Sign in to follow this  
delrossi

Words made out of lightbulbs

Ok boys and girls

I'm looking to do some titles and one of the ideas I had was to have "Their name in lights"

using light bulbs(Duh).

My question is, is there an easy way? Outside of laying out each individual bulb (there are 60 in the letter "A")

Is there a fill with object (lightbulb) command? Also I would like to make them glow volumetrically and flicker at random (I know I'm asking for tooo much ;) )

I'll be using AE and C4d.

The other idea would be to use a series of masks and blurs in AE 3D space and fake it ;)

Any help or pointers to tuts would be greatly appreciated

thanks in advance.

mdr

Here's how I'd do it:

- make a volumetric light in C4D

- use CSTools to make it flicker at random

- Align it to your letter spline using the Align to Spline tag

- Duplicate it as many times as needed

- offset each light in the Align to Spline tag as far as needed.

- send me money

That last one is the most important ;) There's probably an even easier way using the MoGraph module, but this is one way to do it.

Guest Sao_Bento
boris fx has a new LED plugin. works quite well. have just been using it myself...

http://www.borisfx.com/product/continuum/a...filters.php#led

otherwise mograph would be a good solution

Two words - BALL ACTION.

Oh yeah, there's also a plug-in called Ball Action that can do this kind of stuff in AE. Just make your text, then make an adjustment layer with ball action on top of it, color and glow to taste.

Hey all,

Thanks for the replies.

I (I mean my client) is cheap and can't afford Particular, or the Boris filters, so I'm working the old fashioned way.

Cut and paste.

One thing I've found is that when using multiple lights they multiply the light DUH! :blush:

So after I have 20 or so lights I now need to vary the intensity.

Without selecting the lights independently is there a way to set up a brightness control (for lack of a better word)?I've searched but obviously I'm missing sumthin :blink:

I have a screen capture of the project here

You light up my life

thanks again

mdr

I remember there was a tutorial in the AE 6.5 total training DVD where Maffit did this with the stroke effect by messing with the spacing slider. It was wayyy more complicated than it should have been, but it did end up looking like marquee lights. Built in effect baby!

I remember there was a tutorial in the AE 6.5 total training DVD where Maffit did this with the stroke effect by messing with the spacing slider. It was wayyy more complicated than it should have been, but it did end up looking like marquee lights. Built in effect baby!

Another plug-in that does this is B-Dots and B-Stroke from FanDev's Bikini Dots package.

http://fandev.com/bikinidots.html

Hey all,

One thing I've found is that when using multiple lights they multiply the light DUH! :blush:

So after I have 20 or so lights I now need to vary the intensity.

Without selecting the lights independently is there a way to set up a brightness control (for lack of a better word)?I've searched but obviously I'm missing sumthin :blink:

You could achieve this quickly using the set driven & set driver method.

• select all of your lights but one (the one will be the main controller light)

• in the attributes for the multiple lights, right click the "Intensity" parameter, -> Animation -> Set Driven

• select the one control light (you may want to name this control light something different from all the other lights like "Master Light")

• in it's attributes, right click Intensity -> Animation -> Set Driver

Basically once this is done all you have to do to control the intensity of every light is change the Master Light intensity and it will trickle down to all the others.

There are definitely more modular ways to do this, but just harder to explain without pixelf*cking your screen over your shoulder :blink: And besides, I am not the original pixelf*cker anyway.

Hope this helps. Good luck!

Edited by JonAndesign

You could achieve this quickly using the set driven & set driver method.

• select all of your lights but one (the one will be the main controller light)

• in the attributes for the multiple lights, right click the "Intensity" parameter, -> Animation -> Set Driven

• select the one control light (you may want to name this control light something different from all the other lights like "Master Light")

• in it's attributes, right click Intensity -> Animation -> Set Driver

Basically once this is done all you have to do to control the intensity of every light is change the Master Light intensity and it will trickle down to all the others.

There are definitely more modular ways to do this, but just harder to explain without pixelf*cking your screen over your shoulder :blink: And besides, I am not the original pixelf*cker anyway.

Hope this helps. Good luck!

Jon,

Thanks a bunch.

I'm just getting started in C4d and sometimes my ideas get ahead of my abilities.

works like a charm :)

mdr

Jon,

Thanks a bunch.

I'm just getting started in C4d and sometimes my ideas get ahead of my abilities.

works like a charm :)

mdr

You are welcome! I just realized today that I explained it to you backwards, should be Set Driver first and Set Driven second... But it looks like you figured it out, sorry about that!