Sign in to follow this  
KGB

Post a picture of your workspace/studio

Wow...Chris..dude, thats an awesome place.

Not only for clients, but also as a working environment...so Zen :-)

Ferd, is that your place at home or at a studio?

The cool thing is that a lot of you have very nice views(with a lot of greenery) out of your windows.

Here, I work in the city, and even though I love the pace of the environment, all I see is a lot of construction and concrete(there are some cool car accidents a couple times every few months).

Sweet Christ! :blink:

That's pretty much what I imagine my studio looks like when I close my eyes at night and dream the most incredible lottery winning dream I could have! Congratulations on making it a reality, Chris.

-m

Thanks, G. It's been 4 arduous years in the making. :mellow:

When it's done it should be a lot more zen. Like the post rooms. (one is not built so I didn't show it at all) will all have dark wood ceilings, carved shaped walls and bamboo. Right now they are stock from the initial construction (White walls, crappy office ceiling). Also we need to make and put up a lot of the art.

Ferd, is that your place at home or at a studio?

The cool thing is that a lot of you have very nice views(with a lot of greenery) out of your windows.

Here, I work in the city, and even though I love the pace of the environment, all I see is a lot of construction and concrete(there are some cool car accidents a couple times every few months).

It's my home studio/bedroom (I work from home most of the time). My pad has a nice little terrace which we've taken to "greening" hence all the plants just outside the window. It's quite deceiving though, when I stand up the truth is revealed... my building is surrounded by parking lots (welcome to Downtown LA).

503573954_661fa6dfc7.jpg

^ an island in a sea of parked cars

When it's done it should be a lot more zen. Like the post rooms. (one is not built so I didn't show it at all) will all have dark wood ceilings, carved shaped walls and bamboo. Right now they are stock from the initial construction (White walls, crappy office ceiling). Also we need to make and put up a lot of the art.

So you guys built this building from scratch?!?! No other companies are in this building? Wow! Impressive as hell.

So you guys built this building from scratch?!?! No other companies are in this building? Wow! Impressive as hell.

Yeah, bought the land a few years ago and have been working with 2 architect firms and 2 builders since then to get it built. However the top 2 floors are two 2 story condos (My wife and I in one and Tony in the other). We decided to do economies of scale and live and work in the same structure. But move in will be many months away for the condos.

How is the Downtown LA scene these days? Everytime I go there for jobs I stay at The Standard Downtown and it seems there are new residential places popping up all the time. Looks like a great vibe is forming.

Yeah, bought the land a few years ago and have been working with 2 architect firms and 2 builders since then to get it built. However the top 2 floors are two 2 story condos (My wife and I in one and Tony in the other). We decided to do economies of scale and live and work in the same structure. But move in will be many months away for the condos.

How is the Downtown LA scene these days? Everytime I go there for jobs I stay at The Standard Downtown and it seems there are new residential places popping up all the time. Looks like a great vibe is forming.

Wow, that's awesome... I especially love that you've converted the top floors to condos, I appreciate that kind of "sustainability"... is this in Dallas?

Downtown LA is really starting to come together... they've recently opened a full service grocery store (at last), and it really seemed to be a catalyst... it suddenly feels like a legitimate neighborhood... plus it's probably the best place in LA to live without owning a car (contrary to what the sea of cars around my building indicate).

Wow, that's awesome... I especially love that you've converted the top floors to condos, I appreciate that kind of "sustainability"... is this in Dallas?

Yeah, "Uptown" area of Dallas. I'm not a fan of this city in the slightest bit. But it has a great cost of living. Once we settle, we're going to open a small Santa Monica office and I'll probably chill more there when I can.

Downtown LA is really starting to come together... they've recently opened a full service grocery store (at last), and it really seemed to be a catalyst... it suddenly feels like a legitimate neighborhood... plus it's probably the best place in LA to live without owning a car (contrary to what the sea of cars around my building indicate).

Very nice. I like the idea of small "villages" whithin cities. Areas where you don't need cars. I've lived and worked in Uptown for the last 7 years. I wrecked my last car 5 years ago and haven't bought one since (except for my wife). I just use a little Aprilia scooter (heavily modified) to get around the few block radius I inhabit. The cars in the garage are my business partners yet he only rides his bicycles or scooter as well. Go figure.

Fred, where are you downtown? near flower? we have a condo downtown on 7th and Spring. My boy used to work in it, (and you'll be happy to know that he took the bus from our place in silverlake) but now we rent it out to friends of ours who just moved here. We're also happy that the Ralph's went in. It's still a bit far from the loft, but it's something. Nice place by the way. I love the little terrace! I can just imagine you taking those big rocks up the elevator... :lol:

wow Chris. The only difference between your office and my dream office is that I would park the Dino next to my desk :)

Lol. Yeah. Good eye. Or put your comp inside it ;)

Fred, where are you downtown? near flower? we have a condo downtown on 7th and Spring. My boy used to work in it, (and you'll be happy to know that he took the bus from our place in silverlake) but now we rent it out to friends of ours who just moved here. We're also happy that the Ralph's went in. It's still a bit far from the loft, but it's something. Nice place by the way. I love the little terrace! I can just imagine you taking those big rocks up the elevator... :lol:

I'm at 8th/Grand... 2 blocks from the Ralphs. As for the rocks... as you may know Downtown LA is first and foremost a back lot for the film industry, and second a place where people work and live. The parking lots that surround my building are often filled with movie trucks, and sometimes movie props. Sometimes when a security guard isn't looking it's possible to steal large numbers of soft foam boulders that the art department probably slaved over and run them up to your loft and suddenly have a terrace that looks way cooler.

I'm at 8th/Grand... 2 blocks from the Ralphs. As for the rocks... as you may know Downtown LA is first and foremost a back lot for the film industry, and second a place where people work and live. The parking lots that surround my building are often filled with movie trucks, and sometimes movie props. Sometimes when a security guard isn't looking it's possible to steal large numbers of soft foam boulders that the art department probably slaved over and run them up to your loft and suddenly have a terrace that looks way cooler.

Were you around when Mann shot the gun battle sequence in "Heat"?

Hey Chris, how long does it takes to render it? Is it GI? or fake GI? oh no, do you use Vray for that?

What a cozy place to work man! I envy you. :mellow:

eh? Well, I wish any render you speak of was Vray. but it won't be out for C4D for probably another month :(

Cant wait for that!

Oh, but you will... you will wait. I'm not sure where Chris got that 1 month timeline, but I'd be willing to wager a new pair of shoes it will be longer. I have seen a "ready in 1 month" thread about every month since the project was started. :(

MGS4... GTA4... VRAY4C4D... they're my achilles tortoises (torti?)

-m