Sign in to follow this  
silatix

linkedin

Everyones on it.. Even my sister apparently. Does anyone actually *use* it? I guess I could see it being handy if you're job hunting.. I like how all these websites make it hard for you to delete yourself. jerks..

I'm on it.... more and more people that I know are getting on it....

Guess it's gaining popularity.

Oh, it was recently mentioned in Wired...and Wired knows whats good for all of us...

Haha.. Further proof that the site is a joke. ::crosses fingers that mograph.net isnt mentioned in wired::

I'm on it.... more and more people that I know are getting on it....

Guess it's gaining popularity.

Oh, it was recently mentioned in Wired...and Wired knows whats good for all of us...

Yeah fishface, my situation exactly, dating from 3 years ago. It reminds me too much of my MBA days, and the eager-beaver 'networking' that was as appetizing to watch as dung beetles mating.

i signed up because i wanted to know some info about a random dude who emailed me. and it worked pretty well in that respect, but i don't expect to get work from it. it seems to me like monster.com meets myspace, neither of which have resulted in me getting a job or a date respectively.

hahaha.. but the prospect of seeing a potential employer in their underwear and drunk could be appealing.

i signed up because i wanted to know some info about a random dude who emailed me. and it worked pretty well in that respect, but i don't expect to get work from it. it seems to me like monster.com meets myspace, neither of which have resulted in me getting a job or a date respectively.

I went to college with the guy who started Linkedin (now CEO), who made his money as Exec VP of Paypal. He invited me to join, so I couldn't really be better connected, but I am still not feeling the benefit from it.

I know I should be networking more (does posting snide comments on mograph count as networking?), but I know folk who spend their whole lives networking and never actually produce anything.

Edited by basilisk

I know I should be networking more (does posting snide comments on mograph count as networking?),

Yeah I think it counts. :lol:

Edited by Beerad

I'm on it too...but I often feel as though people are just being needy or using me when I get an email for a connection to be made. Especially when I get them from people who I have never met, but used to work with people that I used to work with.

If I want to make "connections" with anonymous strangers, I'll just do it with all of you here at mograph. ;) For you are my people.

If you are looking for work, go through your contacts that might now how to market you and send them messages telling them what they are looking for. I think "harass" is a bad word to use here. If you are making good choices on who to approach, they might just need you. If you are making bad choices, they might just ignore you. Harassment really isn't necessary.

You mean rich people?

Point taken. Although strong self belief and a well-developed ego are probably necessary but not sufficient conditions for making lots of money. I know several "entrepreneurs" who have no inherent talents beyond networking, and probably lose as much money as they make.

I'm in on this action now. Give me an add: http://www.linkedin.com/in/ahettinger

I think the biz networking angle is kinda neat here, but it's pretty stiff atmosphere, with the profiles being set up basically as resumes. As soon as I signed up I had like 40 something contacts in a day or so and a few new projects coming my way... so seems like a pretty good place to be - even if you just stick a link to your reel on there.

I'm not good at networking with strangers... better at a company party where people had a few drinks...

But we did check out the credentials of a director my company was hiring and found out that he was way under qualified to take on that position! 3 years total work experience included stints at a food distribution company equals director position at a post house? I must be doing something wrong...

Guest Sao_Bento

I dig it. It's a small world and I'm constantly amazed where people I know or used to know end up. It's also an ego booster when you see who's been looking at your profile (assuming it was someone good). Honestly, the main reason I use LinkedIn is to make it easy for recruiters or competing companies to find me.