Sign in to follow this  
bart

How many fast turnarounds to you get a week?

Fast turnaround and hi quality expected on design and animation I'm just curious what everyone else is doing. I'm on my 3rd this week, my eyes are going and I'm about to bolt. Am I too weak for this industry?

Edited by bart

Guest Sao_Bento
Fast turnaround and hi quality expected on design and animation I'm just curious what everyone else is doing. I'm on my 3rd this week, my eyes are going and I'm about to bolt. Am I too weak for this industry?

If you're not working in news, you're getting pwned.

My thoughts were the same... this is typical for news: a constant meat grinder of mediocre work that gets further crapped on by editors with added lens flares and Arial type overlays.

3 a week would require a premium rate, IMO.

Welcome to the wonderful world of video. Our company puts out two half hour shows weekly. Plus our agency work. Which usually consists of 3-5 :30sec spots and a couple 3min web video's. Mix that with two editors, one shooter, and a prick for a boss, and you get a case of pepto, and a lot of long hours... Auhh the price of glory, LOL. Stick in there man. Find a good place that respects you and your time and hunker down, their out there, somewhere. Best of luck.

peace

mofx

You have to manage the situation. One way to manage it, as mentioned, is to not take the work. Another is to do it on your own terms. Tell them flat out that if they're going to beat you up like that, it's going to cost them more, and/ or you will need more lead time.

I've had a client for most of my career who has a constant need for fairly quick turnaround stuff. I have thought many times about firing them since they can be a pain in the ass, and even when the project has been delivered, they expect that if they call you in a couple days with a fix that you will turn it around immediately. I struggled a bit with this since these guys have stayed with me so long and have been a solid client through some rough patches. What I came up with is a streamlined system for their work. Most of what they do is promotion of cartoon and kids' programs being released on DVD (you know, those annoying spots you can't skip at the front of a DVD.) I figured out that their client (mega media conglomerate) always liked it when the graphics looked like they were part of the cartoons. So, I proposed that we basically take the same approach to all of their projects. If it's a Flintstones video, I put Flinstones looking graphics into shots from The Flinstones, as if they were part of the original show. Same for the other shows/ movies. Basically, it was like a rough style guide for most of this clients' projects. This approach allows me to turn the stuff around quickly without going through the usual design from scratch/ approval phase, and it's a look that always gets approved since it's visually tied in with the products. I charge my full rate for the work, but since the system is so streamlined they save money vs. doing each project from the ground up.

Now, I'm not interested in any more clients like this, as I'll be the first to admit that this isn't the most wholesome and satisfying form of design, but it was a way for me to keep a long time client happy and maintain a steady revenue stream without blowing my brains out. As a colleague of mine once said: Some for the meal, some for the reel. ;)

3 is a bit much, but where I work (small production agency in amsterdam) it's not uncommon to have 2 turnarounds in a week, sometimes it might be 3. It's mostly low-key tv promo's so even though I try to deliver high quality, it's obviously going to be limited by the time contraints.

I guess it depends on what you mean by "high quality" exactly. :)

okay I admit it, I used a lensflare AND Shine in one spot today! :lol:

Or retail TV. For us 2 :30 sec promo/week is normal routine. we often go to 3 coupled with last minute calls like... "the script that we approved last week, the VP of Blah blah, does not like after he saw the final promo, we need to scrap everything and start over and get the promo on air in 3 Hrs. ".

Our solution has been pre-made transitions, Knoll flares and 'reflections on the floor'. :lol:

Edited by yamirb

Yeah, I've worked local news and it wasn't that bad because the standards were low. the down side is that it took a year to get my reel back in shape to work again. This place has very high standards long hours and a lot of week-end work with no extra pay for the OT. Plus if you work a week-end and then miss a day of work because of fatigue, they dock your pay. I'm out of here.

You can't rush good work. It might bring in a paycheck, but it's usually not good for the reel.
Edited by bart

Yeah, I've worked local news and it wasn't that bad because the standards were low. the down side is that it took a year to get my reel back in shape to work again. This place has very high standards long hours and a lot of week-end work with no extra pay for the OT. Plus if you work a week-end and then miss a day of work because of fatigue, they dock your pay. I'm out of here.

also, try leaving job listings open on your screen a lot. then take joy in their pathetic unauthentic newfound "empathy" regarding your hours and a 9000% increase in compliments on how great your work is. my fav is when (and this always seems to happen) the worst, most worstest, most worker exploitationist, douchiest producer/boss/etc goes out of their way to all of a sudden say something like "You know, you've been working way too many long days, you need to take it easy!-- i'm gonna make sure we get this new project pared down so you can get out of here early today!" paired with a really plasticy "i'm concerned" facial expression. or if it's a good-looking female producer, you'll start getting way more of those "producer arm touches".

then you quit anyway. but those last few weeks of making an evil boss squirm is always fun.

Edited by jaan

Guest Sao_Bento

Don't forget to pre-burn some bridges so you can stop worrying about what you're going to do. I find a heated email to an executive works wonders.

ugh,

My last job was kind of like that. But maybe it was just me...the guy before me made it 5 yrs...I made it 8 months.....

...now I do print for a living and "pick and choose" the mograph

Edited by mamurphy