Sign in to follow this  
Guest I can't draw

Suggestions for After Effects 7.0

Guest mr.Squiggle

combustion has an edit fuction added on, that hardly makes it less of a competitor. You sound almost like you want there to be less competion? AE has been playing catch up since c*2 came out (vector paint, 3d, text tool) its probably mainly due to combustion the AE now comes with decent tracking & colour tools for a resonable price.

I have no interest in apple motion but bring on the competion, keeps everyone on their toes.

i must not be using combustion right because it just never seems to do what i want it to do .

I want it not to crash... which its getting better at.

Guest I can't draw

Thought of one more small one: The ability to vertically enlarge the layer tracks in the timeline window, perhaps with a small preview icon of the media that is on the layer, like in Final Cut Pro. It would make it a lot easier to find the layer you are looking for in complex timelines. Also, more layers. Am I the only one who finds it frustrating to be limited to 7 colors? On that subject, I want a select all layers of the same color function, as well...

Guest SermonOfMockery

how about being able to constrain movement to 45 degree axes when holding shift like every other goddamn up under the sun (AE only constrains movement to 90 degree axes).

Guest coen

Shft +/- on the numerical keyboard let's your layer increment rotation in steps of 10, not quite what you wanted but at least it's somthing..uh...

thought of trying it and shift rotationtool_does_snap to 45 degrees in 6.5 :D

Glad i cant draw mentioned the 3d for textlayers. That's a biggy for me too

I hate the way how you have to open up to comps to see how adjusting something in a precomp affects your main comp. Why not have something like layersets in photoshop.

A me too for the fcurve editor, please.

3d navigation at this time sucks

Lot's of good stuff in every release though, if only because they include a lot of former plugin's.

Guest coen

Been there :)

They didn't put in the 3d text with 6.5 though. Funny I mentioned it at the media motion AE- list and nobody responded. Guess not to many people have thought of what possibilities open up when the type tool would have 3d space....I was sort of dissapointed when that though hit me as a hammer and then found that it wasn't there.

Guest I can't draw
adobe take feature requests on this page: http://www.adobe.com/support/feature.htm

Thanks, Igor.

Yes, the purpose of this thread is to eventually collect all of the suggestions and forward them to adobe. I think having a good discussion first is important before we can do that.

When the thread starts to run its course, I'm going to let adobe know about it.

Out of curiousity, have any of you beta tested for adobe before? I would like to, and I think it would be great if a few of you beta tested as well. Then, at least, we would be able to bitch to the right people about our problems, instead of eachother, which really accomplishes nothing.

Guest I can't draw

Stroke plug-in that is more like Illustrator's version of stroke. For example, it can be continuously rasterized and has options for different kinds of miters, caps, joins, and dotted/dashed lines.

Guest funky duck
student prices for non-students

Well, someone told me that there's this uber cheap version, called Limewire or something. I'm not sure though...

Guest Scorch

I'd like to see better control of imported video footage in AE, so that you can more easily cut stuff up and edit it together, I guess this requires better caching as the RAM preview would get a hammering. Unless of course you can already do this and I've been blind for the past 6 years.

Guest ASTRiDMan

er, if this is in AE already someone please tell me...a place to add comments to a project,

you work your ass off for a lovely client, who asks for 347 changes (one at a time), then realizes it was 'just right' 14 versions ago, you've been diligent about keep project backups, but damned if you can remember if you need lovely_proj42.aep or lovely_proj18.aep

also, why does the background color of a comp have its own menu item? put it in the comp setting window for goodness sake.

Guest I can't draw

In my first post I had mentioned the need to import or write simple text documents for this exact situation. What I do as a workaround is add a "notes" comp to my project, where I just use the text tool to keep track of iterations and project notes. Also, it's great to have a notes comp for when you archive your jobs. Then, when you have to go back into it a year later, you have a document that helps decode everything.

There is also a notes column you can add in the timeline, but it is damn near worthless...

In terms of versioning animations, it helps to keep iteration numbers of renders the same as iteration numers of projects. open_test_42.mov is rendered from open_42.aep, open_test_87.mov is rendered from open_87.aep, etc. It's a little extra work and organization, but well worth it in the long run.

Also, embed a project link when you render. Then you can open the project from the rendered movie. Consult the user manual for more on this subject...

Guest ASTRiDMan

quite right about the versioning, and that is exactly what I do. except when the client has you jumping around from version to version of previous project files grabbing things they liked...best laid plans always get mucked up.

good point about the comments column too, I think my brain had blocked that out until now, not 100% what I'd like, but I think I'll start using it.

Guest finegrit

Export camera data.

Why do I have to build my camera data in Maya and then export to AE? It makes so much more sense to rough out animations with 2.5D layers in AE and then build out 3d parts in MAya and then end up back in AE for final compositing.

Guest Feniks

I think the only things I miss are :

- stability when working with audio, crashes 9/10 - Directshow Error

- Advanced distributed rendering (kinda rendering over the network while further working - similar to x-factor plugin)

- Rewriting of the network rendering, like backburner from discreet, one rendermanager and servers that run in the background that don't need to startup ae for rendering and have to be assigned to a watch folder.

- Stability with higher resolutions 2k and up.

For the rpf/rla thingies, i'm currently betatesting a plugin for max that allows to copy paste camdata, lightsetup and the properties of a transformable plane. Works very well so far, with correct fov's and stuff.

Maybe further improvement on the rpf-possibilities, more like combustion-style.

Guest I can't draw

Yes, there is an inherent problem with After Effects 2.5D, as compared to true 3D. After Effects does not use the same coordinate system as 3d programs like 3D studio max, maya, and Cinema 4D.

In terms of After Effects exporting camera data, yes, absolutely, I would love that. But what format do you suggest they export as? As a max project, maya project, cinema 4d project, etc? That would be great, but I doubt Adobe is going to invest any time trying to get their stuff to work with another software manufacturer's, which is really a shame. What about VRML? Does anyone know if that is a viable solution? I know next to nothing about that file format.

And yes, After Effect's RPF support is pretty bad. They have done nothing to fix it since it was introduced...

Guest parallax

And yes, After Effect's RPF support is pretty bad. They have done nothing to fix it since it was introduced...

I agree very much. I wonder why i have used it anyway, cause it almost never turns out usefull. i might as well line some planes up in 3D myself.

Guest Feniks

Oh, another thing, auto-rotoscoping, meaning making the rotobezierpoints of a mask trackable, shouldn't be that hard to do...

Guest myExperiment

i want them to include their RAW camera file importer. we could have perfect control of our photographs. also be able to keyframe those photograph modifications.

even better, the video camera makers should have their products record in raw format like their still cameras do. that would be rad.

Guest AMO

A capture feature straight from Firewire or video card (like Discreet Combustion, even though I dont't like it, it's a nice touch). Direct Export to MPEG-2. The effects pallete was/is in need of an overhaul for the new millenium.

Guest Beaver

Something I just thought of while working on a :90 piece, how about the ability to create a special "editing" comp where you could put your comps together in a linear way like final cut or premiere, instead of making the "staircase." You would still have the ability to make regular AE comps, the "editing" comp would just be a new feature.

Guest ASTRiDMan

ha! staircase...I made one last night!

howz about:

3D wireframe reference floor? ...you screwed up a camera move (prob becuase auto-orient is still on) and you're left wondering where the heck you are

Floor or Wall Solids - solids that go on forever in 3d space.