Sign in to follow this  
KGB

Post a picture of your workspace/studio

Adjacent machine room. In the FG is the Raid and Nitris BOB for the DS. The bottom right HP is a 9300 which runs the DS, the bottom left HP is an older 8200 which runs the Black Magic Ultra scopes. The scopes rackmount below the Avid Array was worth 6k when I bought it and now are worth $4 since Black Magic now sells full HD scopes for $700 bucks that are way better. But I've been using the old scope rack as filler for now. In the Back rack are the two 8 core Macs and a Sonnet 8GB Raid for holding all working Mac projects and to color correct from at 4K. The empty shelf is a little HDD station I made for digital dailies. After a job we usually come back with G-Drives to convert to Avid Dailies. So they park there and go thru eSata into the RAID for transcoding.

SmithPostOffice10.jpg

SmithPostOffice11.jpg

SmithPostOffice12.jpg

SmithPostOffice13.jpg

Chris, you are hereby ejected from this thread for doing a cannonball in the kiddie pool.

Ha, hadn't heard that before. Am I allowed back in if I confess the room now stinks of fresh human flatulence?

At work:

desk.jpg

Obviously, light can be a bit of an issue in the morning.

As for my setup at home, we just moved to a much, much smaller apartment, so my work area has slowly been downgraded to a single corner:

apartment.jpg

(Taken shortly after moving, so it's still a bit of a mess.)

As for my setup at home, we just moved to a much, much smaller apartment, so my work area has slowly been downgraded to a single corner:

The view makes up for it. Also what you see out your windows is beautiful.

The view makes up for it.

I absolutely agree. That would be my wife, Caitlin.

Also what you see out your windows is beautiful.

One of the perks of living in Vancouver. Though having moved here from Winnipeg, not being exposed to -50 in the winter is also a pretty noticeable perk.

I dig your home space aaron. I could get used to living/working right by the ocean like that. looks spectacular.

And yes, a great housemate also counts for a ton when considering overall workspace aesthetics!

I dig your home space aaron. I could get used to living/working right by the ocean like that. looks spectacular.

And yes, a great housemate also counts for a ton when considering overall workspace aesthetics!

Thanks. It was a little tricky trying to figure out how to make something work in such a small space -- the entire apartment is 500 square feet. I'm actually standing in the "kitchen" taking the photo. The desk ended up being perfect, though -- it's an IKEA Fredrik with printers on one shelf, monitors on the other.

The space looks amazing Chris! yeah a cognac and possibly a cigar when you first walk in. I dont think i need a picture for my 'space'

MBP with external dell mon, tablet, keyboard and somewhere for a beer...

I still have a long way to go!

I posted my joint early in this thread while we were still building a few years ago. In that time, my 2 small post rooms have been collapsed along with adjacent hallways into one large room with adjacent machine room. This is generally my office since we're not really a post house but when we do turnkey jobs it's a place where clients can set a spell for a lil see what we're doing.

Chillin' area with Bravia in that 'monolith' for viewing the output of either the Avid|DS or anything I pipe out the Decklink card on the Mac.

SmithPostOffice1.jpg

SmithPostOffice2.jpg

PS3/Nap couch

SmithPostOffice3.jpg

SmithPostOffice4.jpg

Mac Octo Setup where I chill most of the time. Where I do C4D, Davinci, AE, Red Dailies, any non-Avid compositing, etc. Gonna add a color balanced Panasonic Pro Plasma above it in the cuppla weeks I reckon. Has a Red Rocket card in it for fast dailies or final correction (if i do it in house).

SmithPostOffice5.jpg

SmithPostOffice6.jpg

SmithPostOffice7.jpg

Avid|DS setup. Avid is on the middle 2 monitors. On the left is a seperate computer running scopes. And the very right monitor (off) is an assistant Mac for mostly roto/tracking stuff like Synth Eyes, Motor, Monet.

SmithPostOffice8.jpg

SmithPostOffice9.jpg

Can I just come and hang out in your office? Please?

I recently was confined to a smaller area in the house as well... so I built up. Still testing it out (1 week old setup), but with a chair that reclines really well and the ability to rest my feet up on the back rails of the desk like an ottoman, it surprisingly turned out to be a very comfortable setup.

Unfortunately, I dropped the top monitor trying to set it up and now it won't turn on so I still have to get a replacement before knowing if its going to ultimately work out.

desk.jpg

For the curious: M-Audio BX8a speakers powered by a Line 6 TonePort UX2 interface, 2 24" monitors + two 7" Samsung U70 USB monitors, ATI Radeon HD 5700 video card. Right now I am only rocking a quad core overclocked to 3.4 and 8 GB of ram, but am waiting for the SandyBridges to come out. Then I will upgrade to a dual quad-core with 32 GB of ram (2 GB per thread) and a SSD for the system drive since I will need to re-install windows 7 with a the motherboard anyway.

Edited by AromaKat

So this is my Video/Audio/SFX station here at imago...

System1.jpg

And here's where I play games while waiting for ZX to finish renders:

System2.jpg

Sorry for the grain. Lights bad, Sun hurt eye, ugh ugh.

mancave.jpg

I moved in with the mrs a year ago, on the condition I get my mancave. And here it is in it's sad geek glory. 10 shelves of comics, toys and some workstuff hidden in between :)

soundwave.jpg

Soundwave says hi.

EDIT:

work.jpg

My desk at work. The uberslow workstation will soon be replaced with a 16-core beast with 48gb ram and a quadro 4000.

desk01.jpg

Things of note:

-Don Hertzfeldt Drawing

-Tim & Eric Calendar

-Buddy Christ on my RAID box

-R2-D2 USB hub hiding behind my left monitor

-Master Shake ceramic mug

-2001: A Space Odyseey Monolith Action Figure

-BB Gun

-Color Bars Mouse Pad

-12 Core Mac Pro

-Quad Core Mac Pro

-17" MBP

These are a few photos from this amazing old semi-truck filled to the brim of old out-date/ancient broadcast equipment behind my old work. I was lucky enough to snag a bunch of this stuff before I left there. Unfortunately though, before I could get more they just threw most of it out. But yes the old cameras have really nice broadcast zoom lenses on them. I have 5 or so of them and I did some research on them and they are pretty nice lenses all of which costing over 10K. The only issue is they have a B4 mount so as of right now there arnt many affordable options out there in the lines of mounts and the only cameras that mount them naturally are 4/3 sensor broadcast cameras.

One thing of interest though is if Scarlet ever comes out, slap a B4 mount on one of them and you could have a F1.4-22, 7.5-97mm zoom lens...

Maybe one day.