Sign in to follow this  
lemar

how kitsch can Lynda possibly be?

geez,

who d want spend time of his life, watching 15 minutes of tutorials, to produce effects like untitled6xe5.gif

found these effects when a friend of mine who bought a bundle, named Integration of After Effects and Photoshop CS bundle.

Just how much does absence of taste weigh?

Edited by lemar

geez,

who d want spend time of his life, watching 15 minutes of tutorials, to produce effects like untitled6xe5.gif

found these effects when a friend of mine who bought a bundle, named Integration of After Effects and Photoshop CS bundle.

Just how much does absence of taste weigh?

Damn, I was wondering where to find the embossed leaf tutorials! I'm telling you that drop shadowed embossing is the next hot thing. I heard even Photoshop has them 'hidden' in their layer effects like an Easter Egg <_<

Guest Sao_Bento

The only time I can remember a training resource with design that wasn't laughable was the Adobe After Effects 5 Classroom in a book - Belief shot the footage and wrote the book.

I know the publishers of these kinds of things will argue that the content shouldn't distract from what you're trying to teach, but I think it's gone too far the other way. Having decent visuals would make many of these books much more tolerable. I think part of the popularity of Ayato's stuff is that the style frames actually look like a real world piece, rather than things you'd find pinned to the wall of a kindergarten classroom (plus they're free).

The only time I can remember a training resource with design that wasn't laughable was the Adobe After Effects 5 Classroom in a book - Belief shot the footage and wrote the book.

I know the publishers of these kinds of things will argue that the content shouldn't distract from what you're trying to teach, but I think it's gone too far the other way. Having decent visuals would make many of these books much more tolerable. I think part of the popularity of Ayato's stuff is that the style frames actually look like a real world piece, rather than things you'd find pinned to the wall of a kindergarten classroom (plus they're free).

The After Effects & Photoshop in Production book has some decent examples throughout...with a project by Belief I believe ;)

I agree. I have worked myself trough a fair share of tutorial books and while it's true that the methods that are taught are what's important, it's often hard to grasp the real world relevance of the techniques when all you're creating looks like crap. It definitely doesn't help my enjoyment working trough said books either. I'd rather see concepts explained in the context of (what could pass for) a real-world project.

I noticed the same thing when I was attending adobe's Live event in amsterdam a couple weeks ago. They are trying to showcase their latest and greatest design tools, but the examples they use to demonstrate the new features are the most god-awful looking pieces of garbage you've ever seen. Why?! How is that gonna make me excited about your new products Adobe?!

Edited by snakedogman

Guest Sao_Bento
I agree. I have worked myself trough a fair share of tutorial books and while it's true that the methods that are taught are what's important, it's often hard to grasp the real world relevance of the techniques when all you're creating looks like crap. It definitely doesn't help my enjoyment working trough said books either. I'd rather see concepts explained in the context of (what could pass for) a real-world project.

I noticed the same thing when I was attending adobe's Live event in amsterdam a couple weeks ago. They are trying to showcase their latest and greatest design tools, but the examples they use to demonstrate the new features are the most god-awful looking pieces of garbage you've ever seen. Why?! How is that gonna make me excited about your new products Adobe?!

Was that the stuff created by UVPH - the stuff they use in promoting CS3?

http://www.uvphactory.com/pop.php?id=0634&MovieNum=01

I was kind of surprised to find out who did it, it seems pretty lame compared to their usual work.

don't you people know that the people who are training you are doing this on purpose? It's a conspiracy of tutorial masters...they want you to suck so bad that you are not competition for them in the workforce.

the dirty bastards! :blink:

Edited by Firebetty

It's sloppy preparation on the part of the content writer. They are focused on the concepts that need to be covered, but not focused on an engaging way to present them. It's a very easy mistake to make... as they are two completely different tasks.

That's the distinction between a good teacher and a GREAT teacher. My favorite teacher from high school was my physics teacher. He made me excited about the topic, and made me get results that I was geeked about. Sure, many people can explain Coloumbic barriers, mass defect and the theory of relativity, but how many of them would a HS student want to listen too? Content is one challenge of teaching, but delivery is half the battle, as well.

Was that the stuff created by UVPH - the stuff they use in promoting CS3?

http://www.uvphactory.com/pop.php?id=0634&MovieNum=01

I was kind of surprised to find out who did it, it seems pretty lame compared to their usual work.

yeah I think that was it, although on that link the movie seems even pretty decent, but the various incarnations of the design as I saw it on the show seemed worse.