Sign in to follow this  
C.Smith

CSTools: Free C4D Goodies

thx. i was meaning just going from c4d to Ae. using the lights as position ref. points. the light comes in and the position animates, but the rotation doesnt translate.

try using a C4D null, or other object instead of a light - you will need to put an external compositing tag on it to export it (c4d 9.6+ and AE7+)

Light export was a work-around from earlier versions of C4D

Thanks for the links. I've been reading about them for the past hour or so now (although I got distracted with an article on the effects of lightning on humans). Very fascinating. I think the challenge will be adapting it so it's less complex but faster for C4D purposes. Maybe that's as simple as just limiting the iterations. Another part will also be when to establish a new branch(spline), which may be as simple as defining the right 'if' conditions.

The 'fractal flame' was also very interesting.

The lightning flower burns on skin are fascinating. Apparently if you produce these patterns in an insulating material, the branching continues down to the molecular level. I guess that might be overkill in a 3D application.

The lightning flower burns on skin are fascinating. Apparently if you produce these patterns in an insulating material, the branching continues down to the molecular level. I guess that might be overkill in a 3D application.

Ah, yes. The Lichtenberg figure. I bet that stinks when in flesh. I was reading about it's algorhythm. As much as I want a formula to create magic for me, I'm getting the feeling that it will be a more simple solution with noise/randomness mixed with golden ratio distribution of branches and scales.

So i tried posting this to Chris' site but i don't think it worked, is it possible to use more than 2 cameras with easy cam? So in theory i could have, say four camera's all doing simple movements, and the main camera would chain between them? Or is their a quick way to line up a second Easy cam set to the back of the first, since their is no key frames i cant post the setting over, hope im being clear...im in c4d 10.1, thanks

So i tried posting this to Chris' site but i don't think it worked, is it possible to use more than 2 cameras with easy cam? So in theory i could have, say four camera's all doing simple movements, and the main camera would chain between them? Or is their a quick way to line up a second Easy cam set to the back of the first, since their is no key frames i cant post the setting over, hope im being clear...im in c4d 10.1, thanks

Isn't that what Mocam is for? (make sure you have an up-to-date version of CS tools)

Isn't that what Mocam is for? (make sure you have an up-to-date version of CS tools)

Correct. Rusty, when/if you download the current set, check the 'Examples' folder to see Mocam used along with the other motion nulls to see what it does. Just note that in the example I think I only used 3 of the Waypoints, but you can use up to 8.

ok thanks, i'll check it out, i have mocam in the current package that i have downloaded i just haven't experimented with it yet, thanks for the help, and the toys

peace

on a side note is the current set 10.5 or 10.1? im still working on getting our update

on a side note is the current set 10.5 or 10.1? im still working on getting our update

They were done in 10.1. But AFAIK they should work in 10.5 just fine.

12/03/07 NEW TOOL: CS_SPRITICLES

Download Here

From the docs:

What's new 12/03/07:

- CS_Spriticles: Sprite based particle tool.

- Added 2 examples of Spritcle settings in the 'Examples' folder

24. CS_Spriticles (Needs Thinking Particles installed)

What is it: It's basically a greatest hits of TP nodes blended in one simple tool particle sprite tool. It also auto detects the active camera for the sprites to always look at. I often want to use sprite particle systems but was always too lazy to build what I needed so I made this for an easy to grab and use tool.

General directions: You'll see I put a temporary circle material on it. Just replace that with the material of your choice then dial in the user sliders to get the result you want. For the 'Copy Motion' part of the user sliders, the tool itself (master null) should be in motion or the particles will have no motion to copy.

Props: HUGE thanks once again to Lennart(TCA Studios). He helped me with the Coffee code to auto-detect the active camera so the user wouldn't have to keep dropping the camera of choice into a linkbox. Also thanks to PerAnders, Srek, and JoelD, for unknowingly helping me by posting in old CGTalk threads about particles. Thanks to The Monkey for his 10 minute beta test.

Sliders:

Particle Group: This defaults to 'ALL'. But if you want separate groups in your scene then check the C4D docs on creating new particle groups. Then drop them in this box for individual control over multiple groups.

Birth Rate: How often particles are created

Emit Radius: This expands a circle in which particles emit from.

Spread: How much the particles spread out from the origin.

Speed: Speed at which particles travel away from the emitter

Speed variation: Self explanatory

Scale: Master scale

Scale over life (Grad bar): This defaults to zero->max->zero for a smooth growth and decay. But mess with it for interesting results. At minimum you can drag the white point back and forth to bias where the particles hit their growth peak.

Rotation: Since the particles always look at the cam this is just a pos and neg slider for Clockwise or counter clockwise rate.

Rotate from Velocity(Checkbox): When unchecked the particles have a constant rotation. When checked the speed of rotation is multiplied by the velocity. So the faster the particel, the faster it spins.

Gravity: Negative to make them lighter than air, positive to make them heavier than air.

Turbulence: The amplitude of the turbulence

Turbulent Freq: The complexity of the turbulence.

Copy Amount: Once again, the master null needs to be in motion to see any effect. This is how much the particles copy the master null's motion.

Copy Variation: How much the particles vary in the amount of motion copy

Direction Var: This will make some particles find new directions. So they copy the motion but in new paths.

C. Your awesome, I wish I knew what I was doing in Cinema enough to use this...lol focusing on getting a good base of AE before I really go crazy with Cinema, but I will keep downloading the updated version of CinemaTools, just so I can have the last version before you realize your being extremely jealous and start selling it! lol...thanks again, cant wait to use these things!

