"Hating to Love Fake Boobies

Fake Boobies 101: They are an illusion like real boobs."

Oh the irony of 'Keep it real' as a sign-off to that last post. :D

That's awesome! So I can read this while I'm loading up a scene:

"Hating to Love Fake Boobies

Fake Boobies 101: They are an illusion like real boobs."

Oh the irony of 'Keep it real' as a sign-off to that last post. :D

Oh, sweet irony. <_<

Hellz yeah. I hit it hard yesterday. Awesome so far.

I feel tempted. I have a whole lot of ActionScript lodged somewhere in my cerebral cortex, and it would be good to try and convert it into something I could use. My main worry is whether I could achieve anything useful without getting my head round 3D trigonometry (I never really enjoyed 2D trig, and that was over 20 years ago...)

I feel tempted. I have a whole lot of ActionScript lodged somewhere in my cerebral cortex, and it would be good to try and convert it into something I could use. My main worry is whether I could achieve anything useful without getting my head round 3D trigonometry (I never really enjoyed 2D trig, and that was over 20 years ago...)

Well, being a proud high school drop out, I never learned trig the first time. But when learning it on my own for 3D purposes, I didn't find it too bad since the comp is doing the work for you. I just think of different functions in terms of what they buy me. I don't know or care the math involved, but I do know what happens when I pipe time into a sin and how to manipulate phase by adding PI to it and manipulating amplitude and frequency by adding multipliers. Pretty fun in those terms.

If they taught Trig in school by using 3D programs I bet people would give more of a damn of why and how it works.

If they taught Trig in school by using 3D programs I bet people would give more of a damn of why and how it works.

Agree, that would make things more appealing besides that, and kids who might not be excited by maths could see something else in it.

Basilisk, I've been telling myself the same thing. I am sure it'll be a good thing for us to get our heads around Coffee.

I want to create a plugin to create parametric 3D curves ... the Graal for me!

IWP.2.gif

I want to create a plugin to create parametric 3D curves ... the Graal for me!

DI tools has DI Parametric Plus which might do what you want already.

Something that could produce animated parametric surfaces at random (so the user doesn't need to understand the maths) with some sliders to fiddle with would be fun.

DI tools has DI Parametric Plus which might do what you want already.

Something that could produce animated parametric surfaces at random (so the user doesn't need to understand the maths) with some sliders to fiddle with would be fun.

CS_Flux kind of does that, but it only uses a basic SIN function (on 2 layers to create complexity). I think if you took the front part of CS_Flux and created a deeper math formula and piped in more user boxes to control the arguments, you could get there.

Bas, you once asked that I create the 3D spline equivalent of lightning in AE. I never finished it, but I did get noise functions creating procedural splines and animating them. You can do it with Xpresso fairly easily. The hard part was getting layers of branches to connect to each other and have a smooth tangent from it's parent like trees and illustrated fire do.

Here are the 3 tests I was working on. One, I tried to use spiral math I found on the web to create procedural spirals (never quite got there exactly), also a test of attaching one spline to the other, and lastly 2 splines animated with noise that are attached to each other.

Ultimately I was trying to make one tool, that with different settings can create flourishes, lightning, tree/branching stems, etc. Maybe one day <_<

http://sugarfilmproduction.com/CS_Branch.zip

CS_Flux kind of does that, but it only uses a basic SIN function (on 2 layers to create complexity). I think if you took the front part of CS_Flux and created a deeper math formula and piped in more user boxes to control the arguments, you could get there.

Bas, you once asked that I create the 3D spline equivalent of lightning in AE. I never finished it, but I did get noise functions creating procedural splines and animating them. You can do it with Xpresso fairly easily. The hard part was getting layers of branches to connect to each other and have a smooth tangent from it's parent like trees and illustrated fire do.

Here are the 3 tests I was working on. One, I tried to use spiral math I found on the web to create procedural spirals (never quite got there exactly), also a test of attaching one spline to the other, and lastly 2 splines animated with noise that are attached to each other.

Ultimately I was trying to make one tool, that with different settings can create flourishes, lightning, tree/branching stems, etc. Maybe one day <_<

http://sugarfilmproduction.com/CS_Branch.zip

Chris - I finally got R10 installed 10 minutes ago. (though due to postal problems not yet 10.5). Had a quick play with flux - or should we call it Vapor? ;) - and I am liking the idiot proof parametric deformers, though being able to come up with some of the 3D surfaces the old Mac Graphing Calculator (now renamed as the Grapher Utility) would still be fun if there was a way of doing it without understanding the maths!.

