Sign in to follow this  
Guest Superbig

Opening .max files with Cinema 4D

Guest Superbig

Is this possible?

Are there any extensions. Or could I open the .max file with maya or lightwave.

Help!!

Much thanks in advanced!

Guest paccollective

i don't think importing .max files directly is likely - you'll need to export your model to .3ds or .obj, or the bloated archaic .dxf and then import.

max exports create a TON of polygons, using Polytrans as an intermitant translator will help you tremendously:

http://www.okino.com/default.htm

Guest firemind

Only 3d studio max can open .max files, as they are not really fileformats but rather archives that contain a ton of data besides just a scene description. Even if you use 3dExplorer you need Max installed.

Like pacco says, export it as something else (preferably a high level exchange format like fbx) from max.

i just found out that if you save as dwg in max and open as dwg in cinema it keeps all the instances etc! a HUGE timesaver in my case!

Instances?

What do you mean, copies?

I've been trying to find the best format to move objects/scenes from Max to C4D.

You can only move objects right? Not entire scenes as suggested by the title of this thread?

Guest Sao_Bento
so whats the workflow for polytrans? as a plug in for max?

i have noticed that max .obj exports are horribly triangulated. polytrans largely fixes that?

Note that in order for Polytrans to work with .Max, you have to have 3DS Max installed on the same machine as Polytrans.

whenever I need a max file converted I usually find myself trolling through my contact list asking a buddy who uses max for a hookup.

In a real emergency you can download the max 30 day demo and save as another format, but this won't work very many times...

Edited by monovich