Sign in to follow this  
Guest parallax

Just venting..

Guest parallax

Man, i just had an interview at an inherently cool company. I have absolutely NO idea how i did.

Ugh. Switching between Dutch and English constantly..Only reminding me i have to brush up my English speaking skills. :shock:

well, that's all.

Just had to get that off my mind.

laters.

Guest SermonOfMockery

well, your written english is perfect, for whatever that's worth. best of luck on the interview!

Guest nama rupa
well, your written english is perfect, for whatever that's worth. best of luck on the interview!

ditto. I was thinking the same thing. best of luck to ya

Guest igorschmigor

They switched between dutch and english? Why is that? Is it an english company based in Holland? Or do they just think it's hip to speak english? Or did they have no idea if you understood them if they spoke dutch, thinking you might be from abroad?

Just curious.

Guest davidheijl

ah, here in belgium this language switching thing is a real pest in job interviews. in most positions you're supposed to at least speak dutch, english and french...

dutch is my mother tongue, but many customers speak french and/or english... or german or spanish... ugh!

i recently had a meeting in which things got even more complicated: everybody spoke his own language (dutch, english, french and german present) - man did i have a headache afterwards!

Guest silatix

jezus.. europe sounds like a mess/headache, and i thought the u.s. was a melting pot.. growing up we were all told that knowing spanish was going to be a necessity in the future.. thus far though i havent needed it, good thing i dropped it in 10th grade..

of course philadelphia has a problem with immigration.. nobody wants to come here, its lost people consecutively each year for 50 years. guh

Guest james

yeah europeans are frickin amazing with the language thing. i met a danish guy who told me if you speak 3 or more languages your multilingual, 2 languages your bilingual and 1 language your english.

kinda sums up the english attitude to it all. :D

come on then europeans come clean, how many languages can you have a conversation in?

I've lived in europe for 18 months and I can speak 1 language, but I know how to say train station in about 5. :lol:

Guest davidheijl

well personally, i can hold my own in dutch, french, english and basic swedish. oh and i can order a beer and such in spanish as well :-)

i don't speak any german which is actually a little unusual here in belgium (half the country is dutch-speaking, the other half speaks french, and then there's a tiny region near the german border where they speak german)

Guest parallax

I had the interview with 2 Dutch guys and an English producer, so like me, they were also constantly switching between the 2 languages. :?

AND i was ill-prepared. (freakin' deadlines..)

Anyway, my English speaking skills are a bit rusty. While my German is simpy appalling. :)

In French, i can hardly ask for directions.

I can count to 10 in 7 different languages though :P

Guest SermonOfMockery

i can speak spanish and of course english. i'd like to learn portuguese too. i can read it (because written it's very similar to spanish), but spoken it's very very different.

Guest majk

Well, being Swedish I got to study alot of languages in school, but as that was about 10years ago, I'd say that I'm fluent only in Swedish and English - but I can make myself understood in more social terms in French, German and Spanish. At the moment, I'm on holiday in France and they seem to understand me quite well. So if I spent some time in Germany/Spain - I'm sure it'd come back to me properly...

But also, we had a conversation about his at work the other week, and in my office there's 19people. and we realised that we have people fluent in English, Swedish, Spanish, French, German, Italian, Dutch, Afrikaan, Chinese (Mandarin) and Japaneese. And we thought that was pretty awesome... :)

Only 4 of these people are 1-language-only peeps, and yup. They're all english. :)

Guest nama rupa

how many langauges are you taught while in school in europe?

Personally I am a typical USA peep who only speaks english. I studied spanish for several years and lost almost all of it after college. I regret that but hope to relearn it via traveling :)

Guest pokeitwithastick

I have to hang my head in shame...

I have lived in europe for 32 years and i can only speak english... and even then only after a fashion.

I had any desire to learn languages thrashed out of me at school as i tried to learn within an atrocious language syllabus (I know some Latin. Which has been ever so usefull. especially when I wanted to become a legionary). Also it didn't help that my dyslexia wasn't recognized until i was 22 :( .

Actually fuggit, no excuses, us Brits are lazy bar-stewards in general.

Allow me to apologize to our European neighbours on behalf of my entire nation.

PS good luck in the Interview parallax...

Guest majk
how many langauges are you taught while in school in europe?

Depends on what country/education. But I studied German for 3 years grade 7-9, then I studied Spanish and French grade 10-12. And of course English from grade 4-12...

But that's in a Swedish school - 9 years compuslary and 3 years Social Studies with International Politics as a Major, i know - "How did you end up a designer?" :)

// Majk.

Guest silatix

i also had learned hebrew till i was 13.. id say maybe that would take me out of the lazy american category but i forgot almost all of it so meh. 2 languages down, 1 to go

Guest igorschmigor

I guess the average european is taught 2 extra languages at school. In germany you always learn english at school and then have to chose another one which usually it's either spanish, french or latin.

Me, i grew up with 3 languages at home: mother french, father english, grew up in germany. We kept switching languages during the sentences even when speaking amongst us at home. So i had it pretty easy at school with languages.

Guest parallax

In HAVO, wich is secondary education in the netherlands, (you've got 4 levels, starting with VMBO, then MAVO, HAVO, and finally VWO) you get courses in English, French and German. (next to Dutch of course)

VWO is divided in "atheneum" and "gymnasium" in Gymnasium you also get Greek and Latin.

Guest parallax

:shock:

Damn. turned me down. They were looking for people with more experience in print, wich i don't have.

Guest scottgordon

SILATIX - does this sound familiar?

Barchu et adonai hamvorah

baruch adonai hamvorah leolam vaed

Guest govinda
Me, i grew up with 3 languages at home: mother french, father english, grew up in germany.

I've been wondering about that rich pot of stew that is Pascal Collins, but it never felt right to ask...

Guest silatix
SILATIX - does this sound familiar?

Barchu et adonai hamvorah

baruch adonai hamvorah leolam vaed

do bees bzzz?