The branching experiments are looking very promising. The splines are aligning very nicely to each other, and I like the way the subbranch scales as it moves. I imagine that the advantage of using COFFEE would be that you could iterate through multiple levels of splines without having to have a separate xPresso node for each spline. Your "splineNoise" xPresso is already looking pretty busy.

big thanks for the infinitely useful tools

question - being still only a year into c4d, my render troubleshooting skills are still limited

i love the kino square, but on one project, ive gotten a stippled dotty highlight falloff where light should be falling off in a more smooth manner. is there a samples setting i could be missing that is causing this. i have narrowed it down to the kino square group - as much as i love it.

also - a side ?.. if i have a light nested in a moving object to represent the face plane of that object for AE compositing, and the host object spins, i am only getting the light to import the position. if i am to dial this in, should i look at doing this spinning motion with a camera instead?

again, the cs tools are vital, and making them available is gentlemanly

big thanks for the infinitely useful tools

question - being still only a year into c4d, my render troubleshooting skills are still limited

i love the kino square, but on one project, ive gotten a stippled dotty highlight falloff where light should be falling off in a more smooth manner. is there a samples setting i could be missing that is causing this. i have narrowed it down to the kino square group - as much as i love it.

also - a side ?.. if i have a light nested in a moving object to represent the face plane of that object for AE compositing, and the host object spins, i am only getting the light to import the position. if i am to dial this in, should i look at doing this spinning motion with a camera instead?

again, the cs tools are vital, and making them available is gentlemanly

Glad you like. Are you turning up the "Quality" slider on the KinoSquare? I have it defaulted pretty low. You'll want to crank it up for final render.

Chris - I finally got R10 installed 10 minutes ago. (though due to postal problems not yet 10.5). Had a quick play with flux - or should we call it Vapor? ;) - and I am liking the idiot proof parametric deformers, though being able to come up with some of the 3D surfaces the old Mac Graphing Calculator (now renamed as the Grapher Utility) would still be fun if there was a way of doing it without understanding the maths!.

The branching experiments are looking very promising. The splines are aligning very nicely to each other, and I like the way the subbranch scales as it moves. I imagine that the advantage of using COFFEE would be that you could iterate through multiple levels of splines without having to have a separate xPresso node for each spline. Your "splineNoise" xPresso is already looking pretty busy.

Yeah, with coffee I could create and destroy splines on the fly and still control the new ones whereas with Xpresso only, for the most part ,they have to exist from the get-go. I could use the InstanceMaker node but that only gives you control over PSR whereas I would need a lot more control of the spline point positions.

The Branching tool would be pretty major. It needs to mix a bunch of different things to be as flexible as I want it to be. It will need spiraling options (for flourish type movements), control over smoothness (so you could make lightning with linear kinks), amount of deviation from the root (and how smooth the falloff is so it leaves smoothly before heading out to other angles), amount of branching, the flatness of the branching (for 2D ish or 3D Xfrog type growth), etc. Pretty freaking complex.

After learning coffee, I think I'm going to revisit a lot of the tools and rework them into coded tags.

Yeah, with coffee I could create and destroy splines on the fly and still control the new ones whereas with Xpresso only, for the most part ,they have to exist from the get-go. I could use the InstanceMaker node but that only gives you control over PSR whereas I would need a lot more control of the spline point positions.

I am guessing that COFFEE would execute much quicker as well, which could be an issue, as you could get pretty complex forms as you rack up the branching.

The Branching tool would be pretty major. It needs to mix a bunch of different things to be as flexible as I want it to be. It will need spiraling options (for flourish type movements), control over smoothness (so you could make lightning with linear kinks), amount of deviation from the root (and how smooth the falloff is so it leaves smoothly before heading out to other angles), amount of branching, the flatness of the branching (for 2D ish or 3D Xfrog type growth), etc. Pretty freaking complex.

good to see that you are thinking big. It would be cool to have something with the control of AE Advanced Lightning but possibly a bit more intuitive!

Might be worth looking into fractals - found these fascinating items on Lichtenburg figures and Brownian trees. Don't fully understand the mathematics, but it might be possible to simulate by stepping along a spline and using a random function on a given probability at each vertex that a new smaller branch is generated.

I am guessing that COFFEE would execute much quicker as well, which could be an issue, as you could get pretty complex forms as you rack up the branching.

good to see that you are thinking big. It would be cool to have something with the control of AE Advanced Lightning but possibly a bit more intuitive!

Might be worth looking into fractals - found these fascinating items on Lichtenburg figures and Brownian trees. Don't fully understand the mathematics, but it might be possible to simulate by stepping along a spline and using a random function on a given probability at each vertex that a new smaller branch is generated.

Thanks for the links. I've been reading about them for the past hour or so now (although I got distracted with an article on the effects of lightning on humans). Very fascinating. I think the challenge will be adapting it so it's less complex but faster for C4D purposes. Maybe that's as simple as just limiting the iterations. Another part will also be when to establish a new branch(spline), which may be as simple as defining the right 'if' conditions.

The 'fractal flame' was also very interesting.

can c4d export rotation of reference lights to AE or just their position? right now i am getting only position in AE on a 'reference' light i stuck inside the container null that spins. do i need to do my spins with a camera move instead?

thanks again

can c4d export rotation of reference lights to AE or just their position? right now i am getting only position in AE on a 'reference' light i stuck inside the container null that spins. do i need to do my spins with a camera move instead?

thanks again

As much as I'd love to anwser, I've done very little work with AE exporting. You are baking all the keyframes, yes? They have to be baked before moving over.

You may want to start a new thread on this question and also post at CGtalk.