Sign in to follow this  
C.Smith

CSTools: Free C4D Goodies

As far as opacity, it seems there is no easy way to do it which was what has kept me from making them for so long. But then after playing with scale over life, that worked for me well enough to smooth particles into and out of life enough for the whole thing to work. Really scaling up is more accurate in many cases anyways as smoke, gas, etc tends to expand as it ages.

expansion is good, but as it expands it disperses and therefore fades...

But if you know of a way to control the alpha of a TP particle object per particle, I'm all ears ;)

I am surprised to find that it works, but if you put a display tag on the polygon, and then animate the visibility parameter, then the visibility of each particle is offset to the birth frame of the particle. How easy would it be to drive the display tag with a gradient?

Maybe if you are really at a loose end you could have the option to control the visibility depending on the distance from the camera - again with a nice gradient.

Edited by basilisk

expansion is good, but as it expands it disperses and therefore fades...

I am surprised to find that it works, but if you put a display tag on the polygon, and then animate the visibility parameter, then the visibility of each particle is offset to the birth frame of the particle. How easy would it be to drive the display tag with a gradient?

ah yes, yes. I saw that being done once. But dismissed it because I couldn't wrap my head around why it was basing it on the age. If it does , awesome. But that method turned me off because it didn't make sense. I saw someone doing that but with animating between materials in the material tag. I was all like, "Wah?". :)

As far as tying it into a gradient, I'll be playing with that. I hope this black voodoo magic workaround doesn't require keyframes for it to work.

Love Spriticles (not tempted to call it Spriticular?).

Well, since I have the maturity of a 12 year old it's temporary name during testing was....yes....."TESTicles".

Seemed like a natural name.

hmm. well, you're right in that it does change the visibility per age, but Visibilty is only working like Boolean for me. Anything that isn't zero == 100% visible. Are you doing somethig to get fading?

Cause even if you pipe a grad into there, once the color is anything but pure black it will just pop on 100%

But that method turned me off because it didn't make sense.

HA! I had that exact same reaction!

It COMPLETELY steps outside of the standard workflow for C4D so I just decided not to use it. I believe Srek posted an example here. The problem for me was that I found the method didn't follow it's own rules. In theory, shouldn't you be able animate between material tags by going from Transparent -> Opaque -> Transparent? It doesn't work. The feature feels really tacked on.

Secondly, that Display Tag really needs to be fixed. Base80 mentioned it a long time ago and he was dead right... a parameter that changes the Visibility of an object that actually shows up in a final render belongs in a Compositing Tag NOT a Display Tag. That whole configuration is just so damn clumsy that I find myself not using it for fear creating more problems in heavy projects.

-m

hmm. well, you're right in that it does change the visibility per age, but Visibilty is only working like Boolean for me.

You have to set the key to Linear from Step. Those are sadly the only two options on Material Tag Tracks.

-m

I agree this would be better handled in the compositing tag - the display tag should just stick to.. er... display. Maybe this is a legacy thing, and it was stuck in the display tag before someone invented the compositing tag?

In the viewport, display-tag visibility is poorly handled, showing either 0 or 100 (at least with my limited GL capabilities), but it usually seems to render OK.

Maybe something Maxon could fix in V11?

Edited by basilisk

Well the problem was a short between the headphones. Yeah, I just realized it rendered out correctly but the OpenGL display shows it as 2-state only. Retarded. What a huge kludge.

It's a kludge, but probably the only kludge. Not sure how you could do colour though.

I've seen color being done by animating the material selection in the material tag. But once again, very weird how that works.

Hey Chris, I just got a chance to play around with CS Tools and I'm loving it! From what I understand they look great. I wish I knew more about cinema to be able to grasp it all. But I was wondering if there was anyway to make a seamless loop using CS Flux, and any settings.

I like it a lot but I am having trouble getting an effect to look good over time, I can make a still frame perfect, but when I want to animate it, it ends up looking like crap hehe.

Second question, is there a way to make the CS_Linegrow so that after the animation finishes, the back of the line follows the front and leaves the field of view, similar to 3d stroke in AE.

Hey Chris, I just got a chance to play around with CS Tools and I'm loving it! From what I understand they look great. I wish I knew more about cinema to be able to grasp it all. But I was wondering if there was anyway to make a seamless loop using CS Flux, and any settings.

