Sign in to follow this  
Guest ashy2classy

they hate me

Guest ashy2classy

why is it as a freelancer that either no jobs come at all or they all call at the same time? or someone doesn't call back for a couple of days after meeting them, then you assume they aren't interested in hiring you, so you plan to take another job then that other place calls back, so you're forced to pick who to formally flake on?

you to try to juggle but has anyone successfully split days in the week from 2 different places for a long period of time?

Guest silatix

yup. learn to juggle, get help if you have to. otherwise pick the better paying better portfolio job and keep the other as a contact somehow

Guest nama rupa

Ashy,

If you are talking to one company and are in limbo when an other comes along play them against each other. Tell the first company that someone else is getting ready to pay you and tell the second company you are on hold somewhere else. First, this makes you look in demand, and secondly, it forces companies to make a decision and not leave you hanging for weeks on end well a specific company get their shit together. And you dont have to lie. It just using the situation to your advantage.

As to working on multiple jobs at the same time, I personally dont do it. That just leads to burn out. But I know plenty of peeps who do it and do it well.

good luck

Guest silatix

interesting tactic.. i should work on that since im doing so much for so little these days.. but i just feel like i dont have a choice since my portfolio is oh-so weak

Guest I can't draw

Thought you should know about this. It is called the hold system, and we use it here in LA. Not sure about the rest of the world...

If Client A puts you on hold for a job. This is called a first hold. Doesn't always mean you have the job. Doesn't always mean they have the job. It's a hypothetical situation. They may even have other artists on hold as well.

So, Client B calls to book you on a job at the same time... There is a protocol for this. You tell Client B that Client A has you on hold. You don't need to tell them who Client A is. It is none of their business. Anyway, tell them that Client A has you on hold and that they can challenge the hold if they want. Client B may decide to challenge if they have a definite job, and will definitely hire you if Client A doesn't. (This is a commitment) Or, they can put you on a second hold. A second hold is exactly the same as a first hold, except if Client A decides not to hire you, you are still on hold for Client B, but are not guaranteed a job with them. (I know people who have been on tripple hold before!)

If Client B challenges Client A's hold, then you have to go back to Client A and tell them that they have been formally challenged for your time. You don't need to tell them who, just tell them they're being challenged. Client A then has to make a decision: Do they hire you or let you go? If they let you go, then Client B has a responsibility to hire you. If they don't, you can sue them. Or, the other possibility is that Client A will not want to lose you, even though they don't have the job yet, and will hire you at that point. If the job disappears, they are still obligated to pay you, as you turned down a definite job to work with them and can prove damages in court. I have had this happen before, for a 3 month job, and they ended up having to make up stuff for me to do because of it. Not a very good situation to be in, but you need to get paid for your time.

Anyway, I hope that helps. Should be good reading for the newbies...

Guest nama rupa
Thought you should know about this.  It is called the hold system, and we use it here in LA.  Not sure about the rest of the world...

If Client A puts you on hold for a job.  This is called a first hold.  Doesn't always mean you have the job.  Doesn't always mean they have the job.  It's a hypothetical situation.  They may even have other artists on hold as well.

So, Client B calls to book you on a job at the same time...  There is a protocol for this.  You tell Client B that Client A has you on hold.  You don't need to tell them who Client A is.  It is none of their business.  Anyway, tell them that Client A has you on hold and that they can challenge the hold if they want.  Client B may decide to challenge if they have a definite job, and will definitely hire you if Client A doesn't.  (This is a commitment)  Or, they can put you on a second hold.  A second hold is exactly the same as a first hold, except if Client A decides not to hire you, you are still on hold for Client B, but are not guaranteed a job with them.  (I know people who have been on tripple hold before!)

If Client B challenges Client A's hold, then you have to go back to Client A and tell them that they have been formally challenged for your time.  You don't need to tell them who, just tell them they're being challenged.  Client A then has to make a decision: Do they hire you or let you go?  If they let you go, then Client B has a responsibility to hire you.  If they don't, you can sue them.  Or, the other possibility is that Client A will not want to lose you, even though they don't have the job yet, and will hire you at that point.  If the job disappears, they are still obligated to pay you, as you turned down a definite job to work with them and can prove damages in court.  I have had this happen before, for a 3 month job, and they ended up having to make up stuff for me to do because of it.  Not a very good situation to be in, but you need to get paid for your time.

Anyway, I hope that helps.  Should be good reading for the newbies...

We have a nice little thread around here somewhere all about the "on hold" system. Check it :)

Guest Scorch

I've found myself in this situation quite a lot recently, and I've managed to take on every job thrown my way by working 18hr days, or however long it takes to get it done. This is one of the benefits of working from your own place; you can do 4 hrs on one job, then 4hrs on another and the client thinks you've just been working on one job. It takes some juggling, and the occasional panic, but I just can't imagine turning a job down until i've got tons of money.