Sign in to follow this  
KGB

Post a picture of your workspace/studio

The "Don't touch the monitors" used to be for a set of clients that had to "point" out details in video until the LCD panel would turn colors. Drove me crazy.

This makes me livid, gut reaction is to lash out and swat their hand away haha, instead I just burn inside and have to spend the next 10 mins cleaning smudges off

recently i poured myself a tall glass of recessionade. i shut down my office and moved back home :/

now i have the spare table and a corner of the basement. at least i finally got a bar-height desk i could stand at to work

3821558989_ebaae78101.jpg

man, this drink sucks.

Edited by misanthrope.

MrBump.jpg

Just wanted to see if this thread could be milked for a few more pics. I'm moving into a new space soon and looking for inspiration!

Edit: also, Albo, I like the loft space you set up, where are the boxes? I am interested in doing something like this where the boxes are either concealed, or off somewhere in a machine room type setup - especially since I use PC's and the boxes are eyesores. (In the PC world it seems the faster they are, the uglier...)

Double Edit: C. Smith, I noticed all your pics are down, any chance you can re post?

The computers are located directly below the office area in a crawl space.

Cable length is around 15' for the various DVI connections, USB, Firewire etc., but it's a great setup. Very quiet, clean and easy to maintain.

computers.jpg

Edited by Albo

Cable length is around 15' for the various DVI connections, USB, Firewire etc., but it's a great setup. Very quiet, clean and easy to maintain.

3862795069_e3f8d350e3_o.jpg

Cool, great idea sticking it underneath. I bet the cables were fairly expensive right? Especially for the long DVI's... Did you run into any issues, like for example, isn't there a length limit on some of those connections? I totally want to do a machine room now, but it will probably be in a closet... I also really like how everything is sideways. Easy access to the front and back!

Cool, great idea sticking it underneath. I bet the cables were fairly expensive right? Especially for the long DVI's... Did you run into any issues, like for example, isn't there a length limit on some of those connections? I totally want to do a machine room now, but it will probably be in a closet... I also really like how everything is sideways. Easy access to the front and back!

I use 25ft DVI extenders on top of the built in monitor length cables (usually about 6ft) and have no problems at all. Same with USB extension cables.

www.monoprice.com

Huge inventory, cheap/high quality cables/adapters..

Edited by hyp3

Monoprice is great. Only DVI issues I've had is that occasionally I get a quick flicking of the image on the 30" LCD, but my cables are rated for Dual DVI. I know that longer lengths with that many pixels can be an issue.

Monoprice is great. Only DVI issues I've had is that occasionally I get a quick flicking of the image on the 30" LCD, but my cables are rated for Dual DVI. I know that longer lengths with that many pixels can be an issue.

That 30" monitor is Dual Link DVI, so that's maybe why you get a flicker...there is a huge amount of data being passed through.

You should get the thicker DVI cable.

Looks like an Expedition 5 camera bag there in the foreground. If so, I have the same one sitting here.

Cf

Close. Its the 8. (3 more inches of room difference ;) ) its been an excellent storehouse for my 5d + flashes. I'd recommend them to anyone.

3908503254_fea41c7e42.jpg

It's great being able to work wherever I go!

Funny enough, I've had to run C4D from my LogMeIn app on my phone to set up a render before. It worked surprisingly well. I wouldn't want to do it often, but in a pinch it saved my ass.

R

Got another 24" now and got rid of all the computer under my table, since my quad core kinda trumps them all massively. should probs make a new photo.

GYwnR.jpg

Got another 24" now and got rid of all the computer under my table, since my quad core kinda trumps them all massively. should probs make a new photo.

GYwnR.jpg

I really like your desk. Where did you get it from. Oh and thread #respawn.

That looks solid, Beaver. Pretty clean too. Do you like a nice clean workspace? My old boss never used to let us put up pictures, inspiration, or the obligatory vinyl doll. Now with my own space I try to decorate (clutter) more.

Did you end up stashing your computers in the other room?

We are both rockin' the Dell 30 and the Aeron.

Edited by monovich

That looks solid, Beaver. Pretty clean too. Do you like a nice clean workspace? My old boss never used to let us put up pictures, inspiration, or the obligatory vinyl doll. Now with my own space I try to decorate (clutter) more.

Did you end up stashing your computers in the other room?

We are both rockin' the Dell 30 and the Aeron.

There's usually more papers and crap scattered around, but I just straightened up. I've always kept my space pretty minimal other than the usual sketches & papers and whatnot. Haven't attempted the machine-room type setup yet, but maybe one day. For now, the main machine is just down on the side of the desk.

I posted my joint early in this thread while we were still building a few years ago. In that time, my 2 small post rooms have been collapsed along with adjacent hallways into one large room with adjacent machine room. This is generally my office since we're not really a post house but when we do turnkey jobs it's a place where clients can set a spell for a lil see what we're doing.

Chillin' area with Bravia in that 'monolith' for viewing the output of either the Avid|DS or anything I pipe out the Decklink card on the Mac.

SmithPostOffice1.jpg

SmithPostOffice2.jpg

PS3/Nap couch

SmithPostOffice3.jpg

SmithPostOffice4.jpg

Mac Octo Setup where I chill most of the time. Where I do C4D, Davinci, AE, Red Dailies, any non-Avid compositing, etc. Gonna add a color balanced Panasonic Pro Plasma above it in the cuppla weeks I reckon. Has a Red Rocket card in it for fast dailies or final correction (if i do it in house).

SmithPostOffice5.jpg

SmithPostOffice6.jpg

SmithPostOffice7.jpg

Avid|DS setup. Avid is on the middle 2 monitors. On the left is a seperate computer running scopes. And the very right monitor (off) is an assistant Mac for mostly roto/tracking stuff like Synth Eyes, Motor, Monet.

SmithPostOffice8.jpg

SmithPostOffice9.jpg