Sign in to follow this  
JR01

1080i or 720p show of hands

Who is doing HD production and are you doing 1080i or 720p ?

Just curious.... We're doing 1080i here, but seems to make more sense at the moment to do 720p in terms of storage and work flow. Maybe in a couple of years we will be better equipped to handle 1080i. Anyway, just curious what others are doing and why?

Thanks

JR

I've been working in 1080i for the past few months for in-show graphics in a series, only because that's what the broadcaster calls for. I miss the days of quick RAM previews and Motion Blur not slowing renders down to a crawl.

I'm doing a 36 second open for a show at 1080i 60fps - I just got a new machine dual quadcore Boxx that smokes through the hd no problem - i just hate the way 60fps looks - too videoy/smooth.

All 1080p at 23.98 here. Love it. It's big and a little slow, but so so pretty. If I had to choose between 720p and 1080i I'd go with 720p. Progressive just seems to make me happier, and it still looks great even though it's smaller. In fact, I've seen film out tests done side by side with 720 and 1080. The 720 looked great, and easily compared with the 1080.

md

yes...anyone have any experience with that. We have some weather graphics that are 720p that are upconverted to 1080i that look awesome.

JR

Guest dumbo

over here in NZ the broadcasters are only just switching to widescreen PAL. no sign of HD on cable or terrestrial for a long while yet...

we have been doing a few shoots on HD at slow fps though. DVCPro on a P2. Was quite good compared to 35mm.

Then have to convert the footage back to SD for broadcast...

I'm doing a film ident at 1080p 24fps, which will be put into a 2K comp for film out. I work at quarter resolution on a MacBook Pro and it's bearable with a comp that's 36+ layers deep with problably half of those being precomps.

over here in NZ the broadcasters are only just switching to widescreen PAL. no sign of HD on cable or terrestrial for a long while yet...

we have been doing a few shoots on HD at slow fps though. DVCPro on a P2. Was quite good compared to 35mm.

Then have to convert the footage back to SD for broadcast...

TV3 in NZ is looking at broadcasting some HD content next year.

Guest dumbo
TV3 in NZ is looking at broadcasting some HD content next year.

over the sky signal? or over the free to air terrestrial ?

over the sky signal? or over the free to air terrestrial ?

I think it will only be on the sky and maybe freeview broadcasts. I don't think you would need to make any HD content for quite some time. It's going to be some shows brought in from overseas in HD.

The dilemma we our facing here at the station is nothing works for crap at 1080i. But engineering just had to go that route without actually looking into equipment that can handle it without major compression...which makes everything look like svhs. We don't have enough storage, no way to move it around the building, etc. We just got P2 cameras that in my opinion look horrible (DVC Pro) unless you take off all the compression, which then you can't get a whole lot on the cards. Anyway, i'm just ranting, and wishing we would go 720p for several years.