Sign in to follow this  
jblessing

Cinema 4D textures distort

Help!

I'm trying to close up some holes in a .3ds model I brought into Cinema 4D, and the textures that are already UVW mapped go crazy when I try to create new polygons on the existing model. I've tried selecting all the polys on that side and making n-gons out of them, but that only works some of the time (other times it says it's an n-gon, but you can still clearly see the triangles inside it distorting the texture). Any ideas on how to fix this? If this was only happening in one spot I would just recreate that wall, but I have a number of places that I need to fix and I can't redo all of them..

l_73f9b574f65e04865ae97546302dca3d.jpg

As far as I can tell from this screen capture your selected normal is pointed in the wrong direction. Try select the normals and choose: reverse normals. Or you can select all polygons and select align normals from the functions menu...

Cheers, Lex

Thanks for the help.

The UV Terrace command helped some areas, but I've still had some areas that I can't figure out how to fix (I've tried the align normals before with untriangulating into n-gons with limited success).

Is there another way of filling in the holes in the geometry and keeping the surrounding UV mapping ok?

What Monkey was saying was the answer. Kill the UV mapping, remap the material on as Flat or Cubic, size-rotate-position the texture using the Texture/Texture Axis tools. Then, it's your option to either leave it on flat or cubic, or to right-click on the texture tag and choose Generate UVWs. That last step isn't important--just keep it as non-UVW mapped.

That is definitely a reversed normal on that polygon. When you create new polygons this often happens--it's something you have to keep an eye on as you go.

You can see what the UV Terrace command is doing if you go into Bodypaint. Suffice it to say that it takes a stray UV 'polygon' and tries to put it back in the hole where it came from. Sometimes it doesn't work, and you're stuck turning on 'Snap to points' or 'Snap to edges' (still in BodyPaint) and moving the stray 'polygon' back into the hole where it belongs. But with a flat object being in the world of UVWs is needlessly complicated.

Actually when I have extra time and I have a mesh this ugly, I'll kill all the polygons, use the Bridge command to recreate the wall as quads using only the corner points, and then run an Optimize to delete all the stray points. But it's not necessary, just obsessive/compulsive neatness. If you have a door or window in that wall, you'd have to redo the inner extrude and other steps to create the hole.