I like it a lot but I am having trouble getting an effect to look good over time, I can make a still frame perfect, but when I want to animate it, it ends up looking like crap hehe.

Second question, is there a way to make the CS_Linegrow so that after the animation finishes, the back of the line follows the front and leaves the field of view, similar to 3d stroke in AE.

Glad you're getting into them.

Flux: Non really designed for a seamless loop as far as when the project cycles over again. Since it's all based on Sine waves, they make their own loops, so the idea is to just to set a speed that carries you through the whole render span. However if you're making this for a looped video to be used elsewhere, then you may have trouble with it. You probably CAN make seamless loops if you break the UI connections in the node tree and type in exact numbers into the formula parameters. Or you could try futzing with the percent values on the UI boxes but I doubt you'll get the perfect number for a completely seamless loop.

As far as not getting good results in animation, dunno what to tell you ;) I played with it a bit when making it and seemed happy with it. You may want experiment with the camera's angle to it since it's all shaded based on fresnel shaders so the angle of the cam has everything to do with how it looks.

LineGrow. You want it to offset all the way on and off like CS_3DStroke and Trapcode's AE stroke do. It wasn't made to do that since it has a tip on it. Obviosly you can use the CS_3DStroke if you don't need a head on it. Also remember that even though it defaults to a circle for the profile, there is nothing that keeps you from changing the profile shape. Although you will have to break and reconnect a few node connections. If anyone has interest I can add a dropbox for profile shape in an alternate version.

The other thing you can do is fake like it's leaving with few keys. If you keyframe the 'length' parameter in linegrow and the tip on/off parameter just right it would seem like it's doing the same thing as the 'offset' in 3Dstroke.

C,

I'm officially loving this thing...just makin simple stuff, and adding some CS Tools to see how things turn out. I really like CS_Amb_Light, its simple yet, looks great when rendered.

I know theres a few out there, but I dont really like any that I have found, but if you got a free minute, on the next update would you be able to throw a white room in there? You know, nice lighting set up with a sky/floor, or a dome or something that, when rendered gives a great white background? I am trying to render with that clay feel, like the look before the materials/textures/shaders are added. And that would just enhance the scene. I made my own last night, and will continue to use it, unless you decide to add it in there. The one I made is horrible, but it gets the job done for the moment. lol.

Thanks again for this contribution, its great!

Hi there,

First of all, thank you very much for these free Tools, they really changed some of my workflow.

I Try to use Spriticles with multishape. I'm currently learning TP too. I played with the multishape preset and spricticle, but I can't find a way too have more than 4 different objects emitted. In fact, I do not know if I have to copy/paste the multishape's expresso into the spricticle's one or if they can be one separate expression. I looked for help on some forum, but every result I found about multishape emitter is just talking about the one we can find in the object manager TP preset. Can somebody HELP ME Please. I am really lost with this.

Chris, believe me, but i looked into the C4D docs on creating new particle group, but I don't know how to "transpose" it with spricticle.

Here a file of my mess

<a href="http://motionlab.free.fr/spriticles/Multishape_troubleshoot.zip" target="_blank">

Mulishape

</a>

Edited by Ødb

Not really sure what you mean by the multipshape thing. But any particle groups that live in the same scene need to have their own particle group or all particles in the scene will be effected by each other's nodes.

When you start a scene there is one particle group by default called 'ALL'. To create more groups:

Go to:

Objects>Thinking Particles>Thinking Particles Settings

right(cmd)-click on the ALL group and select 'add'. Then name the new group. Create a group for each set of particles you have and drag each respective group into the 'Particle Group' link box in Spriticles or most other particle systems.

Note that the hierarchy of the particle groups underneath 'ALL' determines how they share data. If you want them all totally separate don't nest them. Make them all root level.

In the C4D Help docs that you access from C4D itself the instructions are under Modules>Thinking Particles>Settings.

Chris,

Thanks for your answer and your help.

By Multishape, I meant having differents shaders on particles. So I tried using differents polygons with differents shaders. I going to try again with the particle group, but I already tried with but I didn’t find how to transpose it with spriticle. I don’t understand how :

group.1 is assigned to polygon.1 & shader.1

group.2 is assigned to polygon.2 & shader.2

Is it in the expresso editor, or in the AM ?

