Sign in to follow this  
zook

AE7 and AECS3 on a Mac Pro?

Well, my new 8-core arrived and I have to say I'm impressed.

I put on CS3 and rendered out a AE comp on both my old G5 2gig Dual and the 8-Core. 35 mins 31 secs on the G5, 3mins 35secs on the Mac Pro. Woof!

The thing is, one of my biggest clients is still using AE7. So after installing CS3, on goes AE7. Totally ballsed up CS3, which then frequently quit after I booted it up. So, feeling like a right tit I wiped the lot and re-installed the system, put on all my software with the exception of AE/CS3. I figured if I put AE7 the CS3 install will overwrite the relevant bits and the both the versions will work. But . . .

I'm not sure. Should I knacker my nice clean install with the old version of AE? I can leave AE7 on the old G5 but the problem is I only have a 17 inch monitor and it's like mograph gynecology when I'm working on it. Bearing in mind my client won't upgrade for months, any suggestions?

Anyone installed over the old version on a Mac Pro?

Anyone installed over the old version on a Mac Pro?

AE versions right now are surprisingly incompatible. I had purchased two copies of AE CS3 (one upgrade, and one Production Premium). I had the upgrade on one machine, then decided to De-Activate it and install the Production Premium. The installer saw that AE CS3 was already installed, so I skipped it. After the install, I couldn't activate AE.. so I tried Uninstalling it, then it got all f-ed up. So, I had to run the "CS3 Clean Script" and start over.

However, I do have AE7 on here as I am in the same boat as you. It was on here before anything, and doesn't seem to interfere. My suggestion would be to:

Run the CS3 Clean Script:

http://www.adobe.com/support/contact/cs3clean.html

(BACK UP ALL YOUR PLUG-INS, THIS WILL REMOVE ALL ADOBE RELATED FOLDERS EVERYWHERE)

Install and active AE7, then install and activate CS3. I'm running the same machine as you and it seems to be running just peachy.

I run AE 7 and CS3 on a quad-core Mac Pro. I had 7 installed prior to CS3 and I haven't had any problems. Now that you have 7 installed after a system restore, you should be fine installing CS3. If only the entire industry could update to CS3 at the same time.... Best of luck!

Thanks chaps.

I've taken your advice and installed AE7 first, followed by CS3. So here's hoping - I did tell my client if they upgraded they would see the benefits as I would be able to work quicker using the new software, so we'll have to see what they do.

Cheers,

zook

Thanks chaps.

I've taken your advice and installed AE7 first, followed by CS3. So here's hoping - I did tell my client if they upgraded they would see the benefits as I would be able to work quicker using the new software, so we'll have to see what they do.

Cheers,

zook

Once you tell your client that you can work quicker they will always expect it.

Back in the old days it took a few days to get elements(film) from coast to coast then came fedex, fax, email and now instant messaging (thank god my clients haven't figured out iChat).

What happens when you need another day to fully flesh out an idea?

What happens when the client doesent deilver the necessary elements to you?

It's a recipe for disaster.

just my 2¢

mdr

When I say 'work quicker' I actually meant 'more efficiently enabling me to concentrate on the important parts of the process rather than waiting in greybarland for hours'.

They're not under the illusion they'll actually get it delivered any quicker, believe me.

if you don't mind me asking what are the specs of your 8 core? like how much ram and whatnot do you have......i'm making the transition from a quad core g5 to an 8 core soon! and can you run Ae7 and Ae Cs3.....so if I needed to use old plug-ins I could?

if you don't mind me asking what are the specs of your 8 core? like how much ram and whatnot do you have......i'm making the transition from a quad core g5 to an 8 core soon! and can you run Ae7 and Ae Cs3.....so if I needed to use old plug-ins I could?

X1900 graphics card, 8 gig RAM, 1x250gig drive (for system+apps) 3x500gig drives. The 23" Apple Cinema Display I also ordered started flickering and then went blank on me yesterday, as I was rushing for a deadline so I had to finish on a 19" LG that I was using for my palettes - not a happy bunny. It got taken back today, and hopefully I'll get a new one or the old one with a new power pack back next week. AE CS3 also has a wonderful random quitting thing going on, where the app just shuts, normally straight after startup, so not very chuffed with that either (moan moan!).

I think if you use your old plugins in CS3 you seriously slow down the rendering speed, but if you have both AE7 and CS3 installed on your machine that won't matter.

I GOT THE same set up

and have been scratching my head about WHY CS3 keeps quiting down. I have tried Adobe but they say the problem has been fixed?- Are you saying reinstall mycopy of 6.5 then CS3 on top?

then I will be able to run CS3 on an 8core?

what the hell kind of solution is this?

any kind of work around zook/

X1900 graphics card, 8 gig RAM, 1x250gig drive (for system+apps) 3x500gig drives. The 23" Apple Cinema Display I also ordered started flickering and then went blank on me yesterday, as I was rushing for a deadline so I had to finish on a 19" LG that I was using for my palettes - not a happy bunny. It got taken back today, and hopefully I'll get a new one or the old one with a new power pack back next week. AE CS3 also has a wonderful random quitting thing going on, where the app just shuts, normally straight after startup, so not very chuffed with that either (moan moan!).

I think if you use your old plugins in CS3 you seriously slow down the rendering speed, but if you have both AE7 and CS3 installed on your machine that won't matter.

Do you have QuickTime 7.4 by any chance? You should go back to 7.3 (there is a thread about this on this forum) or try the 7.4.1 "fix" from Apple it should fix it, but I haven't tried it. I'm on 7.3 right now.

Do you have QuickTime 7.4 by any chance? You should go back to 7.3 (there is a thread about this on this forum) or try the 7.4.1 "fix" from Apple it should fix it, but I haven't tried it. I'm on 7.3 right now.

I haven't upgraded Quicktime yet - thought I'd wait until either Adobe or Apple sorted the mess out. Several months on from my original post the quitting things still occurs, although it seems to be associated with the way graphics are displayed.

In my opinion, everything's still a little flaky with CS3 which is a shame, as it renders like a good 'un on the 8-core