Sign in to follow this  
Guest laughingcolors

Interviewing

Guest laughingcolors

So not many people have talked about this on this board, yet i think its pretty important in the hiring process-- anyone have any stories they wanna tell or advice?

Guest finegrit

No. But they have to match...

I've always found interviews sort of boring. Most places have already decided whether they are going to hire you before an interview (I'm talking about freelance here, not staff positions).

All I can say, is an employer will want to know if you did all the work on your reel. They will want to know if you can clearly communicate what you were trying accomplish with each piece. And they will want to know you are not a blathering pyschopath.

Other than that, your reel really determines whether you get work. And apparently in NY the psychopath thing seems to be more of a guideline than a hard and fast rule.

Guest fredcamino

yes, it's all about the reel. most of the interviews i've had have consisted of the interviewer saying something to the effect of "soo... all that stuff on yer reel... you did that right?" and then i say "yeah" and they say "yer sure? you didn't just do like, the sound effects right? we don't need sound effects people" and i say "no, i did all the stuff there" and then they say "okay, come in and work for a week, we'll see how things go"

Guest SermonOfMockery

i remember reading an interview where justin harder said, when asked how come so much of his work is on other people's reels as well, "i did all those spots by myself, but i guess everyone who answered the phone or took out the trash thinks they can take the credit." i thought that was pretty funny.

Guest Sao_Bento

Get one of those clip-on ponytails and make sure to wear all black - that way they'll know you're an artist.

Guest Hubzy

One time I went into an interview with a fake arm in a fake cast. The hand was totally plastic but I think he believed it until I whipped out my real arm to count on my fingers how many times I've worked in other offices. The interviewer was totally pissed and thought I did it for a sympathy hire. Awhh hell, none of thats true.

Guest fredcamino

i did the exact same thing huzby, but i blew it when i whipped out my reall arm to count on my fingers how many hundreds of thousands of dollars i wanted to be paid. interview ended real quick, and i didn't even get one fingers worth of hundreds of thousands of dollars.

Guest nama rupa
One time I went into an interview with a fake arm in a fake cast. The hand was totally plastic but I think he believed it until I whipped out my real arm to count on my fingers how many times I've worked in other offices. The interviewer was totally pissed and thought I did it for a sympathy hire. Awhh hell, none of thats true.

ROFLMAO :lol:

Guest PXM

I had the interview for my current job 2 days after having sugery and I was f***ed out of my head on Vicodin. I explained why I was acting goofy and as it turns out, he's a huge advocate for legalizing drugs. I also used that as the excuse for being a half hour late to the interview.

Guest jo

1. know the company (what they do, company history, awards etc)

2. be honest

haven been to much interviews but out of what i'd experienced, tink these 2 pts are really important.

while interviewing for my 1st job as a mograph designer, i got a meeting with a big local corporation. bummed up real bad cos i went with zero research about what they do. couldnt answer any of the questions.. the interviewer asked if i knew of this work they did which won a promax, but i knew nuts about it..

and then, they were looking for someone to do more editing and creative brainstorming, but it was clear that i was looking for a design position. but i went ahead and said yes to practically everything.. telling the interviewer that i'll be interested to learn that too.. and also that.. and dun mind going into that.. etc.. tink the interviewer saw thru that and naturally i didnt get the job :D

Guest scsipug

Being honest is very important... and be true to yourself... is this the kind work I wanan do...Look at the companies reel do research...

I had a place contact me about an Art director position and ya that would be great but I know I m not ready... And they still want me to come in after I said I know I'm not right...

Also even when you have a job were you may be working thing can change in a way you don't want to be a part of. Then maybe it's time to move on...

I've been at my company 2 years and I love what I do for a living that won't change. I do it all the time even out of work... But its sad at work I'm uninspired we have great client but something in the office is working against me. Out office I'm doing amazing work. And that’s not how it should be.

Look for a place were you'll have a mutually beneficial relationship for both parties... I and they will receive something in return that will make great work...

There my 2 cents

Guest laughingcolors

thanks for the comments. my interview seemed to go really well, and they were impressed with my work, showed me some of the spots i'd be working on ( i thought that was as a plus, none of my other recent interviews have done that) and said i should expect to hear back this week. their a pretty big entertainment company... I know what you mean (refering to last post)..i worked on some feature DVDs and quickly kinda saw that wasn't going to be my thing, so it was just a short freelance period...