Sign in to follow this  
confused1000

DVD hardware compression for Mac?

Does anyone here use hardware compression for encoding DVDs on the mac. I've tried every kind of software compression: Apple compressor, Sorenson Squeeze, Media cleaner etc and it all looks terrible and unprofessional compared to the average Hollywood DVD. Each piece of software has it's own unique problems... over saturation, pixelation... crushed text... dodgy cross disolves etc.

I came across this the other day.

http://www.filmwareproducts.com/Wired/01MPX001.html

Someone also told me about Sonic hardware compression.

Any info from experienced users would be greatly appriciated.

Thanks in Advance

I used a MediaPress card a couple jobs ago. The compression looked great, and the batch capturing made life easy.

This was circa 2003 when software compression just wasn't much of an option. Is it worth it? Only if you have quick turnaround compression to deal with. At the time, I had a lot of DVDs and MPEG-1s to turnaround for a 4-letter word agency (Bring it Back, Do it Over ;) ) and it took a lot of the pressure off.

I know you said that you are looking for hardware compression, but you might want to take a look at Cinemacraft software. It is for the PC only, but provides excellent compression for DVD authoring.

Guest Sao_Bento
Thanks for the replies lads. Anyone else have experience with DVD hardware compression?

We used to have a Vela that looked like a shop vac and topped out at 3 Mbps - does that count?

seriously, Vela makes good stuff, but I think it's PC only.

http://www.vela.com

Wow... $3600. Is that the going rate? Is that about what you paid for yours Graymachine?

-m

Sounds about right. I mean, I didn't drop the coin on it myself. I think ours cost a little more, actually. The SDI/AESEBU option added a grand to the price tag, I think. Maybe it's dropped since then.

It seems to me that the big hurdle we low-end guys have to face is that we can't afford the pre-processing that happens BEFORE the encode. I'd wager that the best, most efficient encode is going to be one that follows a quality noise reduction pass. If you have a hardware encoder that doesn't perform that noise reduction, you're going to have the same quality faster.

I've always been intrigued by the Digital Rapids cards (digital-rapids.com), but I'm on a Mac now too. They claim to have excellent processing as well as fast encoding. Anybody got an opinion on those?

Cf