Sign in to follow this  
James Anderson

My Heinz Ketchup Commerical

Hey Everyone,

I recently made a commercial for a Heinz Ketchup competition and am now a finalist of over 5000 entries. I did all the CG and post.

Its the one called "Uncap The Smile" by Joseph Garner

Check it out here:

http://www.topthistv.com/vote.aspx

I'm looking for some criticism and some votes (if you like it ;-))

We're currently in 2nd place and the competition ends monday.

Thanks!

I already voted for "The Ketchup Queen"...sorry, James. The script / shoot / edit is great and the acting is spot on.

I didn't look at these as an animator. I worked with a large Ad Agency for years and sat in on many "brainstorming sessions" with Account Execs. What stood out to me about yours...and the animations were very good...was the fact of glass bottles at a baseball game. It wasn't believable to me because I personally have never seen any stadium serve ketchup in a glass bottle before. If a few renegade packets decided to get together & jump out from behind the counter, ran after the little girl & jumped up into her lap, would have been more believable to me.

Good luck!

Joey

I already voted for "The Ketchup Queen"...sorry, James. The script / shoot / edit is great and the acting is spot on.

I didn't look at these as an animator. I worked with a large Ad Agency for years and sat in on many "brainstorming sessions" with Account Execs. What stood out to me about yours...and the animations were very good...was the fact of glass bottles at a baseball game. It wasn't believable to me because I personally have never seen any stadium serve ketchup in a glass bottle before. If a few renegade packets decided to get together & jump out from behind the counter, ran after the little girl & jumped up into her lap, would have been more believable to me.

Good luck!

Joey

pfftttt whatever man... thats the same argument as saying that glass couldnt possible bend like that. i would disregard the comment that its unbelievable that a stadium would have glass bottles. im pretty sure that pre-plastic it is conceivable... but what i really wanna know is, why do i give a shit about a spec job. i think we all know how i feel about that.

Too literal of a crit. Anyway, having been in advertising myself for six years, I can't bear to watch these things. Unless someone tells me there's a really good one, I'm too afraid I'm going to see yet another of those grand marches of amateurs who all came in with the lifelong belief that doing a thirty is easy and then pull out a pun, or something with no logic, or some maudlin poo with kids staring balefully into the lens. It's like that MoveOn.org set of 300 member-submitted commercials in 2003, of which exactly zero were any good, and I'd have to say that the ratio of zero in 300 was actually higher than normal.

She pours on a pretty gross amount of ketchup. I can see how the glass bottles make a nice subject to animate - maybe that's why you used them, but I agree with silversurfer, it felt out of place (and I hadn't read any comments here before deciding that). It was all shot and animated nicely though. Technically good for sure.

I'm gonna restate what the other ex-advertising-dudes said.

Having worked for 10+ years in several agencies (during which i think i've written/art directed/seen too many spots), i kinda tend to oversee the technical beauty of your film and stop at the concept part. Which, in my opinion, is pretty naive and really predictable. Like a clichee (woops, i wanted to avoid that term, sorry). But i voted for it :D

Anyway, since we're on the mograph forum, i think the spot is well done - cg-wise.

..but then again, i'm having a hard time getting over the poor concept, sorry :)

I thought the clinking of glass when the cart stopped was really bad sound design. The animation and the rest of the spot were fairly good - funny how a sound design element can stand out. I also agree with Beaver. The amount of ketchup she pours on is just wrong.

I thought this spot was awesome. So many of the amateurs out there just go comedy. It's nice to see some CG and good work put into something different.

So the concept is a little sappy - so what? This spot definitely appealed to my mom more than it did to me (like I've ever been to a baseball game).

Also, wtf is wrong with you people trying to say that glass bottles at a baseball game is 'unbelievable'? The damn bottle IS ALIVE!!!

If anything, I'd say that the girl just poured the ketchup bottle's guts all over her dog (which she then proceeded to NOM NOM NOM).

It gets my vote

Honest opinion:

Thought I flashed back to '96. The lens work, acting, animation was all way over-the-top. Maybe some "Golly shucks" type parents will think it's cute but I wasn't into it at all. Sorry. And yeah, the concept is missing for me.

I just felt it was one step away from the old lady staring at a fork in black and white while hearing the VO guy saying "Are you tired of all those hard to use forks?". She looks in the lens and nods in agreement. Cut to color. NOW THERE"S SOMETHING NEW!! THE FORKINATOR. Cut to housewives and old ladies over-acting in wide lenses using some retarded gadget sold for $19.95 that will solve ALL of their problems if they just act now.

I just felt it was one step away from the old lady staring at a fork in black and white while hearing the VO guy saying "Are you tired of all those hard to use forks?". She looks in the lens and nods in agreement. Cut to color. NOW THERE"S SOMETHING NEW!! THE FORKINATOR. Cut to housewives and old ladies over-acting in wide lenses using some retarded gadget sold for $19.95 that will solve ALL of their problems if they just act now.

I would totally buy a forkinator. Do you know where I could get one? And why do they make those forks so hard to use? It makes me so mad sometimes.

I would totally buy a forkinator. Do you know where I could get one? And why do they make those forks so hard to use? It makes me so mad sometimes.

Dude, I know. When do you know which kind to use? 3-tine, 4-tine? WTF how am I supposed to get food to my mouth with such a complicated device? Do you grab the pokey end or the other end? Do you lay it on top of the food? Or do you pour food onto the fork? SO FRUSTRATING. There needs to be a better way. One that I can afford that comes with a bunch of small accessories for helping me also do things like open a door, or turn on the TV without using more than 1 muscle group, or to smile.

these things devalue our business...ffs - we have to compete against each other now to 'win' the right to advertise for friggin Heinz ketchup?

check out 'kissable ketchup' - pretty sad to see creatives bowing down (or is it bending over) to accept mundane mediocracy.

nothing against you James, but the whole concept of this pisses me off.

these things devalue our business...ffs - we have to compete against each other now to 'win' the right to advertise for friggin Heinz ketchup?

check out 'kissable ketchup' - pretty sad to see creatives bowing down (or is it bending over) to accept mundane mediocracy.

nothing against you James, but the whole concept of this pisses me off.

fyi: this spot was second place over all.

I remember a brash copywriter named Billy Pierce once told me how this kind of thing works. If you're going to work at a place that's not that good and you think you're going to do better, you're fooling yourself. If you see bad work on the walls where they display their best work, in six months your work is going to be that bad. You're not going to raise their work; they're going to lower yours.

It's the same thing here. When has Heinz ever done a good ad? I just looked on AdCritic.com for due diligence, but I don't see anything from the US. So from the very start you're in a losing game here. The winner was always going to be a piece of shit like 'Kissable Ketchup.' The guys who judged the contest have never approved a good ad in their lives. They might even have showed the contest entries around the entire office, and every receptionist and assistant misted over at the cute kids, and that swung the vote. Or they just suck all by themselves without any help from other people. Packaged food ad clients are the most risk-averse losers in all the creative world.

Luckily this doesn't hold in motion graphics because there's a lot more self-determination by far than in advertising. There are less layers to get through (I had five levels of people reviewing my ads before they got to the client) and less overkill on the research and 'brand management.' Basically less expensive, wasteful, useless territoriality.

I remember a brash copywriter named Billy Pierce once told me how this kind of thing works. If you're going to work at a place that's not that good and you think you're going to do better, you're fooling yourself. If you see bad work on the walls where they display their best work, in six months your work is going to be that bad. You're not going to raise their work; they're going to lower yours.

So true.

Well, good. Now I feel justified for all the mediocre crap I've ever had to shoot ;)