I know this is really a newbie question.

Anyway, thanks for your support.

Edited by Ødb

What do you mean by 'transpose'?

If you're looking for all the custom functions, they are in the AM under 'USER'. All the CSTools have their controls there.

By Multishape, I meant having differents shaders on particles.

Ah. Okay, I looked at your file. You want it to do what the C4D built in particle emitter does where you nest a few different objects and it randomly picks them to emit. Spriticles wasn't built to do that. I was actually thinking of doing a version that allowed multiple sprites to be emitted from one emitter. So if you work with it like the C4D basic particles it won't react the same. Although it looks like you did something to get some variation.

Edited by C.Smith

Chris,

Yes, this exactly what you said. Or maybe 1 sprite poly with differents shaders assigned. So, in first, I tought the easiest way would be to use mograph’s multishader. But I had no success with (maybe it doesn't work with TP. I don't know about that). Then I tried with a mix of the multishape TP preset and a spriticle object (this is a trial and error test). The only result I had was only 4 differents sprites emitted but I'd like to have more than that (or understand why only 4).

I think I understand pGroup and what they are for effector (how they interact with them or not). But I’m really lost about pGroup concerning how different particles are emitted from one emitter.

I'm coming from maya and this kind of stuff is easy because basically you only have to load an image sequence into a shader and write a random expression into the sprite. Maybe it's possible in C4D but for now I don't know how ?

Thanks a lot for your help and sorry about "transpose". I meant to adapt, to fit with spriticle.

Edited by Ødb

Chris,

Yes, this exactly what you said. Or maybe 1 sprite poly with differents shaders assigned. So, in first, I tought the easiest way would be to use mograph’s multishader. But I had no success with (maybe it doesn't work with TP. I don't know about that). Then I tried with a mix of the multishape TP preset and a spriticle object (this is a trial and error test). The only result I had was only 4 differents sprites emitted but I'd like to have more than that (or understand why only 4).

I think I understand pGroup and what they are for effector (how they interact with them or not). But I’m really lost about pGroup concerning how different particles are emitted from one emitter.

I'm coming from maya and this kind of stuff is easy because basically you only have to load an image sequence into a shader and write a random expression into the sprite. Maybe it's possible in C4D but for now I don't know how ?

Thanks a lot for your help and sorry about "transpose". I meant to adapt, to fit with spriticle.

Yeah, Transpose is English. I had just never heard it used it in the context you meant. No worries ;) Adapt fits much better.

I too came from Maya and do miss the direct control you had with it. Especially that you had a start expression and a runtime expression. You can still do that with TP in C4D as long as you add a bit of coffee code that says something like 'If frame == 0 then Expression'. But the Maya way was better thought out.

AFAIK, to get multiple objects or multiple shaders with TP it needs to be specifically wired that way. I don't believe it's like the Basic Particles where it's programmed to randomly emit the objects nested under the emitter.

Hi,

I tried again with a combination of the multishape emitter preset and it finally works. Here a really simple scene file.

<a href="http://motionlab.free.fr/spriticles/CS_Spriticles_Multisprite.zip" target="_blank">

Multisprites

</a>

Yeah. If I ever do a multi-shape version it will be something similar except will probably have 8 link boxes so the user just drops in up to 8 objects. Then it will be rndmly cycled between however many were dropped in. Plus I need to work on that Opacity thing. DAMN YOU MAXON AND YOUR OPENGL DISPLAY TAG WEIRDNESS!!! ECHO Echo echo.

Yeah. If I ever do a multi-shape version it will be something similar except will probably have 8 link boxes so the user just drops in up to 8 objects. Then it will be rndmly cycled between however many were dropped in. Plus I need to work on that Opacity thing. DAMN YOU MAXON AND YOUR OPENGL DISPLAY TAG WEIRDNESS!!! ECHO Echo echo.

Here I did a quick mod to show how I would do it:

http://sugarfilmproduction.com/SpriticlesMod.zip

The link boxes are for materials and not objects since this is meant to be sprite only. I did a quick test with 4. Eventually you can max out at 8 and it will auto detect how many materials you dropped in.