Sign in to follow this  
Guest I can't draw

Suggestions for After Effects 7.0

Guest I can't draw

Let's not make this a bitch and rant session, just suggestions about things we'd like to see implemented/fixed in the next version of After Effects.

I'll start:

- Ability to import plain text files into projects

- Simple extrusions and displacement mapping of 3d layers. We're not asking for raytracing here (yet). Just something simple so we don't have to use a 3d app or zaxworks to extrude type or whatever.

- Control over the number of passes used for motion blur. The motion blur in After Effects is too steppy looking at times. This is not a shutter angle issue, it is an issue with the number of passes it uses.

- Enhanced (fixed) RPF/RLA support. The RPF camera import function from After Effects does not work correctly because it uses different 3d space than true 3d programs. And it changes the focal lengths of the imported cameras.

- 3d particles that use after effects's comp camera. Yes, trapcode's particular is awesome, but after effects really needs some of their own.

-Enhanced stability on PCs. Too many memory errors on PCs with no suggestions for how to fix them.

-Enhanced render/export options. When you render out of After Effects, you don't have the option to prepare for internet streaming like you do from quicktime pro.

-Just like we have multiple output modules for a render item, it would be great to have multiple render settings for an item.

-more codecs pre-shipped with After Effects, such as the latest ones from Avid, Blackmagic, and DivX.

-Add 3d capabilities to the text effects.

-Including unmult as a standard plug-in

-rectangular or area lights. Also, control over the aspect ratio of a spotlight would be great.

-Adding a change to the render settings/output module order so that if your comp is 720x540 and you want to render 720zx486 interlaced, you don't need to precomp first. Right now, if you set a 720x540 comp to render interlaced and squeezed to 720x486, it gets messed up because it shrinks the movie after interlacing, rather than the other way around.

-Allow you to easily customize the render finished sound. I miss the old one terribly.

That's it of the top of my head. I'm sure there will be many many more later...

Guest nama rupa

Interesting thread idea.

hmmm...

1. Determine what is causing AE 6 and 6.5 to pinwheel all the time, while using OS10.3 on dual G4 and G5, and fix it. This has been driving me crazy for the last 5 months.

2. I know they have a history option in the edit menu but I would like a history pallete like in Photoshop and Illustrator.

3. I dont know how this would work but after reading the "step and repeat" thread by wing, it might be kewl to have a record action, again like in PS and AI.

I know there is more but I cant think anymore. :?

Guest I can't draw

I think the whole record thing is probably covered by the new scripting tools and animation presets. But, yes, perhaps a simpler/more user friendly way of doing it, just like in photoshop. Excellent idea. Man, then we could start a whole After Effects actions exchange for cool effects...

Guest nama rupa

Yeah thats my point about Actions in AE. I figured you could probably script anything but not everyone can or enjoys coding. Actions would simplify things a bit.

Guest silatix

here here on the actions thing.. i cant script.. even when i was in computer programming class in 8th grade id end up making ascii art

also i was kind of thinking of adding more tools from photoshop and ai into after effects.. they could also be a part of the plugins in menu.. and possibly a style option that couild go with new object or double click a graphic and have a style sheet but more geared towards what after effects is capable of..

and an extruding plugin similar to ps

Guest I can't draw

Digital Anarchy makes a plug-in called 3d layer, which does basic extrusions and displacement mapping, but it is damn near impossible to make it integrate with a pre-existing scene. I don't want it as a plug-in. I want it as a layer option. Just call it "layer depth" or whatever, with a slider next to it.

Guest what?

it would be great if they could make the workflow more like shake. by this i mean that when you precomp a comp you could still have access to all the controls of that comp. you would have like a twirly on the precomp and then inside that would be all the original controls that are in the precomp. cause it's a pain in the arse having to open the precomp in another window and change the controls there. and you could go as deep into a comp as possible, so say you have a precomp in a precomp in a precomp you would just keep clicking down the twirlies.

also, making the cloning tool more like photoshop rather than bezier curves. or having the choice between the two. cause when you start doing some heavy cloning having 600 billion really complex curves does slow you computer down just a tad! and also takes about 6 hours to save!

