Sign in to follow this  
Duder

Microsoft DV out of After Effects?

I'm trying to figure out if this is even possible. I have FCS2 and I haven't seen it in there or I must be high?

Same as WMV - no go. MS DV is part of Windows Media Components and thus unavailable on the Mac. Not sure if some hacked derivative of VLC or VirtualDub will give you that functionality, but AE itself definitely not. Question also is, why you'd even want to output to such an atrocious format?

Mylenium

why you'd even want to output to such an atrocious format?

Clients want to keep a copy of the file in the DV format on their server.

Thanks for the help. If anyone knows of a "workaround" please let me know. I do have bootcamp and XP, but need to restart everytime and do a conversion (that's how I did this one).

The AVI is just a wrapper...like the QT DV files, just wrapped in a .mov file.

I can export a QT .mov DV file, but they can't use these for some odd reason. I have to serve them, although I wish it was the other way around :/

AE in OSX exports to Quicktime DV without a problem, just not Microsoft DV (.avi)

If there was such an app available, I'd buy it.

Edited by Havok.Dzn

The AVI is just a wrapper...like the QT DV files, just wrapped in a .mov file.

I can export a QT .mov DV file, but they can't use these for some odd reason. I have to serve them, although I wish it was the other way around :/

AE in OSX exports to Quicktime DV without a problem, just not Microsoft DV (.avi)

If there was such an app available, I'd buy it.

Try this.

http://www.squared5.com/

I haven't had the need but it says it can convert to avi.

good luck

mdr

yeah, i understand that about the wrappers, but i'm guessing that the DV codec used in AVIs is MS' by default, not apple's, right? QT can definitely read the MS DV codec, and i would think it can write it as well.

what happens if you render out as QT, then export a DV AVI from QT pro? if you have a windows machine handy, try an app like GSpot to see exactly what codec the AVI is using. i'll bet you it's not apple's.

again, i don't have AE on a mac in front of me, so i'm working from memory and may be wrong...

I'm looking at AE 6.5 right now on a pc, it has the Video for windows, and in the format option it has Microsoft DV. Every once in a while we have to do the same at my work like when someone brings their files as .mov. Then we have the same endless argument about it and I have to convert them into a DV AVI with the microsoft encoder. I usually do this through vegas cuz it reads .mov without a glitch. Ok, done with all the ranting...... if you bring your rendered file from your mac into a pc you can rerender it with the microsoft dv compressor.

Try this.

http://www.squared5.com/

I haven't had the need but it says it can convert to avi.

good luck

mdr

Thanks delrossi, I will give this a try.

yeah, i understand that about the wrappers, but i'm guessing that the DV codec used in AVIs is MS' by default, not apple's, right? QT can definitely read the MS DV codec, and i would think it can write it as well.

what happens if you render out as QT, then export a DV AVI from QT pro? if you have a windows machine handy, try an app like GSpot to see exactly what codec the AVI is using. i'll bet you it's not apple's.

again, i don't have AE on a mac in front of me, so i'm working from memory and may be wrong...

Yeah, QT can play DV AVI's all day long under OSX, just no export :\

I'm looking at AE 6.5 right now on a pc, it has the Video for windows, and in the format option it has Microsoft DV. Every once in a while we have to do the same at my work like when someone brings their files as .mov. Then we have the same endless argument about it and I have to convert them into a DV AVI with the microsoft encoder. I usually do this through vegas cuz it reads .mov without a glitch. Ok, done with all the ranting...... if you bring your rendered file from your mac into a pc you can rerender it with the microsoft dv compressor.

I have a networked PC for file serving as well as bootcamp and XP Pro on my Mac, just kind of (not much) pain in the a$$ to restart into XP...I would think there'd be something concrete out by now.

Is there any reason why the client wouldn't want a more-universal DV stream (.DV) rather than one wrapped in an AVI?

These guys follow whatever that they're used to...I don't think I have room to speak in this situation :(

I just gave the original lossless Animation codec files to the client on a DVD blank, so they can do whatever they want with it.

But I did deliver the DV file via going into Windows and exporting out DV AVI files and uploading it to their server.

Next time I will ask them if they do raw DV, I was just in a hurry this time.

Thanks to everyone!