the seed value. There is a reset frame so it can be set back to base when the animation begins again.

Sliders:

Target Object(Drop Box): Drop the subject in here:

Offset X/Y/Z: Use these to offset the target point. For example if you dropped in a person. You can offset the Y so the cam focuses on the head.

Seed: All the random and turbulence functions are based on this number. So by switching the seed just one number, it's like switching out the cameraman with a whole new performance. Once you get all your sliders right, shop through different seeds and see which moves you like best.

Base Zoom: This is not in "Focal Lengths" because it's not that exact. This is the starting zoom amount, and know that the snap zooms will take it from there.

Actual Zoom: This isn't meant to be touched by the user. This is so you know how much the zoom has drifted from your base.

Actual Foc Len: Not meant to be touched. This is for your reference so you know what the actual Focal length the camera is at.

Reset Frame: Very important. The snap zoom is cumulative. So when you restart the animation there needs to be a frame where the zoom is brought back to match the base setting. If there is no reset frame, the zoom will snap forever eventually drifting to it's min or max values.

So if you start from 0 each time, then set it to zero, but if you're looping at say 100 - 150, you'll want to set the reset to 100.

Snap Zoom Section

Probability: This is how often the camera "Chooses" to do a snap zoom.

Amount: This is how much zoom the camera man snaps.

Duration: How fast the snap is.

Organic Motion Section

Amplitude: Amount of turbulence

Freq: Speed

Complexity: Octaves of the turbulence

Camera Banking: Limits the rotations on the Z so the camera doesn't dutch as much as pan and tilt.

21. CS_ActionCam

What for: Should be called the Michael Bay tool. It's CS_DocuCam, but attached to the object of interest itself. So in addition to DocuCam functions it adds settings for how much it orbits around the subject both vertically and horizontally as well its variance in distance from the subject.

Sliders:

Check DocuCam for all the common parameters. Added parameters here:

Cam Orbit:

Orbit Set: Center point of orbit

Orbit Deviation: How much it uses turbulence to deviate from that point

Deviation Freq: Speed of deviation

Deviation Complexity: Octaves of the turbulent function

Cam Distance and Cam height sections use the same sliders as the orbit section. The only notable difference is a min Clamp function on each. For distance this min clamp function sets the minimum distance the cam can get to the subject. So if it's following a person it won't get so close as to go inside the person. The height min clamp is made for protecting the cam from going through the floor if your subject is on a surface.

22. CS_VibrateNull2

What For: Like the original Vibrate null this is a alternate to the built in C4D vibrate tag. WHat's different about this version is that it has channel mixing between the XYZHPB. Also the vibration is now based on turbulence instead of normal noised. So there is a Complexity (Octaves) function now for more realistic movement.

Sliders:

Amplitude: Amount of turbulence

Freq: Speed of turbulence

Complexity: Octaves of turbulence

Seed: Sets the seed for all 6 turbulent functions. Change this to get different results.

Then there are six sliders that mix in how much amplitude per XYZHPB you want.

23. CS_Cubes

What for: This is for creating various mograph elements using cubes. Really it's something better played with than explained.

Props: This is tool is based around the Xpresso node called "InstanceMaker" that was conceived by Base80 and programmed by Majoul. So thanks for that.

Sliders:

PolyBaseObject(DropBox): Drop a polygon object in here to grow cubes from.

Grow On Section

Grow(Checkbox): When checked, the cubes appear over time

Grow Speed: How fast they appear in order

Noise Section:

Static(Checkbox): When checked there is no animation of the cubes.

Amplitude: Amount of cube movement

Frequency: Speed of movement. Also note that the cubes move faster the higher their index is. So the first cubes to appear will move the slowest.

Seed: Set this to different numbers for different noise outcomes.

Cube Settings:

Bidirectional(Checkbox): When checked, cubes can move forward and backwards. Unchecked, only in positive directions.

Offset: This has huge results when moved. This not only moves the cubes, but also changes the axis upon which they are scaled.

CubeSize: How big the cubes are

X/Y/Z/ scale (Checkboxes): These turn on scaling on those Axis. Defaults to just Y.

Aspect(Vectorbox): Changes the aspect ratio of the cubes

I just opened the "CS_ActionCam.c4d" and there are some materials in the file, just that you know.

Crap. Didn't notice that. Thanks.

EDIT: Thanks, fixed. it. That's what I get for making a custom layout that doesn't show materials at all. This may answer Govinda's question that these were built for a project I'm working on (that had the materials) and apparently I forgot to dump them :unsure: I actually thought twice about making DocuCam and ActionCam public since they were custom built for a need. Then I felt that the tools do not make the artist so I went ahead. It's not like ILM lost business when they released OpenEXR.

Edited by C.Smith

Guest Sao_Bento
NEW TUTORIAL:

Ko at Toolfarm unbeknownst to me did a new intro tutorial to CS Tools I just saw. So thanks, Ko :)

CSTools Tut

Love the mug shot - thanks for posting.

CSTools Update 9.27.07

Yallz, I updated CS_DocuCam with a major fix and modified use.

But also CSTools will now be downloaded thru my blog so I can add more features like FAQ, Tutorial links, and questions without tying up forums.

Keep it real.