Guest parallax

-proper curve editor/dope sheet

-node based workflow, combined with the layer based approach would kick more arse then you can possibly imagine.

-better caching system/ real-time preview a la combustion/motion

Guest what?

there's one of those already. listen, sit down and i'll talk you through it:

1. open after fx

2. create a new comp

3. go file>import>'psyop_drift2.mpg'

4. drag this into the comp

5. add to render que, and render.

cool huh! this little trick has worked wonders for me many many times. you can also add your own creative juices into the mix by rotating it or scaling it up!

Guest juicysauce

I'd like to be able to use the Flowchart View to actually change the relationships between elements, similar to the way you can manipulate nodes in Combustion (or Maya).

Guest what?

yeah, what the hell use is the flowchart. is it just so they can put a picture on their website of it, so it looks like shake or combustion.

Guest silatix

ya.. i have that.. i just wish ae would have its own version.. theres a lot you can do with lux but i still feel limited.. i guess just because my recent projects needed elements that lux couldnt produce

don't wanna be patronizing but is this what you mean?http://www.trapcode.com/products_lux.html

Guest pixel_pimp

The ablitiy to have folders in the Render Queue. After many rounds of changes it would be nice to organize all the comps for the final render into a folder. That other people can quickly get to and find out what you had render for the job. Or if the job comes back and need a few tweaks.

Real-Time Effects like Apple Motion. I like how you can have the seq. loop and tweak settings with out having to hit play or RAM preview everytime.

Improved Flow Chart view, Like Inferno or Shake would be cool.

To reveal keyframes in a Pre Comp from for "Main" Comp. If you have something PreComped and need it to match a movement in you "Main" Comp. Always find myself opening 2 windows and seq. to adjust timing and stuff. Maybe a twirl down option.

Improved Velocity curve editor or view.

To Scale Manipulator Handles without hacking the perf file. In 3D view they get small and you can't adjust there size. Like in Maya a simple "- or +" makes easy works of that.

a 3D plane. Like 3D Forge I think. It makes 3D geometery in AE for bending stuff in 3D space. a Native intergration would be cool.

3D Type, Similar to Zaxwerk, but easy to get to the properties. and Animation Presets for 3D type, letters roll in on the y axis and land then track out. Stuff like that.

Guest dhobizal

i'm sorry, but it seems like some people want AE to be flint, flame, inferno, or combustion...so...

just having fun bro.

:D

Guest silatix

some people? i highly doubt theres some guy at adobe saying.. jeez guys, i think after effects is becoming to advanced, we dont want to be like a high end discreet program.. lets just chill

theres no reason for ae's platform to not become as powerful as any of those programs.. or adobe will release something that can comepete under a different name.. but they have know by now how many people are loyal to ae and will stick with it until it becomes that powerful

or could i be entirely wrong.. stupid hypothesis

i'm sorry, but it seems like some people want AE to be flint, flame, inferno, or combustion...so...

just having fun bro.

:D

Guest Animeishon

what parallax said

plus better intergration with maya

and of course make client happy button

Guest mr.Squiggle
-proper curve editor/dope sheet

Improved Velocity curve editor or view.

I find this is the major advantange of using combustion over AE, I hate fidling with those little handles.

A big advantage AE still has is its wide plug in compatiblity. I would like to see AE7 work with photoshop plug ins again. I just went back to an old project & had to install AE6 again as I cant get 6.5 to load any PS plug ins.

Guest silatix

i must not be using combustion right because it just never seems to do what i want it to do .. ya the particle library is cool.. ya the layout and such are more eye pleasing and not all spread out .. but i dunno.. i hear combustion is going to go the way of an edit progam soon anyway so that will be one less ae competitor