There have been a few Sprite-ly expressions available over the years (and I have definitely made my share from scratch), but this one in definitely making it into the top of my TP toolbox. Chris selected an effective set of core parameters and found a really good balance between power and simplicity. Great job (as usual).

I'm not entirely sure a beer or dinner is going to be thanks enough.

You should probably start an Amazon gift list, man. ;)

-m

EDIT: Also, I find it terribly ironic that keep building all these tools because "you're lazy".

Edited by the_Monkey

I'm not entirely sure a beer or dinner is going to be thanks enough.

You should probably start an Amazon gift list, man. ;)

Thx, homie. I'll hit you up when in NYC.

Not being that great with cinema, and not really getting a chance to try out CStools I would be really interested to see some examples of things done with the various tools. If you guys have small clips, or even still shots. Id really appreciate it. Just curious. :)

Edited by xdozex

Not being that great with cinema, and not really getting a chance to try out CStools I would be really interested to see some examples of things done with the various tools. If you guys have small clips, or even still shots. Id really appreciate it. Just curious. :)

Well there's the Examples folder that comes with it. But I only have 3 examples as of yet. Oddly enough I get PM's and emails all the time of people saying CSTools are main part of their workflow but I haven't really seen final results from them.

Except Basilisk which did a really nice Virgin Mobile graphics piece that used CS_3DStroke as the main element throughout the spot.

HERE is an older offline cut of a Car spot I've been working on. Every camera move is using CSTools.

EDIT:

Oh and here is an animatic I did a couple of years ago that I created my first tools for (CSVibrate, CSDaylight, CSFog, and a few other smaller things that eventually became CS_EZCam).

And YES, that is my voice doing the cheesy VO on it ;)

Edited by C.Smith

C.

Thanks sooooo much! Those two videos are awesome! I would love to see the finished version of that first link, to the Acura commercial...the camera moves look great.

And I was wondering if that second spot with your VO was ever finished and aired, I am almost positive I have seen it before on TV.

Great stuff man, I would love to see what other people have done with it!

C.

Thanks sooooo much! Those two videos are awesome! I would love to see the finished version of that first link, to the Acura commercial...the camera moves look great.

And I was wondering if that second spot with your VO was ever finished and aired, I am almost positive I have seen it before on TV.

Great stuff man, I would love to see what other people have done with it!

I'll post the final Acura spot whenever I'm done with it in a hundred years ;)

Normally I do animatics after a job is already awarded and I make it to figure out my cam moves and to share with the agency to demonstrate my intentions. However that one was to help some creatives pitch the idea to their agency bosses. However it was never made and was killed. Too bad, it was a great idea.

Here is Basilisk's Virgin Mobile Launch add. The glowy line that flows through the whole thing was CS_3DStroke (if I remember what Basilisk told me correctly).

Chris, did you use Drive! to animate your car?

Yeah, on the Acura. The Ford is just going straight ahead with CS_VibrateNull making it look like it's driving rough.

Here is Basilisk's Virgin Mobile Launch add. The glowy line that flows through the whole thing was CS_3DStroke (if I remember what Basilisk told me correctly).

My Mac has been dead for a few days (first time since my power supply on my Quadra 840 AV blew about 12 years ago) so I have missed this thread.

Thanks for posting the link Chris - you are correct about the glowy line, though, if I remember correctly the bit at the very end with the crowd and the logo may have been entirely AE/3d Stroke - it was certainly a life saver in that instance, as I think you produced it just in time for me to use it on the job.

Love Spriticles (not tempted to call it Spriticular?). It will cover a lot of simple particle situations. Should it work with the other TP preset effectors in the content browser? (I did a quick test, and it seems OK)

My only feature request would be some way of affecting opacity and maybe colour of particles over their life (like particular), but I have a suspicion that this may not be easy or even possible...

My Mac has been dead for a few days (first time since my power supply on my Quadra 840 AV blew about 12 years ago) so I have missed this thread.

Thanks for posting the link Chris - you are correct about the glowy line, though, if I remember correctly the bit at the very end with the crowd and the logo may have been entirely AE/3d Stroke - it was certainly a life saver in that instance, as I think you produced it just in time for me to use it on the job.

Love Spriticles (not tempted to call it Spriticular?). It will cover a lot of simple particle situations. Should it work with the other TP preset effectors in the content browser? (I did a quick test, and it seems OK)

My only feature request would be some way of affecting opacity and maybe colour of particles over their life (like particular), but I have a suspicion that this may not be easy or even possible...

It should work totally fine with the other particle presets. However you would probably want to create new particle groups for each or they will inherent each other's settings and not work individually.

I thought about doing a colorize thing for the Sprites since my goal was to eventually make the Particular of C4D. But since I almost exclusively use Vray for all rendering, doing effects that would involve controlling C4D AR materials seemed counter productive for me. I may do it as a hobby this hoilday when I'm bored senseless for the peeps though. But don't hold your breath ;)

As far as opacity, it seems there is no easy way to do it which was what has kept me from making them for so long. But then after playing with scale over life, that worked for me well enough to smooth particles into and out of life enough for the whole thing to work. Really scaling up is more accurate in many cases anyways as smoke, gas, etc tends to expand as it ages.

But if you know of a way to control the alpha of a TP particle object per particle, I'm all ears ;)